Butch Jones’ players left him an inspirational quote in his mailbox

Everyone needs a shot in the arm at some point. Going over the top to claim it proves anything negative is ridiculous

Reactions: 6 people
No...I think its a positive that the team is still supportive and "bought in". I think it's a bad sign that they are worried enough about the coach, who should be the strong one in the relationship, that they think a note like this is in order. I think it's telling about what emotions he may be allowing the team to see him exhibit.

I'm a father, husband, and business owner. I go through difficult times like everyone. In the midst of a trial, were one of my kids, my wife, or a staffer took the time to directly "lift my spirits" then I would be elated and willing to chew nails for them.

Probably not like that on XBox NCAA Football or Sportscenter. But in real high stakes life it means a lot.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't....just responding to the OP. Little too touchy-feely for football, and most certainly an example of the role of coach and player being reversed.

He's a person. Drop the ridiculous crusade and realize what you're starting to sound like. This is childish

Reactions: 9 people
I don't....just responding to the OP. Little too touchy-feely for football, and most certainly an example of the role of coach and player being reversed.

Regardless...it should be worrisome and a little embarrassing that it's a story out on social media....in my OPINION.

I wish cbj would just allow things done in private to stay that way but to say this is a negative is just plain looking for a way to spin everything that direction

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone needs a shot in the arm at some point. Going over the top to claim it proves anything negative is ridiculous

I didn't say it proves anything....I even stressed it was my OPINION.

The optics of it is troubling to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm a father, husband, and business owner. I go through difficult times like everyone. In the midst of a trial, were one of my kids, my wife, or a staffer took the time to directly "lift my spirits" then I would be elated and willing to chew nails for them.

Probably not like that on XBox NCAA Football or Sportscenter. But in real high stakes life it means a lot.

As am I...and my wife and kids do the same thing. Employees or underlings don't...and if they did I wouldn't put it out in the media.

Reactions: 3 people
No matter the quote, I find it difficult to see how the players feeling like the coach needs a pep-talk is a good thing. After coaching ability I would think the next most important attributes you seek in a coach would be resiliency, and mental toughness.

Guess we jumped way down the list to catchy phrases, and an infallible process.

This is an ignorant post..... You haven't been anywhere near the players and Jones and have no idea how jones has been behaving. I seriously doubt he's been weeping in their presence.

Reactions: 2 people
I wish cbj would just allow things done in private to stay that way but to say this is a negative is just plain looking for a way to spin everything that direction

You right, sometimes Butch just doesn't know when to shut up

This is an ignorant post..... You haven't been anywhere near the players and Jones and have no idea how jones has been behaving. I seriously doubt he's been weeping in their presence.

I'm sure they are encouraging him to "hang on" out of the blue. Nothing precipitated this reaction.

Reactions: 1 person

Regardless...it should be worrisome and a little embarrassing that it's a story out on social media....in my OPINION.

Aren't you the one that was perpetuating the "assault" rumor? ...... Now you're complaining about being too touchy feely?

Reactions: 7 people
Aren't you the one that was perpetuating the "assault" rumor? ...... Now you're complaining about being too touchy feely?

No I wasn't....feel free to look back. I simply participated in the discussion.

is

Maybe he should replace his chart with that book

You sure did with the side of "it did happen in an inappropriate manner"

You too are free to provide evidence that I did anything but discuss. We all have our opinions and predispositions. I brought no information, and only discussed what was brought by others. If my bias was to one side, it was based on my predisposition.

You too are free to provide evidence that I did anything but discuss. We all have our opinions and predispositions. I brought no information, and only discussed what was brought by others. If my bias was to one side, it was based on my predisposition.

Oh I don't think you bring anything more than an opinion and you certainly are entitled to that.

Make no mistake I won't accept any of your post as real information. I never have and certainly have never been given a reason to.

Reactions: 4 people
Oh I don't think you bring anything more than an opinion and you certainly are entitled to that.

Make no mistake I won't accept any of your post as real information. I never have and certainly have never been given a reason to.

Fair enough...still trying to win me over?

I don't get the message. It's either telling Butch to coach better in the 4th quarter to hold leads or it sounds like a message for someone who's about to commit suicide or something.

Do they feel he's gonna lose it? Or do they think he may walk off the job? Or do they think he's about to be fired?

It's almost like saying step away from the edge, sir! Or put that bottle down, there's no hope it that!

This is a VERY ODD quote....an inspirational one at that....

Please explain the possitive quote to me.....

He looks muted and you can imagine his demeanor after this past week. I don't see how players letting him know they believe in him could be interpreted as "odd".

I like seeing that the players haven't quit on the coach. The season would just get ugly if that happened. So at least there might be a silver lining. Might be.

VN Store

Back