BREAKING NEWS!!!Cuonzo Martin removes name from Marquette search

I wouldn't say that. There's a good chance we don't make the tournament next year.

Depends on Stokes.

Rather take my chances next year with Cuonzo and let him prove with no excuses whether he is or is not the guy than try and rebuild again with (most likely) a mid major low buy coach.

The sad thing is, with the way our luck goes, Gregg Marshall wanted the job again and we get this news.

Oh well, hope he's got it together and the perfect storm happens with Stokes, transfers, incoming freshmen and we can get back to the bubble next season.

It would've taken a boatload of cash and Marshall's pride would've had to take a backseat if he would entertain UT's offer again.

Wait what? Why would you want them to eat crow? As a UT fan, even if you don't think Cuonzo is the right coach, shouldn't you hope that you're the wrong one and have to eat crow?

You'll have to forgive him, clearly he's decided to go full butthurt on this.

Reactions: 5 people
He isn't Dooley. He's not going to burn the program. If you think UT was going to hire a big name if CCM, more power to ya.

I did not.

Exactly...I have not always been impressed with Martin, but I don't see a whole lot of top notch coaches beating down our door either.

And with this tourney run he has shown he can get it done.

He needs to continue to improve, but I see no reason why he can't.

Wait what? Why would you want them to eat crow? As a UT fan, even if you don't think Cuonzo is the right coach, shouldn't you hope that you're the wrong one and have to eat crow?

Don't you know that many people on VN would rather be "right" in some petty argument than watch their team win?

It would've taken a boatload of cash and Marshall's pride would've had to take a backseat if he would entertain UT's offer again.

Which was not going to happen.

Yeah, if I get Howland or Marshall, then bye Cuonzo. But real life doesn't work like that.

He just needed some leverage in the Hart negotiations. I mean, who can blame him for at least speaking with them?

Reactions: 1 person
Clown?

Obviously you are biased and illogical about this, so I'll stop.

Biased? You can sit there and tell me he's the right coach for this job? The best coach we could get? What has shown you this? Pleaseeee tell me

You don't remember the mess he walked into?

This. We lost two legit MacDonald's All Americans when Bruce left...our top two scorers and leaders. The remaining players were demoralized and Martin installed a different system.

Anyone who expected anything at all that first year was on crack. But that hasn't stopped a whole bunch of people on here from including it in their assessment of Martin!

They are either forgetful or completely ignorant....I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say senility. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Well that's fantastic. Why don't we continue to let someone hit the lottery every year to LEARN how to coach. Thats a wonderful ideal. Plenty of coaches out there with better track records who know how to coach than someone learning on the job. But that's fine...I don't mind rooting for a mediocre coached team. I've been doing it for three years.

You act like your ass is entitled. You don't give enough damn money to the school to be entitled. You're exactly why people laugh at UT fans that go crazy and act like a bunch of dumbass hilljacks.

If he stays, Hart is going to let him either succeed or fail on his own terms. He'll probably get two more years to see what else he can do. Until then, wait until he actually has a losing season before you jump off the cliff.

Reactions: 7 people
Biased? You can sit there and tell me he's the right coach for this job? The best coach we could get? What has shown you this? Pleaseeee tell me

I didn't say that.

You were the one calling the coach that has averaged 20 wins a year and has been an absolute wonderful representative for this university a clown. Tony Barber is a clown. Scott Drew is a clown. Cuonzo isn't. He might be an average coach, but calling him a clown is petty.

Hart convinced him to stay here. I imagine help came from Pilot Oil

Nice, really didn't think money was gonna be a "main factor", if that makes sense. I assume Marquette and Tennessee would be comparable money, but that there was tension between Tennessee and Martin.

So it sounds like Hart really wanted to keep him?

What is it about being tied for the fifth most wins in our history this year, and the second best tourney run, that makes you think he HASN'T done a good job?

Point to the regular season all you want, but the tourney is what matters. Just ask Kentucky fans if you don't believe me. They had a pretty ****ty season themselves.

Whether you're for him or against him, you have to support the team. Negativity will do nothing but bring them down. Sure this season wasn't what was expected, had some bad losses, but we really didn't see a sweet 16 coming. This will be his 4th year, we have guys that can contribute and obviously want to contribute. Hopefully stokes returns that would be huge. Let's hope we can put a whole season together and eliminate some of these bad losses.

You're right. We should fire a coach coming off of the school's first Sweet 16 appearance in a half decade. This is exactly why mongoloids like yourself aren't athletic directors.

I didn't say fire him. I've said it many times. Marquette taking him is a gift. A win freakin win. They talk him into staying? That's so smart.

Reactions: 1 person
This was just released 46 minutes ago...Not sure where you heard Martin had removed his name...UT is not interested in giving him a raise according to this article. Cuonzo Martin, Steve Wojciechowski appear to be Marquette's top choices Martin met Monday with Tennessee officials, who reportedly are not interested in giving him a raise from $1.3 million. Marquette would be in a position to pay him substantially more

VN Store

Back