BREAKING NEWS!!!Cuonzo Martin removes name from Marquette search

I'm one who really wanted Bruce Pearl to return, but I never signed the petition (stupid gesture imo). Still, I like Zo & to me it appears he awakened during his "on-the-job-training" this season. It's sports, not rocket science, so it remains to be seen if CCM can keep this Big Orange train rolling. Go Vols!

nice thought in concept. Let's revisit it with our NIT appearance next year and see if the support is still there.

I know what you mean. Next year might be another roller coaster season. Expectations won't be as high as this years were at the beginning of the season

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't say that.

You were the one calling the coach that has averaged 20 wins a year and has been an absolute wonderful representative for this university a clown. Tony Barber is a clown. Scott Drew is a clown. Cuonzo isn't. He might be an average coach, but calling him a clown is petty.

Exactly. Regardless of how you feel about him as a coach there's no reason to attack him. He's probably one of the cleanest coaches in the game and he still wants to stay here even after the fanbase shat all over him.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm sorry, I'm just really disappointed. I expect more from UT and nothing I have seen from Martin's 3 years makes me excited about the future of men's basketball at UT.

A sweet 16 run when we barely made the tourney doesnt excite you?

Guess you cant please everyone

Reactions: 2 people
Idk...

Jarnell Stokes maybe?

5* Robert Hubbs?
Stokes is gone IMO! If he does come back he will be double and triple teamed without Maymon!

Hubbs will be coming off shoulder surgery!

Armani isn't to shabby either

Great defender, offensively if he can't dunk it or make a lay up he's questionable!

I'll admit Thompson has potential and I thought he should have seen more playing time during the middle part of the season and the offense seemed to flow better when he was in.

Last edited:
Idk...

Jarnell Stokes maybe?

5* Robert Hubbs?

Maybe.

I would put the question mark next to the 5*. We will see if the injury was the reason for his lackluster performances, or merely an excuse. I definitely think he needed the extra year for maturation purposes.

And we got in barely. Most years, we wouldn't be in. Say whatever you want but its the truth. 99 percent of this board was all for a coaching change and then martin and company do what was expected (no more no less) and now people are slurping him. Its amazing.

I keep reading about how UT dramatically underperformed based their talent and roster.

The only time a team is judged exclusively on its Roster and Potential is the "Preseason Rankings". Where was UT ranked in the Preseason Top 25? Hint: They weren't ranked. But they finished in the Sweet 16...and 1 point from Elite 8.

They were predicted by SEC coaches/media to finish 3rd in SEC...and were among the 3 SEC teams which made NCAA Tournament.

I know we had a few regular season bad losses...but so did UNC, Duke, KY, and most teams. What the hell are we arguing about again? This is just stupid.

Reactions: 7 people
I was just as hard on CCM as the next guy, but come on get ahold of yourselves people...

Stokes is gone IMO! If he does come back he will be double and triple teamed without Maymon!

Hubbs will be coming off shoulder surgery!

Great defender, offensively if he can't dunk it or make a lay up he's questionable!

I'll admit Thompson has potential and I thought he should have seen more playing time during the middle part of the season and the offense seemed to flow better when he was in.

Lol. Stokes still got tripled teamed this year with maymon. You're also forgetting Jrich. Next year has a lot of upside and without the hype which sounds great to me.

Not nearly dumb as you'll look after next season.

How good would next year be if CM left and Stokes left and we lost our recruits? We might make the tournament in another couple of years...maybe.

Chill out man. This team bought in to CM at the end of the year. He didn't suddenly figure out how to coach. We have some good players next year, and with the parody in the NCAA today that's really all you need to make a good run.

Reactions: 1 person
Not nearly dumb as you'll look after next season.

Go be a Kentucky fan. Whether you like Coach Zo or not is irrelevant now; you are pulling for him to lose so you can wave it in our faces. You are pulling for Tennessee to lose. You are not a Tennessee fan. Go pull the blue and white poms out of your closet and wave them around. It will make you feel better.

Reactions: 2 people
How good would next year be if CM left and Stokes left and we lost our recruits? We might make the tournament in another couple of years...maybe.

Chill out man. This team bought in to CM at the end of the year. He didn't suddenly figure out how to coach. We have some good players next year, and with the parody in the NCAA today that's really all you need to make a good run.

You are right I just don't see how starting over with a new coach is a better alternative than keeping Cuonzo. The word for today is stability.

I'll admit there are some questionable fans on these boards just look at Lady Vols board where there are a few calling for Holly Warlick to be fired. I mean in two years as HC she has an SEC regular & SEC Tournament title an Elite 8 and Sweet16 appearance!

Now that's extreme calling for a coach with that record to be fired but Cuonzo Martin on the other hand was 39-28 in his first two years with a couple of NIT appearances and not counting the last 10 games this season (including SEC & NCAA Tournament) he was 16-11.

Tennessee went 8-2 over its last ten games to get to play in the Sweet 16!

Now the big question is which is the real Cuonzo Martin the one that was 55-39 in three years minus 10 games or Cuonzo Martin that showed a little fire and passion in the NCAA Tournament and went 8-2 over the last 10 games and came with in 2 points of the Elite 8??

VN Store

Back