Bigger bust, Stokes or Hopson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

Also, remember how awesome JaJuan Smith was when Lofton was on the court and then how his game suffered when Lofton was hurt for that stretch during their Jr season. It ain't easy going from being Robin to being Batman. An awful lot got dumped on Stokes' plate real fast. I think he can handle it, but there is going to be an adjustment period.

Solid

Disappointment that his numbers are not better is fine. But much of what is directed at Stokes is out of his control. Him only getting 8 combined shots in the Georgetown and Virginia games cannot be laid at his feet. Also, big guys get into foul trouble, it happens, and when it does their stats suffer. But this new belief that he is lazy or unconcerned, or somehow doesn't cheer loudly enough when he is on the bench just seems like a typical VolNation witch hunt.

Have you watched him on the bench?

Maybe him being down is because of his poor play, but he definitely isn't an emotional guy on the bench, maybe that's just his character. He just doesn't seem to be having fun, but like I said maybe he's down on himself and that's all it is.

Last edited:
Have you watched him on the bench?

Maybe him being down is because of his poor play, but he definitely isn't an emotional guy on the bench, maybe that's just his character. He just doesn't seem to be having fun, but like I said maybe he's down on himself and that's all it is.

The only real way to watch him on the bench is to be at the game watching Stokes sitting down instead of the action on the floor. Why would I be doing that? In the few highlights you can see him and the play, he claps with everyone else. Does he jump around like a Cheerleader? No. I don't see that he has to be "that guy".

The only real way to watch him on the bench is to be at the game watching Stokes sitting down instead of the action on the floor. Why would I be doing that? In the few highlights you can see him and the play, he claps with everyone else. Does he jump around like a Cheerleader? No. I don't see that he has to be "that guy".

I just pay attention to things like that, maybe it's just me. Last year he appeared much more into it, and appeared to be having more fun, this year not so much. Like I said maybe he's hard on himself and is upset with his play, that very well could be all it is.

Whatever it is I hope he gets things back on track, he's a great kid and has all the tools to be a 1st team all-sec.

Good night for Stokes, 18 points and 7 boards, still think he's leaving boards out there though.

Heck Jordan McRae had 8.

Good night for Stokes, 18 points and 7 boards, still think he's leaving boards out there though.

Heck Jordan McRae had 8.

I think maybe you are being to critical of Stokes. He fights for every rebound. In the second half there weren't really a lot of rebounds to get.

Reactions: 1 person
I think maybe you are being to critical of Stokes. He fights for every rebound. In the second half there weren't really a lot of rebounds to get.

I am critical, I've admitted this, but I don't see many reasons why McRae should get more boards than Stokes.

Other than point guard, playing with your back to the goal has the steepest learning curve from HS to college. You go from dominating both ends of the court to being guarded by one, two or sometimes even three people who are just as big and athletic as you are. Stokes has nice moves , touch with both hands, is smart (esp. for 19 yr. old) and works hard. His role HAS suddenly changed from Robin to Batman and that's not just an adjustment for him, but for the whole team. He'll be fine. If the Vols want to be fine as well, they are going to have to get more consistent production out of the 2 and 3.

Reactions: 1 person
I just pay attention to things like that, maybe it's just me. Last year he appeared much more into it, and appeared to be having more fun, this year not so much. Like I said maybe he's hard on himself and is upset with his play, that very well could be all it is.

Whatever it is I hope he gets things back on track, he's a great kid and has all the tools to be a 1st team all-sec.

I just don't think he's that type of guy to be the emotional leader. You can already tell how soft spoken he is by his interview. He'd rather go out and show you he can lead and I think that's where the not looking as excited on the bench comes in. At times he does look down but when you aren't used to the double teams and the traps being put on you, that can make you frustrated. I think he loves being on the team he just needs to adjust to adversity and handle it fully and still be able to impact the game in other ways.

Give Stokes a chance. He needs to grow up still. He has not played a full yr yet and has not had good players around him. Hopson a big bust.

I just don't think he's that type of guy to be the emotional leader. You can already tell how soft spoken he is by his interview. He'd rather go out and show you he can lead and I think that's where the not looking as excited on the bench comes in. At times he does look down but when you aren't used to the double teams and the traps being put on you, that can make you frustrated. I think he loves being on the team he just needs to adjust to adversity and handle it fully and still be able to impact the game in other ways.

Yea I'm thinking maybe he's just quiet and leads with his actions. He was up last night a lot on the bench, highfiving guys coming off the floor, just seemed upbeat. I think King pissed him off last night, but instead of saying a word Jarnell simply smiled and kept going at him harder and harder.

Even when the ref called a jump when the guy was hanging on stokes arm, not the ball, stokes just looked at the red like WTF...didn't say a word.

Not a terrible comparison, but at least Scotty was very likeable as a person and was never on the wrong sign of Johnny Law.

Man, I have the weirdest top 2 favorite Vols (keep I'm mind that I have only been following for about 4 years):

Tyler Smith
Scotty Hopson

Yea I'm thinking maybe he's just quiet and leads with his actions. He was up last night a lot on the bench, highfiving guys coming off the floor, just seemed upbeat. I think King pissed him off last night, but instead of saying a word Jarnell simply smiled and kept going at him harder and harder.

Even when the ref called a jump when the guy was hanging on stokes arm, not the ball, stokes just looked at the red like WTF...didn't say a word.

And I think every game we need somebody on our team to piss Stokes off and make him get aggressive. I think it will come. He needs a good game against a good team (I.e. Xavier and Memphis) especially Memphis it would put his confidence through the roof! Either way I'm behind stokes a 100 percent until the day he's not in orange anymore. Don't think he will leave being a bust at all.

And I think every game we need somebody on our team to piss Stokes off and make him get aggressive. I think it will come. He needs a good game against a good team (I.e. Xavier and Memphis) especially Memphis it would put his confidence through the roof! Either way I'm behind stokes a 100 percent until the day he's not in orange anymore. Don't think he will leave being a bust at all.

I've decided he's either gonna have a monster game against Memphis or a dud, well see, I hope it's the first.

Man, I have the weirdest top 2 favorite Vols (keep I'm mind that I have only been following for about 4 years):

Tyler Smith
Scotty Hopson

Both were good, not great. Smith was more of a jack of all trades, master of none. Hopson was a victim of fan expectations. He averaged nearly 18 points as a junior, yet was vilified by fans who expected him to be Ray Allen, Scottie Pippen, and D-Wade rolled into one. He was overrated out of high school, but we'd be a better team with him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back