Bowden's shooting

6 rebounds in the last 3 games. That isn't rebounding well for a guy with his size.
That's true.

Hm...maybe it was the broadcasting last game saying he was the best rebounder we had at his position then? I thought that was a goofy comment when it was only 2.5 rebounds a game, but that could be it.

You guys that are writing Bowden off will regret it.

Personally I think it's okay to not expect him to get his mojo back this year (and want his minutes reduced for that reason), but I agree with you he likely will be lights out next year. He obviously has the talent. He just needs to work at least as hard as Schofield on his shot.

Reactions: 2 people
Next year, Jalen Johnson will get those minutes as he is a KNOCK DOWN shooter, but once Barnes gets w/ Bowden and show him film on what he needs to do and STOP PLAYING SCARED and fouling sooo much, he should be OK, if not, TO THE BENCH !!

That's true.

Hm...maybe it was the broadcasting last game saying he was the best rebounder we had at his position then? I thought that was a goofy comment when it was only 2.5 rebounds a game, but that could be it.

Yeah, size for size, L. Turner is twice the rebounder, isn't afraid to drive it to the basket, and is a much better shooter right now. Also a better FT shooter. A lot of the difference in the two players is Turner has all the confidence in the world, and Bowden has none.

Reactions: 1 person
PSA to BOWDEN: You play DEFENSE with your FEET, not with your HANDS !! Stop reaching and STAY in front of your man !!

This is reason #1 that I feel his defense is a bit overrated. He had 12 fouls in three games, primarily because he doesn't move his feet and can't resist the temptation to reach.

You’re just very emotional as we all are. I try not to post during games cause I am as well.

The game threads are for the birds and the emotional nancies. I can't stand 90% of the emotional commentary inside those threads so I just steer clear.

The game threads are for the birds and the emotional nancies. I can't stand 90% of the emotional commentary inside those threads so I just steer clear.

I avoid them as well for the most part. I provide my own DA commentary at home by myself.

Yeah, size for size, L. Turner is twice the rebounder, isn't afraid to drive it to the basket, and is a much better shooter right now. Also a better FT shooter. A lot of the difference in the two players is Turner has all the confidence in the world, and Bowden has none.
I agree with this. I think Bowden has the talent to be more effective than Turner, but he needs more confidence and drive.

Before anyone says I am a Bowden-hater, I believe he is a key piece on our team and brings great defensive energy and is a good passer. This thread is entirely about his shooting and what happened to it.

This year he had a sharp decline in shooting during the middle of the SEC season. See stats:

Bowden since the (home)Vandy game has been 33/143 (23%).
Bowden before the (home)Vandy game was 60/128 (47%).

Any speculation as to what has happened?

Like Barnes has done with others that have become liabilites, Bowden needs more pine time.

He’s just not that good vs top Sec teams normally. Probably more a CUSA player.

I don't understand how having mental blocks mean you're a CUSA player. Unless you think half of our players are CUSA players, which is false or means that CRB is by far the best coach in basketball.

Last edited:
His shot selection is usually good, which is what makes this stat even more weird. He has pretty good looks more times than not, but I cringe every time he shoots a 3 now.

Same here and back in December I was saying he needed to shoot more. It's all confidence. If he can start knocking down a few and get his confidence back, we will be a hard team to beat. If not, he needs to sit and Daniel needs to get his minutes.

Are you kidding me dude? Go back and look at his numbers against SEC opponents.

UT doesn’t win some of those games without him. UK, Vandy, Tamu, USC.

Pure speculation; but Bowden was shooting lights out early in the year, then, by all reports, Rick stayed on him to look for his shot more. Right after that, he went cold. I think he got out of his comfort zone.

Struggles at the free throw line, doesn't rebound and can't shoot for ****... Plays good defense though.

I don't understand how having mental blocks mean you're a CUSA player. Unless you think half of our players are CUSA players, which is false or means that CRB is by far the best coach in basketball.

You say it’s mental blocks. I say it’s lack of talent vs the top players and teams in this league on a consistent basis. You’re entitled to your opinion but Bowden does great vs the weaker SEC teams and non-conference teams. He did have enough mental toughness to hit two FTs vs Ga with SEC title on the line. But no one was guarding him then either.

You say it’s mental blocks. I say it’s lack of talent vs the top players and teams in this league on a consistent basis. You’re entitled to your opinion but Bowden does great vs the weaker SEC teams and non-conference teams. He did have enough mental toughness to hit two FTs vs Ga with SEC title on the line. But no one was guarding him then either.

He played well against Tamu and UK.. so

Edit: misread your post.

I still think missing open threes the last half of the year is not a talent difference thing, but this is probably an agree to disagree kind of thing.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back