Bill Battle steps down at Bama

Well it's time. We should take action. We need pitch forks and fire. We should march to the hill. And I'm going to park my truck outside of the UTAD office with "Hire Blackburn" signs all over it.

But seriously, this is embarrassing. I hate them and rarely agree with their actions, but Alabama continues to show the rest of the country that athletics are important to them and they go get the best in the business. Our chancellor has been approved by the BOT and has had plenty of time to vet potential replacements. There's been time to conduct a search and thoroughly examine candidates. I was glad to read the article about her taking sports seriously and understanding their importance to a University, but how much longer is this going to take? If they do not pick Blackburn, since we have wasted so much time another good candidate in Byrne is gone. I wish somebody would just give us answers.

LWS have you heard anything else?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We're either cheap or incompetent or both..."cheap" in terms of do what you have to do in order to get the right guy. Wonder if it's not already done, but UT doesn't want to double dip on AD compensation in 2017. Below is published payout for Hart's contract not being extended...

Hart’s contract was set to expire Sept. 20, 2018. Tennessee is giving Hart a retirement payment of $645,454, representing 75 percent of the aggregate base salary he would have earned between July 1 and the contract expiration date.

I try not to be overly negative but here's something that leaves me scratching my head. We seem to lean towards saving money when hiring but are always paying 2 people at once after "parting ways".

Seems like making better hires, keeping them and increased revenue as a result, would be a decent way to go.
But maybe I'm just confused.

Reactions: 5 people
Well it's time. We should take action. We need pitch forks and fire. We should march to the hill. And I'm going to park my truck outside of the UTAD office with "Hire Blackburn" signs all over it.

But seriously, this is embarrassing. I hate them and rarely agree with their actions, but Alabama continues to show the rest of the country that athletics are important to them and they go get the best in the business. Our chancellor has been approved by the BOT and has had plenty of time to vet potential replacements. There's been time to conduct a search and thoroughly examine candidates. I was glad to read the article about her taking sports seriously and understanding their importance to a University, but how much longer is this going to take? If they do not pick Blackburn, since we have wasted so much time another good candidate in Byrne is gone. I wish somebody would just give us answers.

LWS have you heard anything else?!

It feels like they're sitting on thier hands waiting for the right time to have the "whose left" discussion.

I try not to be overly negative but here's something that leaves me scratching my head. We seem to lean towards saving money when hiring but are always paying 2 people at once after "parting ways".

Seems like making better hires, keeping them and increased revenue as a result, would be a decent way to go.
But maybe I'm just confused.

Nope, clearly not the way UT thinks.

Well I hate our incompetent administration. One of the greatest things about an intelligent person is they learn from their mistakes and improve. They quit making the same mistakes. However, it seems Tennessee is ran by a bunch of morons because we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and then scratch our heads and wonder why it did not work out.

I completely agree with what someone said above me. If we're so concerned with money, then quit allowing your DA athletic director to extend contracts to worthless coaches and give them multi-million buyouts. If you want success pay a little more and go get a proven winner. We're cheap and try to find a diamond in the rough and it always bites us in the butt. NO MORE! Go get the BEST! Paying more upfront is better than starting all over again and paying two people since one has an enormous buyout.

I only hope we have Blackburn or another stellar candidate hired and it's just being kept under wraps. But I doubt it. Lord help me.

Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes I feel UT is being run by idiots.

KBVol, you asked a while back about LVBBall, and I tried to answer your questions. It's not looking good; the concerns we discussed may come to fruition. Hope we get a good AD out of all this.

We are being run and lead by idiots.

Not really this had to be in the works behind the scenes because Byrne turned down Texas and Florida

Yep. If I'm not mistaken, Battle is 74 and has been treated for cancer since ~2014. And I think in 2013 he signed a 4 year contract. So they have working on his replacement for some time. So suspect this is why he passed on TX and Fl.

That being said, they had a long term transition plan and started working toward it and we obviously have little to no clue relative to executive development and/or transition plan. If we do, it would seem that executing that plan is a stretch.

It boils down to Alabama knowing its identity while Tennessee struggles to figure its out. I'm sure Alabama wants to improve academically too, but they devote a significant time and focus on athletics and it translates to success on the field which then equals more students, more money, etc. They realize they are a strong southern school and they are ok with that since they are also a national powerhouse.

Tennessee has been so focused on its journey to becoming a top 25 public institution that they have lost sight of our athletics. It's appalling how far Tennessee athletics have fallen. It's not as important or a focus to the current administration. It's all new classrooms and academia at Tennessee currently. Our administration needs to realize that we can improve academically and athletically. They need to realize the effects that a strong athletic department and programs will have on the University as a whole and how that will further help them accomplish their long term goals as well.

I'm running for office boys. Orange&White 2017.

Well I hate our incompetent administration. One of the greatest things about an intelligent person is they learn from their mistakes and improve. They quit making the same mistakes. However, it seems Tennessee is ran by a bunch of morons because we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and then scratch our heads and wonder why it did not work out.

I completely agree with what someone said above me. If we're so concerned with money, then quit allowing your DA athletic director to extend contracts to worthless coaches and give them multi-million buyouts. If you want success pay a little more and go get a proven winner. We're cheap and try to find a diamond in the rough and it always bites us in the butt. NO MORE! Go get the BEST! Paying more upfront is better than starting all over again and paying two people since one has an enormous buyout.

I only hope we have Blackburn or another stellar candidate hired and it's just being kept under wraps. But I doubt it. Lord help me.

Alot of people in Alabama are not happy about the way things are being ran either, but as long as the football team is winning nothing else matters. Tuition has gone through the roof and the school has focused more on out of state students to boost tuition after the state cut a bunch of money a few years ago. Out of state students outnumber in state students and its unaffordable for people in Alabama except the superrich.

It's honestly a laughing matter now. It's going to be hilarious when this entire process centers back onto the guy we've been calling for all along. At this point he may be the only one left who would accept the Tennessee job.

Alot of people in Alabama are not happy about the way things are being ran either, but as long as the football team is winning nothing else matters. Tuition has gone through the roof and the school has focused more on out of state students to boost tuition after the state cut a bunch of money a few years ago. Out of state students outnumber in state students and its unaffordable for people in Alabama except the superrich.

UT in-state tuition: $12,700
UA in-state tuition: $10,400

You were saying?

UA is $11,270 with a total COA of about $30,000. You shouldn't quote the first thing that pops up on Google. And he was right on the fact that UA is 53% out-of-state students.

I am genuinely confused as to how having a majority of students from out of state is a problem.

I am genuinely confused as to how having a majority of students from out of state is a problem.

I do not care about Alabama. I hope they have numerous problems. I was simply showing that the other poster was correct. I'm in the legal profession, I'm big on facts.

Anyways, let's get back on topic. Where's Blackburn?

I do not care about Alabama. I hope they have numerous problems. I was simply showing that the other poster was correct. I'm in the legal profession, I'm big on facts.

Anyways, let's get back on topic. Where's Blackburn?

You were showing that the other poster was correct, eh? About the cost of tuition at UA being out of control? Or the "only affordable for the super rich" part? My post stands on its merit; there is nothing in the cost of attendance that poses a disadvantage between UA and UT. In fact, it costs more to attend UT. PERIOD. Don't create false excuses. Bama continues to find ways to get it done, while UT fiddles. There's no way to spin it otherwise.

We agree on Blackburn.

Last edited:
You were showing that the other poster was correct, eh? About the cost of tuition at UA being out of control? Or the "only for the super rich" part? My post stands on its merit; there is nothing in the cost of attendance that poses a disadvantage between UA and UT. In fact, it costs more to attend UT. PERIOD. Don't create false excuses.

Why are you doing this? Lol he never said anything about UT versus UA. It simply mentioned that people in Alabama were angry at their administration too and those were two of the issues he listed. I simply was stating their correct tuition and the fact that out-of-state students do in fact outnumber in-state students. It's nothing personal or to start an argument, I'm just a facts guy. It's a habit.

Mentioning google may have made me sound like a smart elect, but it's because I did the same and almost quoted that number before checking the school's website. Lol yes we need Blackburn.

Last edited:
Why are you doing this? Lol he never said anything about UT versus UA. It simply mentioned that people in Alabama were angry at their administration too and those were two of the issues he listed. I simply was stating their correct tuition and the fact that out-of-state students do in fact outnumber in-state students. It's nothing personal or to start an argument, I'm just a facts guy. It's a habit.

He's doing what people always want to do: create an absolutely false narrative (Bama people are unhappy), based entirely upon an untruth (UA tuition is through the roof), and why would he need to do this in this thread, other than to deflect from reality? There are no holes to be poked in this deal...UT needs to get their crap together.

Reactions: 4 people
Reactions: 3 people
He's doing what people always want to do: create an absolutely false narrative (Bama people are unhappy), based entirely upon an untruth (UA tuition is through the roof), and why would he need to do this in this thread, other than to deflect from reality? There are no holes to be poked in this deal...UT needs to get their crap together.

Fair enough. And you're right, Tennessee needs to act soon and show the rest of the country that its not being ran by a bunch of idiots. I'll always love Tennessee and be proud of my University, but it's embarrassing. The Power T does not mean as much to people across the country as it once did. We have got to get our national reputation back!

VN Store

Back