Bill Battle steps down at Bama

Fair enough. And you're right, Tennessee needs to act soon and show the rest of the country that its not being ran by a bunch of idiots. I'll always love Tennessee and be proud of my University, but it's embarrassing. The Power T does not mean as much to people across the country as it once did. We have got to get our national reputation back!

Unfortunately, our beloved university has been run by incompetent idiots going on two decades now. I'm embarrassed by it as well, and I think they should Be ashamed of themselves, and not just for sports. But when it comes to sports, they just can't see the monetary and stature benefits that come when you actually look like you're trying to win instead of looking like some morons who have no business running any institution of higher learning scraping the bottom of the bargain bin with every move. It's shameful.

Reactions: 1 person
Pathetic and dysfunctional.
As long as they can get cheap coaches and make a bowl then they are happy. They know that year after year that fans will flock to Neyland and buy season tickets. They will screw up the AD hire.

Blackburn on Twitter:

David Blackburn
‏@DBlackburnUTC
Love Alabama's decive action to move quickly to hire my friend Greg Byrne! He'll do well! Following another Grt!person & friend Bill Battle.

https://twitter.com/DBlackburnUTC/status/820857342069706752

:whistling::popcorn:

Sounds like a dig at UTK administration and makes me wonder if he's been told that he won't be offered the job. I'm probably reading into the tweet too much but he must have known how that decisive action remark would be received.

Jan 12
David Blackburn ‏@DBlackburnUTC
Proud of Chattanooga's current athletic director's cup all sports rank of 107! Smaller budgets are overcome w/grt mindsets! #GoMocs

Sometimes I feel UT is being run by idiots.

KBVol, you asked a while back about LVBBall, and I tried to answer your questions. It's not looking good; the concerns we discussed may come to fruition. Hope we get a good AD out of all this.

Gonna lose #1 recruiting class.

Not defending the administration, but to me it looks like the only difference is that Hart announced his retirement publicly and Battle didnt.

Agree, but it seems it evolved this way because UT didn't opt in for contract renewal/raise, and Hart announced retirement, which does kinda put him in lame duck scenario, which isn't ideal going through OC hirings...late announcement on chancellor probably added to timeline snafu also?

Wow. Bama hires an AD before the job officially opens and Tennessee has been looking six months.

-Clay Travis

Sums it up pretty good. And, if recent reports are accurate, we may still be 3-4 months away from a hire, even though the best candidate is already in our University system an hour and a half away from campus.

it's the PROCESS..

idea: let's hire a committee to supercede logic and good common sense. lets over analyze the data, pour over it. Not gonna lie, Travis is an assclown...Im a Fulmer guy. But, when youve got a Battle, Blackburn, and Fulmer out there to hire. what else is there? wish we had that wealth to choose from for HC

Wow. Bama hires an AD before the job officially opens and Tennessee has been looking six months.

-Clay Travis

Sums it up pretty good. And, if recent reports are accurate, we may still be 3-4 months away from a hire, even though the best candidate is already in our University system an hour and a half away from campus.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The changes will come from the top down. You don't hire an employee that will new boss has to live with. If you did, the person you hired must really need the job to run the risk of not being the person the new boss will live with.

Battle has been battling publicized health problems for awhile now.

Bill Battle to take leave of absence from University of Alabama - News - Tuscaloosa News - Tuscaloosa, AL

The time frames are pretty close between Battle and Hart.

The difference seems to be in the leadership at Bama and their ability to actually make a decision versus the inability by anyone to take responsibility for a decision in the UT administration.

Dipietro has been a ghost for months now until he could get a scapegoat in place in the form of Davenport and put the AD decision on her. In the interim, Fulmer appears to have wormed his way into the conversation now making it an even bigger mess.

The entire time, the athletic program in Knoxville looks like a complete joke.

It boils down to Alabama knowing its identity while Tennessee struggles to figure its out. I'm sure Alabama wants to improve academically too, but they devote a significant time and focus on athletics and it translates to success on the field which then equals more students, more money, etc. They realize they are a strong southern school and they are ok with that since they are also a national powerhouse.

Tennessee has been so focused on its journey to becoming a top 25 public institution that they have lost sight of our athletics. It's appalling how far Tennessee athletics have fallen. It's not as important or a focus to the current administration. It's all new classrooms and academia at Tennessee currently. Our administration needs to realize that we can improve academically and athletically. They need to realize the effects that a strong athletic department and programs will have on the University as a whole and how that will further help them accomplish their long term goals as well.

I'm running for office boys. Orange&White 2017.
HuRay!!! Someone other than me finally states the problem. Athletics, rightly or wrongly, has taken a back seat to academia. What must become evident to the powers that be is great athletics will help generate better academics. A school must be exciting to all types of students and supporters, not just academic types.

Alot of people in Alabama are not happy about the way things are being ran either, but as long as the football team is winning nothing else matters. Tuition has gone through the roof and the school has focused more on out of state students to boost tuition after the state cut a bunch of money a few years ago. Out of state students outnumber in state students and its unaffordable for people in Alabama except the superrich.

Hey! I was at orientation a year or so ago (at UTK) with a granddaughter and it seemed to me their were more out of state folks there than instate. I have another granddaughter in Ala. getting out high school and from what I see, there is very little difference in UTK and UA's cost per year for instate kids.

We're either cheap or incompetent or both..."cheap" in terms of do what you have to do in order to get the right guy. Wonder if it's not already done, but UT doesn't want to double dip on AD compensation in 2017. Below is published payout for Hart's contract not being extended...

Hart’s contract was set to expire Sept. 20, 2018. Tennessee is giving Hart a retirement payment of $645,454, representing 75 percent of the aggregate base salary he would have earned between July 1 and the contract expiration date.

Oh we're both

Maybe UT can offer big money and hire bill battle on an interim basis to clean up all the problems in the athletic dept

I am genuinely confused as to how having a majority of students from out of state is a problem.

I suspect that you will find that the overall gpa is raised by the out- of- staters. You can figure out the reason for this yourself. Also, many of these kids are children of alumni. Look at the location of UTK and UA. Being close to other states (UTK most) makes it easy to commute to home.

The admin at UT has been incompitant since Joe Johnson left. I wish the BOT was an elected position

I wonder how this would work? We seem to have made the election process nothing but a popularity contest over the past. It works sometimes AND doesn't lots of times.

VN Store

Back