Bleacher Report Says Tennessee is 10-2 in 2015

10-2 is ludicrously optimistic. I'd love to eat crow but I'll be happy with 8 wins if they include wins over OU, UGA, and/or UF ... [OLine sucks, will continue to suck until 2016] ... Unless Richmond comes in and has a Derek Barnett type of year on the O-line, then they may be able to throw together a decent unit.

Ludicrous (Adjective):
1. Idiotic or unthinkable, often to the point of being funny.
2. Amusing by being plainly incongruous or absurd.
Synonyms: laughable, ridiculous, idiotic, unthinkable, absurd

If 10-2 were truly ludicrous (ridiculous, absurd, unthinkable), you would not have been able to think up a scenario where it was possible (the part about Richmond coming in and having a Barnett type of year).

So even for you, 10-2 is clearly not ludicrous. Unlikely perhaps, but not ludicrous.

You gotta restore your faith, brother Vol. Maybe you can't do it on your own, maybe you need Team 119 to help you out by winning a ton. I understand. It has been a long drought since we were last relevant.

But mark this: from this point on, every year is a potential championship year.

Reactions: 1 person
I always wondered if these guys knew what they were talking about or just talking. Now I know. 10-2. Nice but not likely.

What hurt us the most last year was your ridiculous pass rush versus our weak O line. Our line should at least be somewhat imrpoved, and if I read your depth chart correctly I see you replace your NFL caliber DEs with Sophomores. Correct me if I'm wrong btw. Do you think you'll see a drop off in production in that department? I personally think it's why we lost.

We will have a bit of a Drop off as both are RSSO but Harris is highly talented a NR kid who we hid away in KC until signing day. He was a Bball till his JR year. He is a better athlete than Ray coaches compare him to Aldon Smith Athlete wise and he smart to boot biology major and a utlra hard worker. I see good things out of him he did play some last year and started a game. Had 19 tackles 4 for a loss and 2 sacks.

Loud is a 3* from Texas and pretty talented more so than a Sam from a measurable stand point but he has taken longer to buy into the Work ethic. Last year he also played at times and you could see his improvement. He had 14 tackles,half a sack and a pass break up vs. A&M.

We are bringing in Juco DE to provide depth but some of our RSF are showing Flashes of real potential. All of them are gifted at edge rushing now it's just adding weight and strength to take the rigors of the SEC.

We will be better at DT than last year. Augusta is a 4* who didn't RS and has had nice production From the Get go he really Demands a Double team at 6'4 335 and Brantley Was AP All-SEC honorable Mention with 5 sacks 7 TFL and 54 tackles not bad for a back up. The depth is pretty good as well with Hatley and Winston who have looked good in Spring they are Hoch and Vincent project guys who are on track development wise.A bonsu is With Terry Beckner 2nd in the ESPN top 300 and a 5* or 4* depending on what site you follow coming in who should be in the Rotation he will play from day one is the world.

I confident our front 7 will be on par with last year as a collective.

UGA 10-2
TN 8-4
Missouri 8-4
FL 7-5
USC 6-6
UK 6-6
Vandy 3-9

My SEC East - SEC loss predictions:
1st - TN losses AL and/or AR
2nd - GA losses AL, AU and TN
3rd - MO losses TN, AR and GA
4th - SC losses GA, MO, LSU, TN and TXam
5th - FL losses LSU, TN, GA, MO and SC
6th - KY losses a lot
7th - Vandy loses all

Missouri has the easiest schedule.

We will have a bit of a Drop off as both are RSSO but Harris is highly talented a NR kid who we hid away in KC until signing day. He was a Bball till his JR year. He is a better athlete than Ray coaches compare him to Aldon Smith Athlete wise and he smart to boot biology major and a utlra hard worker. I see good things out of him he did play some last year and started a game. Had 19 tackles 4 for a loss and 2 sacks.

Loud is a 3* from Texas and pretty talented more so than a Sam from a measurable stand point but he has taken longer to buy into the Work ethic. Last year he also played at times and you could see his improvement. He had 14 tackles,half a sack and a pass break up vs. A&M.

We are bringing in Juco DE to provide depth but some of our RSF are showing Flashes of real potential. All of them are gifted at edge rushing now it's just adding weight and strength to take the rigors of the SEC.

We will be better at DT than last year. Augusta is a 4* who didn't RS and has had nice production From the Get go he really Demands a Double team at 6'4 335 and Brantley Was AP All-SEC honorable Mention with 5 sacks 7 TFL and 54 tackles not bad for a back up. The depth is pretty good as well with Hatley and Winston who have looked good in Spring they are Hoch and Vincent project guys who are on track development wise.A bonsu is With Terry Beckner 2nd in the ESPN top 300 and a 5* or 4* depending on what site you follow coming in who should be in the Rotation he will play from day one is the world.

Yeah Mizzou has been consistently good in their front 7 since they entered the conference.
Plus you still have Mauk...

But our defense will be much improved this year.

It should be a great game.

Thank you for the write-up, and welcome to our board btw (forgot to mention that earlier). Pinkel seems to have a good system in place for defensive player development. I honestly would be surprised if there was a massive drop off for you guys there. What are your feelings on the offense this coming up year? If you couldn't tell I like opposing fan perspectives lol

As an edit, how much or little do you think the defensive coordinator change hurts or helps?

Last edited:
Thank you for the write-up, and welcome to our board btw (forgot to mention that earlier). Pinkel seems to have a good system in place for defensive player development. I honestly would be surprised if there was a massive drop off for you guys there. What are your feelings on the offense this coming up year? If you couldn't tell I like opposing fan perspectives lol

As an edit, how much or little do you think the defensive coordinator change hurts or helps?

The Drop off at DC will not happen,Odom was a coach at Mizzou under Steck and GP and played for Mizzou. He really turned around Memphis Def. from one of the worst to one of the best. They ranked 5th in scoring def.,which IMO is the only real Def. stat that carries weight, and 22nd in over all def. last year on their 10-3 squad which capped off the season with a win over BYU. This IMO was a massive turn around going from 117th total scoring def. in 2011 prior to his arrival. HE is a lot like Steck a fired up go after them coach. I'm sure he will have some growing pains but I think he will be a good one.

Now from the Offensive side it's a little more dicey. Mauk is a gamer and a leader but his passing comp.%% is frustrating to say the least. He dials up the big hail mary and bails us out but he really needs to step it up and make the mundane average play more often. Our WR are really a worry because they are so young and unproven. We have talent with Speed and height but they have to produce now and get on the same page with Mauk. We actually moved a CB to the slot, he played both in high school and his a dynamic athlete 4* guy he was able to make the move because we have a glut of CB.

But our offense is till a mystery at this point. Let's just say the Defense has dominated the offense in scrimmages and practice but that has been the norm since about 2008. And is a good thing IMO as we all know the Def. better be ahead of the O early on or it could be a long season.

Our OL will be our strength and Hansbrough is a good RB but we are still working on developing depth at those spots. Steward should be a stud but he has been out since last Aug. with a hip injury so he is a big question mark if healthy he would be our best back but I am not counting on him he would be a bonus at this point,Waters is out till fall with a ACL so he is a huge question mark as well, Witter played some last year showed flashes and has potential but he needs to step it up, bottom line is we need to develop that 3rd guy. Abbington is a 4* Juco showing up in June he is a 3 to play 3 guy measurables are 6'2.5 215 guy with nice speed not elite but fast enough. He is a different type back for us with the ability to slide into a H-back role as well. We have some nice Freshman coming in as well but I hate relying on Frosh at RB although that is probably the most easy position to play at early.

If our Offense can equal or slightly improve on last year I will be happy. I think we really run the ball well and a lot. Mauk has really improved his physical ability, it's reported his body fat went from 20% to 11% and he is the most healthy he has been in a long time ...shoulder problem is healed and he feels good. But we will see.

Thanks for the welcome as well. I enjoy reading and picking the brains of opposing fan bases as well ask any question.

I'd ask you some but with the vast amount of threads and info. posted most of mine get answered.

Yeah Mizzou has been consistently good in their front 7 since they entered the conference.
Plus you still have Mauk...

But our defense will be much improved this year.

It should be a great game.

I agree the VOL's should be really rolling this season! Watched the domination of the Orange over Iowa in the bowl game and you could see the extra practices paid off. Butch has a boat load of talent now if he can get it to mesh up and play as a unit the sky is the limit.

My only concern with Butch Jones is the turnover recruiting approach. Not a fan of that and it can make it hard to develop a great chemistry and cohesion attitude. As far as his scheme and X's and O's he is top notch. I understand that some coaches want players in the 2 deep by their Soph. year or they want to move on but I'm not sure that is the best plan except for a few Elite top tier programs. Once the program is built it is easier to do that IMO than to try to build a program doing that.

It should be a great game I'm just glad it's at Faurot field this year, that could be the difference and this game could have some big implications on the SECE!

At this point I'd put the Vols as a 3 point Favorite.

My, you must be bored. It truly is telling of a fan base when you feel the need to come around and rub salt in the wounds of a program that has been at a historic low to make yourself feel superior. Just remember, what goes around comes around and I can guarantee you that you guys are living in a historically good period that CAN NOT and WILL NOT be sustained much longer. Look at your post season "success" lately. Oh sure, we've been down, but what happened to the almighty tide? It appears the competition is beginning to catch up with or pass you. Enjoy it while it lasts, because if the last two post seasons are any indicator, times are changing.

Absolutely. I am almost giddy imagining the wailing and gnashing of teeth to be heard in Bammer land when they fall from grace. Me thinks we have already seen a stumble.

I agree the VOL's should be really rolling this season! Watched the domination of the Orange over Iowa in the bowl game and you could see the extra practices paid off. Butch has a boat load of talent now if he can get it to mesh up and play as a unit the sky is the limit.

My only concern with Butch Jones is the turnover recruiting approach. Not a fan of that and it can make it hard to develop a great chemistry and cohesion attitude. As far as his scheme and X's and O's he is top notch. I understand that some coaches want players in the 2 deep by their Soph. year or they want to move on but I'm not sure that is the best plan except for a few Elite top tier programs. Once the program is built it is easier to do that IMO than to try to build a program doing that.

It should be a great game I'm just glad it's at Faurot field this year, that could be the difference and this game could have some big implications on the SECE!

At this point I'd put the Vols as a 3 point Favorite.

Thanks for all the info. Solid posts.

How many of you have kids that weren't alive the last time Tennessee beat Alabama???

:D:D:):p

Don't fool yourself fool. You got lucky. You got lucky with a state that had no other sports to follow. You got lucky at a college where money was no object and they were ready to make everyone one else a little money (ncaa, espn, etc). You got lucky with a failed coach that already had his fingers firmly in the recruiting of florida. The heat miser they call satan. Still you managed to drop that trophy on the ground and break it into a thousand shards.

But now your luck has run out. bama is old hat. Talking heads are looking for fresh meat. You now have the cold miser recruiting and running your offense. It's only a matter of time before that thug life he brings in will eat itself from the inside out. bama is red mud, its lower than dirt. Always will be.

He may be brushing his tooth

Or calling his sister up for a date, or sweeping the dirt front yard around the 55 chevy on CMU blocks, or practicing the banjo for the next time some city folk come around on a whitewater rafting trip. No telling what the little fella is up to.

[said with full appreciation of the irony of a Tennessee boy making fun of an Alabama boy for being a country hick]

Last edited:
The Drop off at DC will not happen,Odom was a coach at Mizzou under Steck and GP and played for Mizzou. He really turned around Memphis Def. from one of the worst to one of the best. They ranked 5th in scoring def.,which IMO is the only real Def. stat that carries weight, and 22nd in over all def. last year on their 10-3 squad which capped off the season with a win over BYU. This IMO was a massive turn around going from 117th total scoring def. in 2011 prior to his arrival. HE is a lot like Steck a fired up go after them coach. I'm sure he will have some growing pains but I think he will be a good one.

Now from the Offensive side it's a little more dicey. Mauk is a gamer and a leader but his passing comp.%% is frustrating to say the least. He dials up the big hail mary and bails us out but he really needs to step it up and make the mundane average play more often. Our WR are really a worry because they are so young and unproven. We have talent with Speed and height but they have to produce now and get on the same page with Mauk. We actually moved a CB to the slot, he played both in high school and his a dynamic athlete 4* guy he was able to make the move because we have a glut of CB.

But our offense is till a mystery at this point. Let's just say the Defense has dominated the offense in scrimmages and practice but that has been the norm since about 2008. And is a good thing IMO as we all know the Def. better be ahead of the O early on or it could be a long season.

Our OL will be our strength and Hansbrough is a good RB but we are still working on developing depth at those spots. Steward should be a stud but he has been out since last Aug. with a hip injury so he is a big question mark if healthy he would be our best back but I am not counting on him he would be a bonus at this point,Waters is out till fall with a ACL so he is a huge question mark as well, Witter played some last year showed flashes and has potential but he needs to step it up, bottom line is we need to develop that 3rd guy. Abbington is a 4* Juco showing up in June he is a 3 to play 3 guy measurables are 6'2.5 215 guy with nice speed not elite but fast enough. He is a different type back for us with the ability to slide into a H-back role as well. We have some nice Freshman coming in as well but I hate relying on Frosh at RB although that is probably the most easy position to play at early.

If our Offense can equal or slightly improve on last year I will be happy. I think we really run the ball well and a lot. Mauk has really improved his physical ability, it's reported his body fat went from 20% to 11% and he is the most healthy he has been in a long time ...shoulder problem is healed and he feels good. But we will see.

Thanks for the welcome as well. I enjoy reading and picking the brains of opposing fan bases as well ask any question.

I'd ask you some but with the vast amount of threads and info. posted most of mine get answered.

Excellent synopsis, and again do feel free to ask anything specific here and we can save you the time of sorting through VN. There is a lot of good information here, you just have to wade through a sea of rumors, negavol posts, and general idiocy.

Side note, you don't need to tell me about Memphis last year. I'm a '13 alum. :) I was raised on UT football with my dad, and as young as I am have been going to games since the days of Jamal Lewis, Tee Martin, and Manning of course. I did watch a lot of Memphis football though, and that BYU win was one of the best bowl games last year imo.

The Drop off at DC will not happen,Odom was a coach at Mizzou under Steck and GP and played for Mizzou.

I know as a fan that's what you hope for but he's taking a step up in competition. Even if the changes are no more than leadership style and playcalling, it is unlikely that there won't be any drop off at all.

It is likely that there will be at least an adjustment period following a guy who was there as long as your last DC.

That's a really tough expectation. You lost by far and away your best playmaker in Murphy. From a fairly anemic O, you lost your top 4 receivers a year after losing your top 3. It is difficult to seeing MU's O getting better while returning only one proven playmaker at a skill position and with the leading WR returning with only 5 catches.

As UT fans learned well in '13, running the ball well without legitimate threats at the WR position in the SEC is a very, very difficult proposition.

Reactions: 2 people
BR Goes All In for Vols.
"Tennessee (11-2)
The best team in the SEC won't necessarily win the SEC. Auburn and Alabama possess more talent than Tennessee, but the Vols boast an advantage they do not: playing in the SEC East. They also boast a proven star quarterback, Joshua Dobbs, while the Crimson Tide and Tigers lose Blake Sims and Nick Marshall, respectively.

Assuming they lose a road game at Alabama, their only other road games look winnable: at Florida, Kentucky and Missouri. A young roster with astronomical upside can ride Neyland Stadium to wins over Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia and South Carolina. At that point, all it would need is one win—60 strong minutes—in the SEC Championship Game to finish 12-1 and secure a playoff berth.

Even if the Vols drop a second game—as long as it's against anyone but Georgia—an 11-2 SEC champion would sneak into the playoff."

Reactions: 3 people
I love the optimism. But this wont happen unless the O Line improves drastically from last year imo

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but the OL did fine when Dobbs came in. They have run zone blocking scheme ever since Jones has set foot on campus, zone blocking doesn't fair well for a drop back passer (Worley). Its meant to open holes in the line to give the QB options if there are no open receivers in his 3-5 second read.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but the OL did fine when Dobbs came in. They have run zone blocking scheme ever since Jones has set foot on campus, zone blocking doesn't fair well for a drop back passer (Worley). Its meant to open holes in the line to give the QB options if there are no open receivers in his 3-5 second read.

OL was far from fine with Dobbs in. Missouri killed him. We may have won a few games, but they will really have to improve to go against the big boys.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back