Bobby Denton (Neyland's PA Announcer)

I agree...I posted this in another thread but I swear he called Jacques "Jackass Smith" yesterday.

there's a number of people on here that don't like him for whatever reason, and i don't understand why. i love denton. i think he does a great job. it's not going to be the same going to a game when he's not there anymore.

Absolutely agree.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I personally can't stand this guy's work, he gets names wrong ALL the time. You'd think he'd know how to say Reveiz by now! He is absolutely horrible!

He's a legend... but not as entertaining after he went on the wagon a few years back; the names, though, I mean, I think he does that on purpose!

He's a legend... but not as entertaining after he went on the wagon a few years back; the names, though, I mean, I think he does that on purpose!

I didnt know he went on the wagon. I knew that he used to throw 'em down pretty well out at Holston Hills CC.

Favorite part of that article in knoxnews.com:

But perhaps one of the most memorable Neyland Stadium moments that lives with every avid UT football fan was against South Carolina when Lou Holtz was still coaching the Gamecocks. South Carolina was staring down the field at 4th down and 45 yards to go. In typical Bobby Denton style he called the play with, "It's fourth down and the river!"

"The crowd went wild," Bobby says. "They interviewed Lou Holtz and asked him if he thought I was showdogging to which Lou Holtz responded, 'Hell, I thought it was farther than that.'"

Reactions: 2 people
For you younger members, Bobby was a popular DJ on WIVK for many years, becoming general manager of the station before he retired.

I've known Bobby for over 50 years. He's really a great guy and his blood runs pure Orange.

I hope he keeps on keepin' on in Neyland for many years.

Dick:)

Reactions: 1 person
I'll bet he can do the pre-game announcements (culminating with "Please pay these prices and please pay....noo mooore") in his sleep with no script in front of him. It seems that it hasn't changed in over 35 years since I've been going to games.

I really like hearing "met by a HOST of Volunteers!" on occasion.

One complaint though: with all the other renovations to the stadium, I do wish they would install a newer, clearer, more effective sound system and speakers throughout the stadium. It is often difficult to hear or distinguish what's being said, not just with his calls during games, but especially the jumbotron featured videos.

Hatin' on Bobby Denton because he messes up names would be the equivalent of bi#ching your grandmother out for the pork roast being too dry. Dude's been doin' this shiz since before a huge portion of the fan base was born. Get over yourselves.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back