Butch Jones Discussion

I could definately notice the expected pickup at a glance during football season in past years.

Has it always been over the top in here like this during football season? Is this the norm?

It has gotten much worse this season. Fewer reasoned voices, or perhaps almost the same number, just drowned in the cacophony of the shrill and negative.

It's a bit of a cesspit now. Pity, because this used to be a wonderful site to talk Tennessee football.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope he's referencing the CJ Lewis decommittment. The same qb that Volnation had a dying duck fit over cause he wasn't rated high but got an offer after a camp.

Everyone knew this was going to happen. The earlier the better. Have to cull some of the lower ranker recruits when the big boys want to come in. There will be some more before February.

Because of my association, I would say there far worse conversations outside this blog. Trust me..........its worse than this. Thanks for the advice, I did plan on killing this account......good call and good luck. I respect your opinion. :yes:

I never trust someone who ask people to trust them. Trust is earned , and one does not have to ask for it.

yeah its par for the course here :dunno:

I shoulda known ya'll was bad company after how quick I got comfortable and felt right at home after posting.

I've only decided a few people must be the dumbest irrational sob nega turncoat to ever think they're VFl before realizing you can't google, read, process, and type the volume and content of VOL info & lore in 10 - 20 minute increments between posts some of us do. Then begrudgingly accepting they're just a passionate VFL

This place is good stuff

OMG!! The sky is falling! Oh no!!! Me thinks someone got into the liquor cabinet before posting....

Attachments

• giphy (7).gif
    giphy (7).gif
    194.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 1 person
It has gotten much worse this season. Fewer reasoned voices, or perhaps almost the same number, just drowned in the cacophony of the shrill and negative.

It's a bit of a cesspit now. Pity, because this used to be a wonderful site to talk Tennessee football.

I've noticed a certain fluctuation of the shrill and negative. The cacophony seems to be taking on a quantitative measure that can be timed and holds to a recurring pattern.

For some reason it seems to reach a schrill peak crescendo every Monday mid afternoon to early evening.

I find it odd as there is hardly any new information conveyed during that time that hadn't already been conveyed or stated digitally.

Dont really remember a top school being raked over the coaches after stupid comments from a current coach like Tennessee has been.

It happens all the time, man. We just focus on UT so it seems like a massive screw up. Its a blip. Will it be brought up again? Of course it will. Just like Urban Meyer and the Loser Pizza, Bob Stoops choking, Harbaugh sleeping on a kickers floor, Clemsoning, I'M A MAN- I'M 40!, etc, etc.

If you step back a few feet and look at the entire picture, its a minor thing. That's my point.

People are acting like that comment is Butch's Waterloo and that is asinine.

Took Bo an entire season to win 9 games. Riley still has 2, and possibly 3, games left to go above that mark. That is improvement.

Without mentioning Tennessee or Jones, can you address the weak schedule that Freak laid out for you?

And explain taking a 9 win team and winning 5.

I seriously want to see if you can do it.

Last edited:
Butch has improved every year. Until he shows that the trend of improving every year is over, IDK why the hell anyone would want him gone.

We should get some IQ testing done on this site,jesus..

Improved every year? That's debatable .
A better record does not in itself prove improvement!, it's a result in part due to lesser competition , and more talent!

There is. A Lot of evidence to the contrary

A better record does not in itself prove improvement!, it's a result in part due to lesser competition , and more talent!

LOL Jesus Christ! We have officially reached a new low in terms of fan dissatisfaction. Wins and losses are the ONLY metric that matters when measuring improvement!

Reactions: 2 people
Without mentioning Tennessee or Jones, can you address the weak schedule that Freak laid out for you?

And explain taking a 9 win team and winning 5.

I seriously want to see if you can do it.
What does a 9 win team winning 5 mean? If a team wins 5 games, they are a 5 win team not a 9 win team.

Earlier, in the Butch Jones discussion thread I was bashed for asking if Butch sealed his fate with this Champions of Life" nonsense.

I am and have been a Butch supporter and think anyone that questioned his job security is crazy.

However, kids do not like to be ridiculed and I dont see high touted recruits subjecting themselves to it.

It has begun.....

This guy does this all the time. He figures if he slinging the crap against the wall that something may finally stick. He's a hater and never has anything good to say. Its one thing to disagree but this guy just spreads hate. I think its Catbone's Alt. LOL

It has gotten a lot worse or you perceive it to be a lot worse because more are offering a different opinion than you!
I didn't know you were the Jesus of UT football!
Please send me your bible of UT football so I will only be correct in my future post

This guy does this all the time. He figures if he slinging the crap against the wall that something may finally stick. He's a hater and never has anything good to say. Its one thing to disagree but this guy just spreads hate. I think its Catbone's Alt. LOL

Probably right on this one, but I have plenty of positive to say on here. This one a bit premature, as a reaction to CJ Lewis decommit. As lve read more, his is probably not that big of a deal. But I do think overall this will have a negative effect on recruiting . Hope im wrong though.

It has gotten a lot worse or you perceive it to be a lot worse because more are offering a different opinion than you!
Please send me your bible of UT football so I will only be correct in my future post

Perfect example of what I'm talking about, right there.

It's a pity.

Reactions: 3 people

A better record and more talent could be considered improvement. 2nd in the east to Florida again is not an improvement, but beating them is improvement.

I think you proved vol 82s point. Lol.

This place used to only be intolerable after a loss. Now, it is almost every day. Worst thing about it, we are 8-3.

Reactions: 5 people
LOL Jesus Christ! We have officially reached a new low in terms of fan dissatisfaction. Wins and losses are the ONLY metric that matters when measuring improvement!

You are so wrong I won't spend to much time trying to convince you but we could play 12 tenn techs next year and be 12-0 and that would mean absolutely nothing as to our improvement, we could be worse and still be 12-0!
When we are an overwhelming favorite to win the east and actually do win the east, and not blow it by , as every year losing to a team we should of easily beat, and the team comes out and plays good for 4 quarters every game, let's talk about improvement and I will gladly listen, but until then NO!

You are so wrong I won't spend to much time trying to convince you but we could play 12 tenn techs next year and be 12-0 and that would mean absolutely nothing as to our improvement, we could be worse and still be 12-0!
When we are an overwhelming favorite to win the east and actually do win the east, and not blow it by , as every year losing to a team we should of easily beat, and the team comes out and plays good for 4 quarters every game, let's talk about improvement and I will gladly listen, but until then NO!

No teams play good 4 quarters every game. As long as our record is improving we are getting better. This isn't 12 Tennessee techs every year. We play in the SEC.

I do agree that we should have won the east this year. It's disappointing.

But we don't so there's no point in using that ridiculous analogy. We are in the SEC, we play an SEC schedule every year including our perennial rivals Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. We have improved our win total every single year under Jones. We have beaten Florida for the first time in 11 years. We beat Georgia in back to back seasons for the first time in like, forever. We are ranked in the top 25 again, which means we are once again relevant in the fabric of national college football. Has the season gone the way we hoped? No but to say there's been no improvement is just beyond all reason.

Reactions: 3 people
I think you proved vol 82s point. Lol.

This place used to only be intolerable after a loss. Now, it is almost every day. Worst thing about it, we are 8-3.

You are right worst thing about it, we are 8-3!

When at Worst we should be 9-2 and sec east representative in the championship game!

If people on here don't understand why there seems to be more nega. Post., maybe it has something to do with.....

A whole lot of fans had a give Butch a chance before I judge him attitude and

Florida was very beatable for 3 years and yet we are 1-2 against them

Sec east was very winnable for 2 years and yet we are 0 for 2

Once again we lost to a bad very beatable team (sc) this year

Fact is a lot of people "on the fence" have seen enough to have considerable doubt as to whether Butch is capable of competing with the top coaches in the SEC, and are letting it be known, when before they were withholding criticism

But we don't so there's no point in using that ridiculous analogy. We are in the SEC, we play an SEC schedule every year including our perennial rivals Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. We have improved our win total every single year under Jones. We have beaten Florida for the first time in 11 years. We beat Georgia in back to back seasons for the first time in like, forever. We are ranked in the top 25 again, which means we are once again relevant in the fabric of national college football. Has the season gone the way we hoped? No but to say there's been no improvement is just beyond all reason.

3 times on College GameDay. It even got to the point where people were complaining to ESPN on FaceBook due to how many times we were on there.

5 times CBS SEC game of the week. We actually maxed out how many times a team could be on the network's game of the week.

A preseason Top 10 ranking and holding a Top 10 ranking halfway through the season.

Possibly going to the Sugar Bowl which is without a doubt one of the top bowls outside of the CFP.

The only reason for this is Coach Butch Jones without him + is staff's recruiting and coaching ability we are not there. Just ask our boy Derek Dooley and Charlie Strong if that's an easy task. If you further would like to continue the argument that Butch has not brought this team back to relevance you are like a color blind man arguing about the color of a white wall. The proof is in the pudding my friends.

And next year's team will have the ability to perform as good (at a minimum) if not better than this years team. Even though we did not meet expectations this year Butch has brought us back to relevance and has this program in a position to sustain that relevance.

Indeed, I only have to remember the Kiffen remarks and Dooley, and this is a man who places the players first..........imagine that, a SEC coach placing the well being of players in front of everything first.............that Bast***, what nerve, the unmitigated arrogance, shelf center coach, if a player wants to leave he lets him go, but Bama trys to hold on to a player just because it might make Saban or the school look bad and the media justifies his actions.

What has College Football come to? where everything is suppose to be sacrificed for the school...........sorry, but this is why I hate Bama, Norte Dame, Ohio State etc. etc. They sell their souls for a win.

No, Butch is my coach, and if he does leave and UT decides to sell out.......then I will leave the school and take my money with me. I can't support a school for the sole purpose to root for a team who's school dumped ethics and class to just be like those schools I mentioned.

I'm more proud of these men and how they stuck together through the complaining of fans and media bias. I blame the ESPN, ABC, CBS and the NCAA for taking plain old good sportsmanship from a game I have loved for 40 years.

What has happened to us as human beings? pathetic how some posters who probably never gave a dime unless they went to a home game and complained about the prices. If Butch leaves for the lack of respect he gets from Volnation..........I know it doesn't mean anything to any of you........but I will leave too. I've had enough of all the drama of nick picking play calls and dropped passes and fumbles etc etc............flame away, but we owe CBJ a big piece of gratitude for restoring respect, student performance and many exciting games. :clapping::clapping::rock:

"shelf center coach"

Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head with this description.

Majority of fans likely truly appreciate the improvements made off-field. But when it comes to the product ON-field, some seem to prefer a TOP SHELF Coach.

So let's see how the season holds out + off-season -- and let's see if your "shelf center coach" can, NEXT YEAR, bring his team out with a better showing GAME 1 (remember, this ALL started THIS year by BARELY BEATING APPALACHIAN STATE, and it continued from there, with last-second hail mary's and what not, etc).

GA Tech will be a tough one to prepare for (goodness, it looks like we were barely prepared for App State, and that's the point).

VN Store

Back