BREAKING: Tennessee officials discussing football coach Butch Jones immediate future

First of all, there is no team meeting and Currie and Butch did meet earlier today but it was about alternate uniforms and a marketing campaign UT is working on. I have one contact who works within the UT AD; we were best friends growing up and I still talk to him once or twice a week. I wouldn’t say he is real high up in the AD but it’s not like he’s at the bottom of the totem pole either. I always try to get information out of him but he usually won’t give me much, usually just saying he’s not really privy to all the inside info. But I spoke to him earlier today, and as a big UT fan, he’s obviously real upset about what is going on. He finally opened up to me a little bit, and he said the talk within the department is that Currie really doesn’t want to replace any major coaches, such as football and men’s / women’s basketball, in his first year. Also, apparently the Chancellor and President are believed to have put some pressure on Currie to keep things the same for now, as they feel the athletic department has finally turned a corner financially, and they don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a buyout right now. He said the boosters definitely are putting pressure in the other direction, but he states the boosters really don’t have as much influence this time around, at least not as much as a lot of people think...he said it’s more important what the Chancellor and President want to do. Plus he said our new Chancellor feels like our boosters have had too much influence on the AD in the past. And then there is also the problem of trying to get the boosters on the same page in terms of a replacement. He thinks that if a move is made, it won’t be until after the season. And if Butch makes a bowl game, the administration will definitely try to keep him. Plus he said we will likely make a bowl at 5-7 due to our improved APR and how well the fans travel. He said if attendance really falls off, that might change their minds. He wanted to emphasize that this is just what he had heard within the AD and as of now, should just be considered rumors...none of this came from Currie himself. He did add, however, that he personally thinks we will end up going 4-8 and a change will have to be made. But if we somehow make a bowl, he said not to be surprised if they just try to sell this as one down year due to new quarterbacks and a lot of injuries.
#Nowayjose

giphy.gif

There is a hurricane of bogus **** coming out right now. Everyone is throwing it t against the wall hoping to be right and claim that e-cred yo.

Reactions: 1 person
First of all, there is no team meeting and Currie and Butch did meet earlier today but it was about alternate uniforms and a marketing campaign UT is working on. I have one contact who works within the UT AD; we were best friends growing up and I still talk to him once or twice a week. I wouldn’t say he is real high up in the AD but it’s not like he’s at the bottom of the totem pole either. I always try to get information out of him but he usually won’t give me much, usually just saying he’s not really privy to all the inside info. But I spoke to him earlier today, and as a big UT fan, he’s obviously real upset about what is going on. He finally opened up to me a little bit, and he said the talk within the department is that Currie really doesn’t want to replace any major coaches, such as football and men’s / women’s basketball, in his first year. Also, apparently the Chancellor and President are believed to have put some pressure on Currie to keep things the same for now, as they feel the athletic department has finally turned a corner financially, and they don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a buyout right now. He said the boosters definitely are putting pressure in the other direction, but he states the boosters really don’t have as much influence this time around, at least not as much as a lot of people think...he said it’s more important what the Chancellor and President want to do. Plus he said our new Chancellor feels like our boosters have had too much influence on the AD in the past. And then there is also the problem of trying to get the boosters on the same page in terms of a replacement. He thinks that if a move is made, it won’t be until after the season. And if Butch makes a bowl game, the administration will definitely try to keep him. Plus he said we will likely make a bowl at 5-7 due to our improved APR and how well the fans travel. He said if attendance really falls off, that might change their minds. He wanted to emphasize that this is just what he had heard within the AD and as of now, should just be considered rumors...none of this came from Currie himself. He did add, however, that he personally thinks we will end up going 4-8 and a change will have to be made. But if we somehow make a bowl, he said not to be surprised if they just try to sell this as one down year due to new quarterbacks and a lot of injuries.
Wether this is a troll or not I do feel like there I'd dome truth to this

According to something on A-Z in Nashville, there is a clause in Butch's contract that would allow a lower buyout if the team isn't bowl eligible. Report didn't say how much less, but I'm sure Currie and the $$$ supporters would like to save a couple mil if possible while pulling the plug on Butch. Pretty sure they've been discussing it for weeks and hoping they can wait for a 7th loss to save the $, but Fla just threw a wrench into that plan. IMO, if they don't take action now, they're going to lose more due to #boycottneyland than they will save waiting for a 7th loss.

you have posted this twice..and it's incorrect both times. no such clause in his contract..lord..

Reactions: 2 people
I call BS. The University of Tennessee made $181 last year. The next closest University was Alabama at $119 million. They can afford to fire a coach and hire a coach. The problem is that football is no longer a priority especially to someone like the Chancellor. The only way to effect change is to not be in the stadium. When no one buys gear, concessions, etc. then people will notice.

Does anyone know why I can't view the official gruden thread? It says it doesn't exist but yet the post numbers keep going up

This is basically the same thing I was told a few weeks ago from a friend that I would consider to be at least a mid-level booster. He said that no decision on Butch would be made until the end of the season with the hope that Butch would be bowl eligible and for being bowl eligible would then be given the chance to make changes on his staff. I saw this same person today, and he said if Butch lost to Southern Miss, he would be fired immediately, but if he won, he would continue to be the coach until such time the team was not bowl eligible.

He also said the hope is AD Currie would not have to replace any major coach this soon in his tenure.

Big gator friend of mind in Gainesville tells me the gators are going after Mullen. He is there first choice & he thinks they will get him. Also says Mullen won't come to Tennessee even if the money was there. Mullen was there in the glory days and it would not surprise me if he goes there.

Our APR is 40 something in the country this year. No way we get into a bowl at 5-7.

There was actually an article written on how it was virtually impossible for us to get into a bowl at 5-7 with our APR and then became impossible when the Poinsettia Bowl shutdown.

But nice try chief...

This is basically the same thing I was told a few weeks ago from a friend that I would consider to be at least a mid-level booster. He said that no decision on Butch would be made until the end of the season with the hope that Butch would be bowl eligible and for being bowl eligible would then be given the chance to make changes on his staff. I saw this same person today, and he said if Butch lost to Southern Miss, he would be fired immediately, but if he won, he would continue to be the coach until such time the team was not bowl eligible.

He also said the hope is AD Currie would not have to replace any major coach this soon in his tenure.

If this is indeed correct, “AD Currie” should not have been hired due to inexperience. It is easier to sell a good team to prospective replacements than a bare cubbard. Hanging onto the wrong coach can and would be catastrophic.

Pretty much. It was specific and it fits with a lot of other things we’ve both heard and suspected.

Except at least a third of it is just simply untrue and been proven otherwise.

We have one of be best financial athletic revenue streams in the country, in fact #2 in the country, and there is no way we get into a bowl with a 5-7 record bc our APR actually isn’t good this year.

But let’s not let facts get in his way

Why's that?

Because it's awful news so it would be par for the course?

Because every week for the last month all we have heard is... "If Butch loses the next game he is probably out" and it has been wrong. At this point there is zero reason to believe anything other than what he said. His source may be made up but his words seem true.
Florida showed today that they are serious about their football program. Tennessee on the other hand has shown that you can still be the coach even when losing every SEC game.

Reactions: 2 people
Wbir stated that jones will coach the southern miss game but has been fired.... the timing and announcement has yet to be determined.

Except at least a third of it is just simply untrue and been proven otherwise.

We have one of be best financial athletic revenue streams in the country, in fact #2 in the country, and there is no way we get into a bowl with a 5-7 record bc our APR actually isn’t good this year.

But let’s not let facts get in his way

BS. I’ll give you the APR stuff but nothing else. Everything else in there, primarily the attitudes of Currie and that idiot Davenport, seemed spot on and consistent with much of what we’ve heard from other sources.

But let’s not let facts get in your way.

VN Store

Back