Butch has lost even the apologists

There might be some folks who are finding the "ignore" button because they don't care to come on this forum an be insulted. And, there is no "dislike" button. Not to mention, they just might have a life.

Reactions: 2 people
WTF does it matter? You get a cheap thrill out of bashing those who supported Butch? So now we not all VOL fans on equal footing, we are those who supported Butch and those who did not? GTFOH.

Here's a news flash Skippy, people are sometimes wrong. What? Really? Some people probably hang on too long, but IMO that's better than people like your sorry butt who probably ***** and moan and jump ship at the first site of something no rainbows and butterflies.

I support my team 100% and that usually means supporting the coach. Unlike some on here I've never, ever pulled for them to lose just so we can fire a coach.

Oh and to answer your question, no I no longer think Butch is the answer. Happy Skippy?
Someone hasn't had their coffee yet.

Sent from my Alcatel_5056O using Tapatalk

It seems the Butch apologists have gone into hiding. It happened with Fulmer, it happened with Dooley.
I believe it is time for a change...but is there anyone left who still thinks butch is the right man for the job?

Deep down I think they have known all along...Butch has got to go!

All of us would be foolish and untruthful and ungrateful to say Butch hasn't been "good" for UT. He certainly hasn't been "great".

He has built the roster back to respectability, even with losing tons of talent whether he has dismissed them, or left on their own. Had half of some of those players stayed, the roster would be even thicker.

The Vols are in a bad spot and a good spot at the same time. Most of us have overlooked Butch's inefficiencies and annoying phrases in hopes he would have even more success.

I believe it's time for a change and it's not because I'm an ungrateful fan. He had an uphill battle when he first got here. No doubt about it.

It's just the expectations at UT are not 7/8 win seasons and they shouldn't be. Because that means accepting losses to Vandy, UK, USCjr, Missouri are "okay". Losses to those teams are not "okay". Sure, getting upset by one of these teams here in there may happen. But, the mentality that UT is dumbed down to those levels are unacceptable.

UT should fear losing no more than 2...possibly 3 games in a season just about every season.

No team has had more wins against Bama than UT over time. Our expectations should be competing with them for the best in the conference. No accepting 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place in the SEC East as our norm.

Butch has certainly created a culture of accepting mediocrity and his players echo that sentiment. Just read Josh Smiths' latest quotes. When he says things like now we are winning bowls games...what more do the fans want?....you know you have a "culture" problem with respect to what the expectations are of the players. That is a loser mentality.

Reactions: 8 people
I say let the season play out then make a decision. I still hope they can get it together.

I have said this before but it is so easy to say before a coach starts to say "this coach won't do it etc". Then once they lose start piling on and say "see I told you." TN has won ONE national championship in the modern era in 1998 and prior to that it was 1951. So it is pretty easy to be a soothsayer and say see "coach x couldn't get it done". Because even if you have winning seasons; beat Florida and Georgia; go to bowls and win the bowls the soothsayer can say "but see coach didn't get them to the SEC championship game". Even if they made SEC championship game and lose the soothsayer can say "see he couldn't win the SEC" or if they made it to playoffs and lose could say "see he couldn't do it". But even if they won it all they would cheer and holler and if someone brought up their negativity they would say "the team did it in spite of the coach.

This team lost a lot of talent and was predicted to go 7-5. I don't see a lot of coaches that I think would take us to the next level to fire our coach in the middle of the season. I think Butch, Shoop and Hoke all know how to coach football and I do not have the insight to say Butch needs to be fired. I think the AD would have that insight but I think he is being smart and seeing how the season plays out. GO VOLS! Beat SC!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Amazed there are still apologists, after USC, Vandy last year, and our performances against Florida, UMass, and Georgia this year.

If you can't see this isn't a well coached team on offense, then I'm sorry.

Most of us have overlooked Butch's inefficiencies and annoying phrases in hopes he would have even more success.

Why are the slogans/phrases annoying? How can catchy sentence that is used as an analogy to help a team understand and grow together be annoying?

I think some just look for anything to bash CBJ for and this is it. I truly do not understand some folks obsession with bash the face of the program.

Reactions: 3 people
Many have left and rarely visit because this site is too anti VOL and has nothing of importance about Tennessee football.

Very few, if any, discussions are about football - only folks wishing to attack anything and everything that is said, done or "rumored" about.

This site is toxic.

Reactions: 9 people
Why are the slogans/phrases annoying? How can catchy sentence that is used as an analogy to help a team understand and grow together be annoying?

I think some just look for anything to bash CBJ for and this is it. I truly do not understand some folks obsession with bash the face of the program.

They are not annoying and if folks pay attention they will see that it is standard speak that ALL coaches use.

Many have left and rarely visit because this site is too anti VOL and has nothing of importance about Tennessee football.

Very few, if any, discussions are about football - only folks wishing to attack anything and everything that is said, done or "rumored" about.

This site is toxic.

Name some on the field positives we can talk about then.

Amazed there are still apologists, after USC, Vandy last year, and our performances against Florida, UMass, and Georgia this year.

If you can't see this isn't a well coached team on offense, then I'm sorry.

I was so excited for this season to start. Then while watching the GT game I looked at my wife and told her this team want beat many games at all. I just don't get it,it doesn't even look like we practice at all. It's year 5 and we look worse than year 1. I understand we lost some players but come on there has been no improvement what so ever

I was so excited for this season to start. Then while watching the GT game I looked at my wife and told her this team want beat many games at all. I just don't get it,it doesn't even look like we practice at all. It's year 5 and we look worse than year 1. I understand we lost some players but come on there has been no improvement what so ever

I'd have less if a problem with what has transpired if we at least looked well coached. You could at least see a light at the end of the tunnel. But we are still seeing wide receivers having trouble getting open and catching the ball. We are seeing quarterback play that is not fundamentally sound, not going thru progressions, throwing off the back foot, inability to read defenses, throwing into double and triple coverage, etc. The line and running game I think is fine and would be helped if defenses were forced to respect our passing game but as it stands right now a team can load the box to stop the run and not fear the repercussions. Quick slants into open areas vacated by linebackers would open this up tremendously, but that depends on the quarterback reading the defense correctly, a wide receiver getting open, the quarterback accurately delivering the ball, and the wide receiver catching it. All things we are pretty much terrible at right now.

I don't place much blame on our defense. They've played well enough to win most games. But with the offense incapable of sustaining any drive the other team gets more opportunities to score and our defense gets wore down. UGA game is a prime example.

I've watched our offense wondering what they've been doing during Spring and Fall practice, and during the season practices.

Butch is a terrible game day coach and his constant BS irritating. I thought he would be on the block to get fired now ... but the more I read ... I think they are going to let him finish his contract.

How will the Vols fanbase deal with that?

Butch is a terrible game day coach and his constant BS irritating. I thought he would be on the block to get fired now ... but the more I read ... I think they are going to let him finish his contract.

From what I was told he's on a game by game basis the rest of the season that doesn't include Alabama. Basically had to win out besides Bama.

Will never happen. You would start seeing games with 10k to 20k open seats or worse and the university would have to act. There's no confidence that Jones could turn this thing around. He made the mistake of his life with the offensive staff decisions this past off season and he's dealing with the results of it now. If he made it through this season, he'd have to again address the offensive staff, and would likely lose his best assistant on that side, Gillespie. You have to then ask yourself, what coach would jump on the melting hot seat with Butch knowing it's probably a one year deal. Butch is past the point of no return in my opinion. He's lost the majority of fans, he looks to have at least lost part of the team, he's lost the media, and I really doubt he has the respect of the coaching community.

I was still 100% supportive for Butch until UMASS. Then the final straw was how they lost to Georgia. You can't at least be competitive at home in year 5?

apologists?...now, that's too funny...:eek:lol:

PS. come out, come out...wherever you are...:eek:lol:

PS. apologists on the run...film at 11...:eek:lol:

GO VOLS...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he's still the man for the job. Johnny Majors got beat by a combined 85-7 in his first two games in 1981. This was after he'd been on the job 4 years. He beat #1 Miami in the Sugar Bowl 4 years later. He went 0-6 in his first 6 games in 1988. Then won the rest, and went 12-1 in 1989. Butch has brought the program back from the ashes. It's still in very good shape. There are talented players at every position. The current Vols are like a Porsche with bad gas in the tank. You don't need to dismantle the car. Just a few tweeks.

Butch is past the point of no return in my opinion. He's lost the majority of fans, he looks to have at least lost part of the team, he's lost the media, and I really doubt he has the respect of the coaching community.

You make a good case and personally, I've always thought of him as a joke.

But ... if they position him as "Butch was always here to turn around the program and he did that" ... they could sell it. All the factors that drive attendance remain (non-urban school, high alumni concentration, no pro teams, etc.) and now they can focus on the Handoff. If Currie does this well ... it actually could attract a higher quality candidate.

Just a thought.

VN Store

Back