Butch addresses "energy vampires."

I understand when people become sensitive to overused cliches (what team doesn't hold up four fingers at the start of the fourth quarter) but I don't think that applies here. I watched the clip - it was genuine, unrehearsed, throughtful, and on-the-money.

Reactions: 1 person
If he ever wins anything here; I fear he could run for governor and win.

He could because he has the ability to do what comes natural for true leaders.,,,that's bring people together not pit them against one another which seems to be the style of leadership we see today. Of course that's not leadership at all !!!!!

I don't understand either side of the argument. Some are over him using "coach speak" which every coach does. Some think he is like Buddha. Both groups are idiots. It's his job.

I don't understand either side of the argument. Some are over him using "coach speak" which every coach does. Some think he is like Buddha. Both groups are idiots. It's his job.

I haven't seen an argument occurring.

I have read the book myself a couple months ago, and I think CBJ's comments are genuine. Kids that don't buy into the vision of the head coach and staff "Energy Vampires" need to remove themselves. I think its genius on his part. I really don't know of a better way to make your players aware of negative players who aren't all Vol.

He's going to keep doing it...because it doesn't really matter and you guys will get tired of whining about it and go after his conjunctions.

If you got asked the same questions and had a microphone in your face for half the day, you would have cliches and say the same stuff all the time too. At least it's not boring

The longer I am on VN, the more I am convinced we have the biggest bunch of a##holes in the world of sports for a fanbase. Truer words have never been spoken..."The legion of the miserable"

Reactions: 3 people
No alliance to Cincinnati, but do live in Northern Ohio where Butch has recruited heavily. Best knowledge of the recruiting world/coach speak/ comes from best friend who is a high school coach. At Cincinnati Butch followed in the footsteps of Brian Kelly---recruits, spread offense, same clichés...probably a higher IQ legacy. BK deals with same comments about his clichés/both sides of his mouth.

Butch was followed at Cincinnati by an older, seasoned coach who had lots of success in SEC and on national stage with proven records against other SEC giants, fired/updated staff...but forced out after down turns, as is the reality in the coaching profession.

As I've said multiple times on post, I'm looking forward to CBJ's time with HIS recruits and HIS development in coaching on the field.

Until them, I pray at the altar of Tennessee administration, not any individual coach.

Also, I pay homage to First Amendment rights for which my father died to protect.

Post of the Year on VolNation. Agree 10000%.

Go Vols, Go USA, Go First Amendment. I also will say that Coach Jones is growing on me, but hopefully with less cliche' over time.

Players in virtually every sport talk about "taking care of business" in interviews all the time and have been doing so ever since microphones were put in front of their faces. Ever watch interviews with Bama's players? That's all you hear. Why? Because Saban has the same philosophy as Butch does in that he wants his players to take emotion out of the equation and take a workman-like approach to games. Butch has said he wants his players to play with passion, certainly, because of their love for the game. But on game day he wants them "taking care of business." Ask any successful coach in any sport and I suspect you will find that is a part of their approach to game days.

Isn't passion an emotion??? I think you have to have emotion in anything you do!

Butch is slick, his blazer game is on point and he knows how to tell the media "don't ask me the same dumb question again" or how to tell the media "Im not going to squarely answer that question" without really saying anything at all.

I love it. He even chimed in yesterday to tell media not to ask him the same exact question they'd just asked Hart about his assistants getting more money.

You don't get top 5 recruiting classes without being a silver tounge and that's just a fact.

He might get them but his silver tongue may be running them off

You haven't read posts saying his coach speak needs to stop or posts praising him for his coach speak?

I can't speak for anybody else. I never did anything but point out that the man knows how to rock a cliche. It's just the way he does business. Still a little early to evaluate the approach either way.

Poster-10rules250_000.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
The word up here for CBJ is"duplicitous"----what we use to call down south as "two faced"---he can say two different things about the same subject to two different people.

If and When he delivers, he can use all the un-original, quote stealing, duplicitous phrases he can think of....as long as he wins. CBJ has great kids who repeat what he says because they know it is expected of them. Really, how many kids do you guess think of a football game as "taking care of business" and just another "work day"??

I have a great deal of faith and hope in Hart that he has been around enough successful coaches to know the difference. But, when I click a link and see the presser lasted about 50 minutes, I can only listen to beginning and can fill in the blanks from the previous 5 years of listening to CBJ.

My hope is in the athletic administration, not the latest best seller motivational book read by coaches.

It's called Alabama.

I have read the book myself a couple months ago, and I think CBJ's comments are genuine. Kids that don't buy into the vision of the head coach and staff "Energy Vampires" need to remove themselves. I think its genius on his part. I really don't know of a better way to make your players aware of negative players who aren't all Vol.

Probably was refrerring to Scott, Hendrix, and
helm

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back