BTO’s Vanderbilt postgame report

I listened to pregame last night and our announcers mentioned that up the sideline roaming was new this year.

The coaches had the extended coaches box at Memorial last year. If that was Kesling saying it's new this year, he didn't notice it from his poor perspective last year. I think he was in the opposite corner sitting below the court.

What was up with Alexander?

I missed this game - had to work - but looking at the stat lines... 0 pts, 0 rebs, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 4 fouls. Only 11 game minutes. I just want to make sure he's not injured or anything. Sick? Any word? Just surprising to see that underwhelming of numbers for him.

Foul trouble.

One negative from last night.

I thought the Arkansas game was lost due to a quick 3 pt attemp with an 8 pt lead around the 3 minute mark. After we missed Arkansas scored 5 pts in the next few seconds

Last night nearly exactly the same situation happened. We were up 7 and Bone jacked one up right after passing half court. He made it but it was still a very poor decision IMO

If we could have only beaten arky. We'd be looking much better in conference play & been ranked higher in standings/committee's eyes.

If we could have only beaten arky. We'd be looking much better in conference play & been ranked higher in standings/committee's eyes.

If we had beaten Arkansas, half of our 12 wins would have been on the road or at neutral sites.

Exactly half of our games will be played on the road or at neutral sites. I would guess that most P5 schools don't do that at all.

When you get a number of wins on the road or at neutral sites, you can really help your RPI.

Last edited:
After the loss against Auburn Barnes talked a great deal about roles, maturity and egos on this team and how some guys needed to figure it out. He didn’t go into too much detail but I noticed some interesting numbers from last nights game...

We only attempted 13 three points shots...a season low

We hit on 54% of those three point attempts...a season high

We shot 57% from the field for the game...a season high

Schofield & Williams combined for 34/53 of our teams FGA...a season high percentage.

Bowden was 3rd in FGA on the team with 7.

Was this what Barnes was alluding to? Pounding the ball inside, playing inside out, getting our best players the most touches? Working through the post on about 95% of possessions? Obviously Williams and Schofield has career nights, that can’t be expected every night, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence either that our 3pt% was the highest of the season, we got some great looks off of inside out action.

Offense works easier when you have a hub. Williams has proven he is good enough to be that factor. I compare a solid post player to a good running game in football.

Vandy had no answer for him (less knocking the hell out of him before he got the ball hoping he didn't get it). When he forced Vandy to double the game opened up and life was easier for everyone else. UT's more difficult nights on offense will come when the opponent has a neutralizer in the paint. It will force everybody around him to make more difficult shots.

UT has some solid players around him but their strength is running the offense through him. When they have and do stray from that they are not nearly as effective.

Last edited:
If we had beaten Arkansas, half of our 12 wins would have been on the road or at neutral sites.

Exactly half of our games will be played on the road or at neutral sites. I would guess that most P5 schools don't do that at all.

When you get a number of wins on the road or at neutral sites, you can really help your RPI.

If we had beaten Arkansas, we would have beaten auburn too imo

VN Store

Back