BTO’s Vanderbilt postgame report

Maybe people will call me a coach supporter or whatever, but I believe this staff does a hell of a job on their scouts, and that if the players pay attention and buy into it they have a very good chance in every game.

Well, coach supporter or not, I agree. I thought Shay and Forbes did a great job for Pearl too, FWIW.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love Memorial Gym. If it was Tennessee's, we'd all love it too for its uniqueness and advantages.

Sidenote, have coaches always been allowed to roam the sideline portion, or is that a new development? I've never noticed that and I wonder if the NCAA stepped in and made them change it.

I thought I remember seeing in the last year or so that was a new development somewhat to offset the quirkiness of the benched at the baselines

Reactions: 1 person
I know I'm in the minority, but I love Memorial Gym. If it was Tennessee's, we'd all love it too for its uniqueness and advantages.

Sidenote, have coaches always been allowed to roam the sideline portion, or is that a new development? I've never noticed that and I wonder if the NCAA stepped in and made them change it.

Agreed. I like old sports Venues. Two of my least favorites are UNc and Ours. Not much "character"

Agreed. I like old sports Venues. Two of my least favorites are UNc and Ours. Not much "character"

Don't get me wrong, I love ours too. I get the lack of character (like Stokely had), but TBA is much, much better since the renovation.

Don't get me wrong, I love ours too. I get the lack of character (like Stokely had), but TBA is much, much better since the renovation.

Yea it's modern and has all the bells and whistles. I just like Old yankee stadium over the new one. Also the noise level doesn't cut it either imo.

One negative from last night.

I thought the Arkansas game was lost due to a quick 3 pt attemp with an 8 pt lead around the 3 minute mark. After we missed Arkansas scored 5 pts in the next few seconds

Last night nearly exactly the same situation happened. We were up 7 and Bone jacked one up right after passing half court. He made it but it was still a very poor decision IMO

One negative from last night.

I thought the Arkansas game was lost due to a quick 3 pt attemp with an 8 pt lead around the 3 minute mark. After we missed Arkansas scored 5 pts in the next few seconds

Last night nearly exactly the same situation happened. We were up 7 and Bone jacked one up right after passing half court. He made it but it was still a very poor decision IMO

I thought the exact same thing as he squared up for that shot. Without the benefit of hindsight, and knowing he made it, he should have drove to the basket and gotten fouled, or pulled the ball back out front and run some clock.

Interestingly enough, we have 3 of the top 10 3-pt shooters in the conference. Bowden is #1, Schofield #6, and Bone is #10. Kid couldn't hit water if he fell off a pier last year. He's really got a lot of confidence in his shot now, and I hope he becomes more aggressive, especially against aTm on Saturday.

We've outscored our last 2 opponents by a combined 37 points in the 2nd half. Impressive for a team that struggled to close in games this year on several occasions.

Maybe we play better from behind?

I thought the exact same thing as he squared up for that shot. Without the benefit of hindsight, and knowing he made it, he should have drove to the basket and gotten fouled, or pulled the ball back out front and run some clock.

Interestingly enough, we have 3 of the top 10 3-pt shooters in the conference. Bowden is #1, Schofield #6, and Bone is #10. Kid couldn't hit water if he fell off a pier last year. He's really got a lot of confidence in his shot now, and I hope he becomes more aggressive, especially against aTm on Saturday.

Wow. I don't know if it was in his resume when he got here but Rick Barnes damn sure can develop shooters

I think this was one of the best wins of the Barnes era. We got down to a team that was shooting lights-out in an uncomfortable environment but never panicked or lost composure. After some halftime adjustments, they cooled down and we kept feeding the two-headed monster of Williams-Schofield. We made free throws, didn't turn it over, got their bigs in foul trouble, and won pulling away.

Reactions: 2 people
After the loss against Auburn Barnes talked a great deal about roles, maturity and egos on this team and how some guys needed to figure it out. He didn’t go into too much detail but I noticed some interesting numbers from last nights game...

We only attempted 13 three points shots...a season low

We hit on 54% of those three point attempts...a season high

We shot 57% from the field for the game...a season high

Schofield & Williams combined for 34/53 of our teams FGA...a season high percentage.

Bowden was 3rd in FGA on the team with 7.

Was this what Barnes was alluding to? Pounding the ball inside, playing inside out, getting our best players the most touches? Working through the post on about 95% of possessions? Obviously Williams and Schofield has career nights, that can’t be expected every night, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence either that our 3pt% was the highest of the season, we got some great looks off of inside out action.

After the loss against Auburn Barnes talked a great deal about roles, maturity and egos on this team and how some guys needed to figure it out. He didn’t go into too much detail but I noticed some interesting numbers from last nights game...

Schofield & Williams combined for 34/53 of our teams FGA...a season high percentage.

Was this what Barnes was alluding to? Pounding the ball inside, playing inside out, getting our best players the most touches? Working through the post on about 95% of possessions? Obviously Williams and Schofield has career nights, that can’t be expected every night, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence either that our 3pt% was the highest of the season, we got some great looks off of inside out action.

I think Vandy's guards did a good job of defending the perimeter, thus not allowing us to get off shots from there. Conversely, their posts were terrible defending the paint. So we just went for the low-hanging fruit. That isn't to say you're theory is wrong. In fact, I'd say it's probably correct to a degree. Seems like we just took what they gave us last night.

I think Vandy's guards did a good job of defending the perimeter, thus not allowing us to get off shots from there. Conversely, their posts were terrible defending the paint. So we just went for the low-hanging fruit. That isn't to say you're theory is wrong. In fact, I'd say it's probably correct to a degree. Seems like we just took what they gave us last night.

Which is a good sign, and maybe is the maturity Barnes was referring to to an extent.

It’s like our offense runs through Grant from down low rather than through a PG from the top of the key. Grant should touch the ball on just about every set offensive possession imo. Like 90% of offensive possessions outside of transition game

Ok I will be the first to say it. Grant williams isn't a 4 year player. We are only going to have him one more year. Not sure it will be wise to declare but with his production he is going to give it a try. With his academics I bet he graduates in 3 years anyway

I was thinking the same thing. We'll be fortune if he stays four years. If he continues to progress like he is ?! He'll be in the NBA after next season. Is it just me or does he seem more athletic this year ?!

I was thinking the same thing. We'll be fortune if he stays four years. If he continues to progress like he is ?! He'll be in the NBA after next season. Is it just me or does he seem more athletic this year ?!

The body transformation has made him a better athlete imo

There really aren't that many players in the history of TN BB that have left early for pro ball.

Bernard King
Marcus Haislip
Tobias Harris
Jarnell Stokes

Anybody else? Tyler Smith should have instead of getting kicked off the team as a senior.

Tony Harris should have. He probably would have been drafted after one of his underclass seasons.

Ok I will be the first to say it. Grant williams isn't a 4 year player. We are only going to have him one more year. Not sure it will be wise to declare but with his production he is going to give it a try. With his academics I bet he graduates in 3 years anyway

Grant reminds me of a shorter Stokes. I think Barnes needs to show GW what happened to JS when he declared.

I listened to pregame last night and our announcers mentioned that up the sideline roaming was new this year.

What was up with Alexander?

I missed this game - had to work - but looking at the stat lines... 0 pts, 0 rebs, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 4 fouls. Only 11 game minutes. I just want to make sure he's not injured or anything. Sick? Any word? Just surprising to see that underwhelming of numbers for him.

VN Store

Back