Bill Battle steps down at Bama

Again, you continue to toss around a narrative that simply is not true. And not to make UT "look worse", but alternatively to subconsciously deflect from reality by creating a notion that the comparator somehow isn't everything they're cracked up to be.

The facts show that Bama's tuition increases have remained in-line with peers, and remains LOWER than that of UT. The success of athletics there doesn't hide the academic or enrollment growth as some ridiculously buried story...it has driven and enhanced it. Instate, out of state, who the hell cares? It's growth, and out of state only expands the wallet, as well as the brand. The idea that there's some groundswell of unrest by UA people is laughable.

Or, keep spinning it...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rs-are-standing-still/?utm_term=.99b89dff4a01

Yeah, you are exactly right, just out here spinning stuff. I missed the part where i said there was a groundswell of unrest amoung UA people and i also missed where i compared it to anything at the University of Tennessee, but thats really irrelevant, all that matter is what you said that i said. What i find funny is that everything is a big story and Tennessee and not at Alabama, im sure it has nothing to do with recent success of athletics, so i guess you are right there as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/18809665/tuition_increases_coming_to_un.amp

University of Alabama system proposes tuition increase at Tuscaloosa, Birmingham campuses | AL.com

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/410656/

Didnt mean to offend you.

Wow. Bama hires an AD before the job officially opens and Tennessee has been looking six months.

-Clay Travis

Sums it up pretty good. And, if recent reports are accurate, we may still be 3-4 months away from a hire, even though the best candidate is already in our University system an hour and a half away from campus.

Completely asinine comments - both of them. Bill Battle took a leave of absence last summer (he has multiple myeloma). AL has known for months that this was coming - it has nothing to do with being on the ball. TN on the other hand actually has a current AD - just one that a lot of people don't like. He has announced his retirement - for June 30, 2017; it's hardly a rush to replace him.

As to the "looking for six months" comment, there's a difference in looking over the possibilities and actually beginning the process. Who hasn't said something about thinking or looking for something - like a car - months before actually getting down to the business of looking for a new car.

Yeah, you are exactly right, just out here spinning stuff. I missed the part where i said there was a groundswell of unrest amoung UA people and i also missed where i compared it to anything at the University of Tennessee, but thats really irrelevant, all that matter is what you said that i said. What i find funny is that everything is a big story and Tennessee and not at Alabama, im sure it has nothing to do with recent success of athletics, so i guess you are right there as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/18809665/tuition_increases_coming_to_un.amp

University of Alabama system proposes tuition increase at Tuscaloosa, Birmingham campuses | AL.com

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/410656/

Didnt mean to offend you.

Your entire premise was an idea that Alabama people are upset over tuition, and that it had become unaffordable except for the in-state "super rich". One might infer the idea of a groundswell among the middle class, given such hyperbole.

Can you cite examples/links of these unhappy Bammers? (Oh ya...unreported)
Do you accept that UA in-state tuition AND tuition increases are on par with other Southern in-state flagships, including UT?
Hence, will you acknowledge that the entire notion is a product of your imagination, randomly dropped in this thread?

Last edited:
Completely asinine comments - both of them. Bill Battle took a leave of absence last summer (he has multiple myeloma). AL has known for months that this was coming - it has nothing to do with being on the ball. TN on the other hand actually has a current AD - just one that a lot of people don't like. He has announced his retirement - for June 30, 2017; it's hardly a rush to replace him.

As to the "looking for six months" comment, there's a difference in looking over the possibilities and actually beginning the process. Who hasn't said something about thinking or looking for something - like a car - months before actually getting down to the business of looking for a new car.
hart announced his retirement nearly a year before it happens. we had to hire a chancellor. both of these people are getting paid right now, and not doing a darn thing.

and the fact that you have people coming out and saying that, now, 4 months until Hart actually retires, NOW, it's time to hire a search firm and form a committee to find our new AD.

there's no reasonable or rational way you can describe this debacle as 'all has gone according to plan'.

meanwhile, Bama just plucked one of the candidates, w/out much more than a blink of an eye. and their AD situation, despite Battles situation, has not drawn nearly the ire, anxiety or attention regarding it's search and hiring that TN has.

this whole thing has been ridiculous, and we're so far away from spinning this to being "good" or "normal", it's not even funny.

think of it like this....we've known for the better part of a year that he was gone. so has Bama. Bama just went and got their guy.

we're just now forming committees and hiring search firms, and expect to take another 3-4 months.

Reactions: 1 person
I am genuinely confused as to how having a majority of students from out of state is a problem.

What would be the primary reason for building and funding state universities if not to educate your own? If it's become unaffordable to students within the state, that is a problem. If the issue is selecting "more qualified" students from out of state, that's either an indictment of your state primary and secondary education or an admission that you are under-funding a state university.

Of course, on the other hand, a few damn yankees have to admit that they could find decent education in the south.

Reactions: 2 people
The context of this changes IF you look at certain facts.

- Battle's contract with Alabama was set to expire in March of 2017. It had NOT been extended.
- Alabama hires new AD in January 2017.
- So their timing of a change is within a couple of months when they would have had to replace Battle.
- More than likely they had been "quietly" weighing options. Something that for some reason the media and fans of Tennessee will NOT let Tennessee do.

The media and fans associated with Tennessee are sometimes the university's worse enemy.

- Hart's contract with Tennessee ends June 30th, 2017.
- If they hire a new AD sometime in April, that aligns with Alabama's timeline.

The truth is Tennessee has an AD who is contracted through the end of June and is still performing the duties of an AD. A hire sometime in the March / April timeline makes most sense in terms of the necessary transition period from current AD to new AD.

The media and some fans on this board are making this into something bigger than it really should be.

Coach Jones has been able to hire coaches and I suspect there are protocols in place to assist with any approvals that are required. That is the way most companies work. They don't just stop doing business because someone is retiring.

Bama showing how it is done. No business in their right mind let's someone just hang around like Hart has done. You wanna go? Out the door you go. Maybe a brief transition period with your replacement, but you don't get to linger around the program like a dirty old gym sock and stink the place up for months on end.

Reactions: 2 people
The context of this changes IF you look at certain facts.

- Battle's contract with Alabama was set to expire in March of 2017. It had NOT been extended.
- Alabama hires new AD in January 2017.
- So their timing of a change is within a couple of months when they would have had to replace Battle.
- More than likely they had been "quietly" weighing options. Something that for some reason the media and fans of Tennessee will NOT let Tennessee do.

The media and fans associated with Tennessee are sometimes the university's worse enemy.

- Hart's contract with Tennessee ends June 30th, 2017.
- If they hire a new AD sometime in April, that aligns with Alabama's timeline.

The truth is Tennessee has an AD who is contracted through the end of June and is still performing the duties of an AD. A hire sometime in the March / April timeline makes most sense in terms of the necessary transition period from current AD to new AD.

The media and some fans on this board are making this into something bigger than it really should be.

Coach Jones has been able to hire coaches and I suspect there are protocols in place to assist with any approvals that are required. That is the way most companies work. They don't just stop doing business because someone is retiring.

Yep, but amazingly it's either all too complex for simple minds looking for bright shiny things or the negative crowd just want another hissy fit platform.

The true, fundamental issue here is that the power brokers are hesitant to relinquish the reins to anyone the believe could mitigate their control. The more challenging the times, the tighter they want to maintain their grip. Same as it ever was.

Your entire premise was an idea that Alabama people are upset over tuition, and that it had become unaffordable except for the in-state "super rich". One might infer the idea of a groundswell among the middle class, given such hyperbole.

Do you accept that UA in-state tuition AND tuition increases are on par with other Southern in-state flagships, including UT?
Hence, will you acknowledge that the entire notion is a product of your imagination, randomly dropped in this thread?

I cited 3 article, two of those cite people concerned about the rise in in state tuition rates and the focus on out of state student recruiting. But i guess that is still unreported in your book. I never made the comparision to the rate that of Tennessee or other schools tuition, you made that comparison.

...TN on the other hand actually has a current AD - just one that a lot of people don't like. He has announced his retirement - for June 30, 2017; it's hardly a rush to replace him...

Good Point. Probably not the best organizational process to announce a year ahead of time. However, unless there are head coaches on the hot seat, which obviously Jones was not in August, there really isn't an issue.

The timing of the retirement announcement sounds more political in the aftermath of the Title IX settlement.

Good Point. Probably not the best organizational process to announce a year ahead of time. However, unless there are head coaches on the hot seat, which obviously Jones was not in August, there really isn't an issue.

The timing of the retirement announcement sounds more political in the aftermath of the Title IX settlement.

I agree with you on the timing - always easier to show that you are moving in a "better" direction with a few scapegoats and sacrifices. I guess a yearlong lame duck or a sacrificial lamb just depends on timing and which part of the animal kingdom it seems better to placate.

Title IX advocates probably looked more troublesome than football "fans", but making public long running decision processes probably will be as messy as a presidential election, and in the end there will still be plenty of unhappy people. Maybe better to just play dictator and one day say the new AD is ... when no one knew the old one was going away - can't complain about being indecisive that way.

I cited 3 article, two of those cite people concerned about the rise in in state tuition rates and the focus on out of state student recruiting. But i guess that is still unreported in your book. I never made the comparision to the rate that of Tennessee or other schools tuition, you made that comparison.

Damnation, dude, you're still spinning. You cited 3 articles...one which simply reported a UA tuition increase (no op/ed), another which quoted the UA Vice Chancellor of Finance acknowledging that tuition increases create a burden on families (unique to UA? hardly), and a third which addressed the rising tuition costs across the nation, with the only mention of UA being it's out of state boom.

Where are these Alabama people who are angry? Where is the middle class dad who can't afford to send his daughter to UA because he's not "superrich"? Where is the quote by any consumer voicing their complaints about the issue you claim uniquely exists in AL?

You know why this is an issue with me? Because this is precisely the type of BS that leads to a 10 year losing streak to your biggest rival. Let's pretend that things aren't really as they are. Let's imagine scenarios about them that falsely close the gap. Let's spout untruths until they become relatively accepted and finally cloud situation after situation after situation...until you wake up and that streak has stretched to 15-20 years, because you were too busy convincing yourselves that they're not all that much better.

Last edited:
Agreed. I lived in NYC for several years and never met a single other TN grad. I now live in the San Francisco Bay area, and have never met one here either. I've met more Vandy grads (by far) working outside the state than TN.

Not sure what you are referencing. Virtually no one at Vandy is from Tennessee. It is like an Ivy league school, or Duke everyone there is from elsewhere. State schools were built to educate the states sons and daughters.

It's funny how Byrne was just a guy on TN's short list below Blackburn until Bama hired him. Now he's been elevated in the minds of the UT fans to the next Jeremy Foley.

Unfortunately, our beloved university has been run by incompetent idiots going on two decades now. I'm embarrassed by it as well, and I think they should Be ashamed of themselves, and not just for sports. But when it comes to sports, they just can't see the monetary and stature benefits that come when you actually look like you're trying to win instead of looking like some morons who have no business running any institution of higher learning scraping the bottom of the bargain bin with every move. It's shameful.

Well... There's ALWAYS next year..

Yes, colleges are big business, and few states are showing any regard for middle class...something mostly ignored in the POTUS election. In NJ, for example, in state tuition at Rutgers, which isn't a bad school, is $31K, and 30,000 seniors are leaving the state every year, to places like Bama and S. Carolina who are trying to become UNC/UVA's, and lesser degree UGA by aggressively targeting out of state high achievers. Everyone building these high end student condo's, which are really cool for kids to live in, but jacks up the price even more, w/ no regard for burden on families...I mean, what's wrong w/ the cinder block rooms we all lived in at Carrick? Seems UT isn't going down that path of chasing out of staters, and maybe is one reason in state a little higher than Bama?

VN Store

Back