Butch Jones’ players left him an inspirational quote in his mailbox

I don't get the message. It's either telling Butch to coach better in the 4th quarter to hold leads or it sounds like a message for someone who's about to commit suicide or something.

Do they feel he's gonna lose it? Or do they think he may walk off the job? Or do they think he's about to be fired?

It's almost like saying step away from the edge, sir! Or put that bottle down, there's no hope it that!

This is a VERY ODD quote....an inspirational one at that....

Please explain the possitive quote to me.....

Since we don't know the exact quote nor the actual context is a tad difficult. You can use your imagination to figure out how it might be good. Unless you have no imagination.

This thread went to hell in a hand basket. You guys wouldn't know what to do with something positive.

Reactions: 11 people
Regardless of what the message means, I think having your team sending a coach "inspirational" letters sounds pretty bad.

Not sure about you guys, but I ain't sending my boss a nice letter after working extra hard to get a bonus and never get it.

Reactions: 1 person
Since we don't know the exact quote nor the actual context is a tad difficult. You can use your imagination to figure out how it might be good. Unless you have no imagination.

No matter the quote, I find it difficult to see how the players feeling like the coach needs a pep-talk is a good thing. After coaching ability I would think the next most important attributes you seek in a coach would be resiliency, and mental toughness.

Guess we jumped way down the list to catchy phrases, and an infallible process.

Reactions: 6 people
Cbj seems like a guy that needs a lesson on Mathew 6:5

I recall the story when he was hired where he told about his team at cincy giving him a standing ovation when he told them he was leaving. At the time I thought that was great but now I have grown tired of the self promotion of what should be private events.

Reactions: 2 people
No matter the quote, I find it difficult to see how the players feeling like the coach needs a pep-talk is a good thing. After coaching ability I would think the next most important attributes you seek in a coach would be resiliency, and mental toughness.

Maybe the inspiration wasn't for coach to not give up but that they were still on board and believe. I see which way your dull imagination works.

Reactions: 4 people
There once was a coach from Cincinnati

He came to UT to win a Natty

Big 10 Brett came to town

And wore the team down

Cmon coach, don't feel so shatty!

Attachments

• debbie_downer.jpg
    debbie_downer.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 385
Maybe the inspiration wasn't for coach to not give up but that they were still on board and believe. I see which way your dull imagination works.

Well normally the player-coach relationship works the other way. Coaches work to maintain the attitude of players, and keep them bought in.

Not at Tennessee. Our coach apparently needs a Hallmark moment from the team. This does not bode well.

Well normally the player-coach relationship works the other way. Coaches work to maintain the attitude of players, and keep them bought in.

Not at Tennessee. Our coach apparently needs a Hallmark moment from the team. This does not bode well.

Maybe you should change your name to Borro-vol?

With all the negativity lately, I noticed several people questioning whether Butch had lost the team.

Everyone knows that if Butch succeeds here that is a good thing right?

If he doesn't succeed then he will be replaced.

No need in being so emotional.

So let me get this straight. Your complaining because the players are encouraging their coach who is feeling the pressure from every direction to stay strong? So CBJ or any other coach for that matter doesn't need encouraging also just like a player who comes off the field other blowing a play and CBJ encourages him to keep his head up? Someone with your mind set see's it as a weakness to get encouraged. We all need encouraged from time to time. We all go through difficult times and I for one would appreciate all the encouragement I can get in those times.

You can't stand the fact that the players still support their coach. Lot easier to for you to pile on with with your condemning attitude then to encourage a coach who is human, has children who see's and hear's people tearing down their dad. If CBJ can't get the job done everything will take care of itself. At least be classy about it and root for him to turn it around. That's what is best for the whole UT family.

Reactions: 12 people
So let me get this straight. Your complaining because the players are encouraging their coach who is feeling the pressure from every direction to stay strong? So CBJ or any other coach for that matter doesn't need encouraging also just like a player who comes off the field other blowing a play and CBJ encourages him to keep his head up? Someone with your mind set see's it as a weakness to get encouraged. We all need encouraged from time to time. We all go through difficult times and I for one would appreciate all the encouragement I can get in those times.

You can't stand the fact that the players still support their coach. Lot easier to for you to pile on with with your condemning attitude then to encourage a coach who is human, has children who see's and hear's people tearing down their dad. If CBJ can't get the job done everything will take care of itself. At least be classy about it and root for him to turn it around. That's what is best for the whole UT family.

No...I think its a positive that the team is still supportive and "bought in". I think it's a bad sign that they are worried enough about the coach, who should be the strong one in the relationship, that they think a note like this is in order. I think it's telling about what emotions he may be allowing the team to see him exhibit.

No...I think its a positive that the team is still supportive and "bought in". I think it's a bad sign that they are worried enough about the coach, who should be the strong one in the relationship, that they think a note like this is in order. I think it's telling about what emotions he may be allowing the team to see him exhibit.

How the hell you know they are worried about their coach?

Why couldn't the note have said???

"We trust you and are going to get this fixed"

I don't get the message. It's either telling Butch to coach better in the 4th quarter to hold leads or it sounds like a message for someone who's about to commit suicide or something.

Do they feel he's gonna lose it? Or do they think he may walk off the job? Or do they think he's about to be fired?

It's almost like saying step away from the edge, sir! Or put that bottle down, there's no hope it that!

This is a VERY ODD quote....an inspirational one at that....

Please explain the possitive quote to me.....

You would not understand anything positive. No need to waste anyone's time.

Reactions: 3 people
thats great news, as long as he has the kids support i am still rolling wit the guy, he can right the ship and i can be patient, just gotta win some of these close games...... at the end of the day GBO, and Team 119......

I don't....just responding to the OP. Little too touchy-feely for football, and most certainly an example of the role of coach and player being reversed.

Regardless...it should be worrisome and a little embarrassing that it's a story out on social media....in my OPINION.

Well, that's not what Butch read on Vol Calls for starters....

VN Store

Back