Brice: AD down Fulmer and Blackburn, but...

Maybe im not a genius and just don't understand.

What is the issue with hiring Blackburn as AD and having Fulmer in a position in the Athletic dept as well?

Our number 1 and 2 (according to many) are both available and willing to be hired together (assuming Blackburn as ad in this scenario). How often does that happen?

My suspicion is big time donors see him as a bit of a loose canon they wouldn't be able to control. Which, ironically is exactly what we need. But they won't see it that way.

Reactions: 3 people
That's just not true. I admit that squad had some weaknesses, but come on.

Any squad with Eric Berry, D'Moore, Hardesty, Luke Stocker, Bryce Brown, etc. was better than 7-5.

That team had NFL talent all over the field.

We also had a starting QB who's light didn't come on until the GA game. We had TWO starting walk on O lineman. We had a starting walk on middle linebacker. We had one quality D-lineman in Dan Williams. And regarding the stars you mentioned, we had very little talent behind them. Plus Bryce Brown was a true freshman head case that got hurt before the season started. He was never 100% that season. We were 1 field goal away from beating the eventual national champions. We should've beaten UCLA for sure. However overall I thought Kiffin did an admirable job all things considered .

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Totally hypothetical scenario: What if UT is pumping the breaks on Blackburn because he's hinted at not hesitating firing Butch the second he screws up, where Fulmer is going to give Butch more of a leash and at least two more years?

Hypothetical breaks?
Maybe Blackburn will get the brake he's been looking for?

Must be some other reason... but I just can't imagine what it might be.

Well you complain about our team not winning championships, this man is literally the reason you believe we can win another national championship. If it wasn't for him, we would have no proof we could do it barring the 51 ship and not too many fans alive who remember that moment. So his last few years weren't great, damn show the man respect for the first 11.

Reactions: 1 person
Great news...And a great statement by David Blackburn if true. I truly believe a Blackburn/ Fulmer AD is exactly what we need. David brings the experience and understanding of the full scope of the AD position. Fulmer brings the gravitas and the name recognition. I hope they put him in some type of football QC role. Putting Orange blood back in the AD at this time is only a positive.

Until I read this, I didn't really believe it was a possibility.

Great news...And a great statement by David Blackburn if true. I truly believe a Blackburn/ Fulmer AD is exactly what we need. David brings the experience and understanding of the full scope of the AD position. Fulmer brings the gravitas and the name recognition. I hope they put him in some type of football QC role. Putting Orange blood back in the AD at this time is only a positive.

Don't think DB needs a back-up from anyone. He's considered a rising-star in the athletic management world. If people are adamant about PF being involved in some way,so be it. But DB can handle it all by himself.

Reactions: 4 people
Don't think DB needs a back-up from anyone. He's considered a rising-star in the athletic management world. If people are adamant about PF being involved in some way,so be it. But DB can handle it all by himself.

Totally agree. I've been a Blackburn guy from day-one. I know some lettermen that feel the same. But Fulmer would bring a fundraising, and "glad-handing" ability. It could make for a very effective team. Wise move on Blackburn's part...Showa he knows what he's doing. I just hope we don't somehow screw up this opportunity.

Reactions: 5 people
Totally hypothetical scenario: What if UT is pumping the breaks on Blackburn because he's hinted at not hesitating firing Butch the second he screws up, where Fulmer is going to give Butch more of a leash and at least two more years?

Why is anyone playing the WHAT IF game. Sounds like you are trying to stir the pot on this very important hire. I hope that the decision makers, if there are more than one, do what id best for our great University. The AD job has evolved the years to become an important management position. Management decision should be based on facts and management experience. The future success of our Athletic Programs for the next 10-20 years depends on this decision. Lets not screw it up and waste millions of $$$ by playing games with this hire.

Many people think Fulmer kind of coasted towards the end of his HC stint. Does anyone think he may coast behind a desk and get paid for it? I personally think he would " work like heck " to continue rebuilding the football program and get it back to where it was in the 90's. I think him and Blackburn would be a powerful duo for the football program in particular.

I think it is well established that you are a Fulmer admirer, and I am not. The reason I am not is every quote I have read from him shows he is as clueless now as he was when he was fired. He doesn't take ownership of his flaws which directly led to the programs slide. And that leads me to believe he will create more problems overseeing the program than he will ever solve.

Take being sentimental out of it. I want Fulmer's input, but no more than any other ex player or ex coach. If Fulmer owned up to his flaws, I might be less paranoid about him. But as of now, he just needs to only be president of his own fan club.

I don't see where Fulmer has the knowledge or experience to be our AD.

Best deal I can see is Blackburn as our AD with Fulmer as AAD/Fund Raising.

Fulmer as Assistant AD in charge of Fund Raising helping Blackburn in that specific area and then doing whatever other specific things Blackburn wants to assign him to help with might work the best.

If we're dumb enough to let Blackburn get away from us then the BoT and Admins should all be fired instantly.

Blackburn has been trained for many years for this exact job.

VFL...GBO!!!

"However, again, sources close to Blackburn and familiar with UT’s search process emphasized this weekend to 247Sports that Blackburn would immediately hire Fulmer to his staff, if Blackburn is tabbed to UT’s top spot, and would work to change bylaws in Neyland Stadium to get Fulmer’s name in the ring of those honored between the upper and lower decks of Neyland Stadium."

I want that to happen.

Honestly, there shouldn't even be discussion on another possible outcome. This should be IT!

That's why he wasn't lobbying for Blackburn and why some don't want Phil in the position. Can't say I blame them honestly.

Be great if someone out of nowhere was hired.. meltdown would be classic

True...And I still won't be surprised. It would be a confirmation of what many of us believe about the top down leadership over there.

We'll see I guess.

True...And I still won't be surprised. It would be a confirmation of what many of us believe about the top down leadership over there.

We'll see I guess.

Well, if they do go outside they need to get it right. VERY right. Or Davenport is going to wake up and realize what a hornets nest she signed on to after the first major screw up.

Sorry, nothing personal, I've just seen this kind of statement 50 times and can't get an answer.

Why did you just separate it from reality? "People are so adamant" read the Op again, Blackburn is more adamant than anyone.

Post after post on this site has done the same thing. When people say it back, they act like it's not DB's idea. I've noticed some are much more harsh about Phil than you, and I think that they just go into some childhood state when they realize the truth.

They trash Fulmer and say he has no business around the department, praise Blackburn and say he can do no wrong. Then Blackburn says the first thing he would do is put Phil around the department. I think their head just explodes.

Sorry, nothing personal, I've just seen this kind of statement 50 times and can't get an answer.

Why did you just separate it from reality? "People are so adamant" read the Op again, Blackburn is more adamant than anyone.

Post after post on this site has done the same thing. When people say it back, they act like it's not DB's idea. I've noticed some are much more harsh about Phil than you, and I think that they just go into some childhood state when they realize the truth.

They trash Fulmer and say he has no business around the department, praise Blackburn and say he can do no wrong. Then Blackburn says the first thing he would do is put Phil around the department. I think their head just explodes.

:thumbsup:

Sums it up nicely. Both have worth just in different roles.

"Turnkey" search firm...you just can't make this stuff up...oh, UTK, you make me laugh so hard sometimes...:eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back