Bryce Brown: A Lesson in Pride

So humor me here. Say we had LSU RB Leonard Fournette who I'm sure we can all agree is easily a Top 5 pick in 2017 (can't go pro next year because he's a soph) .... maybe the #1 pick who knows. Would you fault him for sitting out next season to ensure he's healthy going into the 2017 draft when he's eligible? 2015 Top 5 picks made well over $20 Million per this draft. 2nd Rd guys $6 Million. Risk worth Reward. Just curious as to what you think since you talk about "business decision to game the system"

Fournette has proved his worth. Buy insurance. Don't quit on your team.

I thought "pride" was what got him here in the first place
Qtf8CJyTbpql.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Peyton Manning didn't quit on his team.
Greatest passer of all time.
Records never to be broken.
The General would be proud.
The Mannings got it.

Archie also was loaded already and famously told Peyton, "Get a degree. Your Mama doesn't need a house."

Any RB that gets a 1st round grade is nuts if they don't declare for the draft.

Reactions: 4 people
Celebrating? I'm grieving at the loss to Bryce Brown, a player I thought was great, and the loss to the institution I love.

Arnette was not the #1 recruit in the nation.

On October 27, 2015, Brown signed with the Seattle Seahawks. On November 21, 2015, he was waived.

Had he played it straight at UT, he'd have come out after his 3rd year in the 1st or 2nd round with a fat contract to set him up for life.

Instead, he came out as a free agent, had undeveloped skills, and now must get a job.

A word to the wise: Game the system at your peril.

One word....Kiffin.

Last edited:
The real reason Bryce's father did not want him to play at UT anymore was because the incoming OL was freshmen and sophomores. He was afraid the kid would look bad on TV and his draft stock was slip. So he decided to sit him for 2 years. This was an admission that the kid wasn't the #1 recruit in the country. And, it left UT with a bunch of 3* RBs. But, pi&&ing on UT was in season at the time, with the departure of Kiffin and his staff.

The correct and honest move would have been for the Browns to say, this University is where We committed, and we keep our commitments, and we have faith that things will work out. Instead, they chose to game the system, and everybody lost. If you don't like the word "Pride," then call it self-centered, shortsighted or ignorance.

Bryce got his cup of coffee (15 minutes) in the the NFL, playing for peanuts. An inferior RB, Trent Richardson, got $20,000,000 (fully guaranteed), a $13 million signing bonus, and a walk across the draft-day stage in NY. That was all Bryce's.

Someone above blamed Dooley. Really?

Someone said Bryce is a good man with a good young family. They'll all have to go to work.

Someone said I'm throwing stones at a guy when he's down. I'm just reporting.

I saw enough of this kid -- even when he ran out of bounds -- to know he was very special. He could have won a lot of games for UT even with a young OLine. Bray, Rodgers and Hunter created a lot of offense that could have been even better with Brown in the backfield. Just 1 more win a year and we never miss a bowl.

We all lost, it's a shame, it could have been avoided. I hope good things come to Bryce. But as of today, it must be observed that Tennessee was always here to support the young man to succeed at the highest level, and he shorted us.

"We honor our commitments"- didn't the coach he commit to bail on his commitment? Don't coaches rescind offers and force kids out? Give me a break. Guys transfer all the time. You say you were just reporting? You didn't report something, you speculated and attributed to his pride. Also, his whole family has to go to work now? Doubt his toddler and infant have to get jobs. Are you kidding? His football career hasn't panned out like maybe it could have, but he has grown into a good guy. Perhaps his decisions played a role in that. I mean, I know you didn't make bad decisions at 18 and all, but perhaps if you did, you would have learned from it even if it didn't mean being an NFL star.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
"We honor our commitments"- didn't the coach he commit to bail on his commitment? Don't coaches rescind offers and force kids out? Give me a break. Guys transfer all the time. You were just reporting? You didnt report someyhing, you speculated and attributed to his pride. Also, his whole family has to go to work now? Atr you kidding? His football career hasn't panned out like maybe it could have, but he has grown into a a good guy. Perhaps his decisions played a role in that. I mean, I know you didn't make bad decisions at 18 and all, but perhaps of you did, you would have learned from it even of it didn't mean being an NFL star.

I give you crickets.

I thought "pride" was what got him here in the first place
Qtf8CJyTbpql.jpg

There is 'what' Kiffin did...sent in Lacey....aka "The Closer".

At least Bryce made $1.5 million. Sadly, the greatest of all Vols running backs, Chuck Webb, blew out his knee in Neyland and never made a dime of NFL money.

Reactions: 1 person
After due consideration I think the title of the thread should include the word Hubris. I think that fits better than pride.:hi:

The point is get your free education. Only the chosen few will get a NFL contract.

Fournette has proved his worth. Buy insurance. Don't quit on your team.

Players don't owe schools a ******n thing. Their scholarships are one year; the schools can, and do, quit on them whenever they feel like it. Coaches can, and do, go somewhere else whenever they feel like it. And both of those parties are paid.

But the players, playing for free, are the only ones who should be bound? Doesn't sound very wise to me.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back