Biden cancels 6billion in student debt

My issue with forgiving student loans is this.

1) Do the taxpayers end up footing the bill?

2) it does nothing to the address the issue of university becoming big business selling useless degrees to students that are told they need to have that piece of paper (Not saying all degrees are useless but many of not most are) those students graduate college and compete against people with high school diplomas for entry level positions. The return isn't worth the investment in many, maybe even most cases.

3) where in the hell is my break? I've paid taxes on to of taxes for years and due to inflation I've got less than I did 15-20 years ago. This seems like little more than a vote generation ploy. Bribing the young and not so street smart young people with others money.

It doesn't punish the people/entities responsible for the problem.

Deepen your consciousness, Brother, All is One.
Food, water, shelter...... These are needed. Which of these can/do you provide the farmer, the rancher? All a part of a whole for sure. But what is needed and what is luxury?

I take the opposite stance. If we had balanced books and no debt, it would be a lot harder to sell debt forgiveness in this manner vs what we have now.

Again, we are not going to be able to repay the $33-34 trillion we already have now... so WTF difference does it make if we top it off with another $1.5 trillion?

The U.S. national debt is rising by $1 trillion about every 100 days

So we could wipe out student loan debt for what we are adding to the debt every 100 days.

You people hate fellow Americans more than you hate the people that are running the country into the ground.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What's this "you people"? My stance is people have had enough of the wastefulness and dereliction of duty by the .gov with regard to fiscal policy. Then something like student debt forgiveness gets thrown in and the natural reaction isn't from a standpoint of NOT wanting to help other Americans, but one of fatigue from that dereliction of govt. responsibility in the first place. $6B compared to the National Debt is a drop in the bucket, point taken. The sentiment is the same whether we are talking about individuals or the .gov, and that is there is an expectation, or should be, for people, the .gov and others to live up to their agreed to obligations and responsibilities. If our debt was only $5T, we would likely hear almost no squealing at all wrt student debt forgiveness. As it is, the .gov piles more on the back of the taxpayers and the future generations, hence it's the fatigue of the taxpayers that know they or their kids and grandkids are going to get creamed in the future. You and I are actually in agreement on many of these issues.

Yes. I understand. Those that have paid are jealous of those who did not.
No, it's not jealousy. It's an expectation that it should be a fair system with everyone playing by the same rules and acting in accordance with the individual responsibilities that come with loan obligations and debt repayment.

Depends. Got a DPF on it that could trigger a forest fire, which could then be used as further proof of man made climate change?
I need more context on the "depends"... are you talkin' bout what china's new green deal joe needs when he is going to meet the Pope?

My issue with forgiving student loans is this.

1) Do the taxpayers end up footing the bill?

2) it does nothing to the address the issue of university becoming big business selling useless degrees to students that are told they need to have that piece of paper (Not saying all degrees are useless but many of not most are) those students graduate college and compete against people with high school diplomas for entry level positions. The return isn't worth the investment in many, maybe even most cases.

3) where in the hell is my break? I've paid taxes on to of taxes for years and due to inflation I've got less than I did 15-20 years ago. This seems like little more than a vote generation ploy. Bribing the young and not so street smart young people with others money.

It doesn't punish the people/entities responsible for the problem.
Point 2 is a good one. College is starting to resemble a pyramid scheme.

Reactions: Vol737
I don't understand the visceral hatred some of you have with student loan debt. It is just weird.

Just a few of bullet points:

These cancelations are more government interference.

It is picking winners and losers.

It is spending that was not voted on by congress.

It is a social program on steroids.

It is a political stunt.

The federal government debt is on life support.

It is not based on any sound logic. A person making 6 figures could have theirs cancelled while someone making a fraction might not.

It doesn't include a graduated vs not graduated criteria.

It absolve people of all responsibility.

It set's another horrible precedent in a country where we see lack of accountability attaching it tentacles everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
The problem with student debt forgiveness is it will become expected an entitlement and nothing will be fixed. The government will not get out of the student loan business and colleges will continue to raise tuition and fees.

I would argue that brick and mortar campuses are not even needed any more. Would save a fortune. I mentioned years ago, UTC built a tend of millions $ library and all the books were on rollers in basement. What a joke.

I would argue that brick and mortar campuses are not even needed any more. Would save a fortune. I mentioned years ago, UTC built a tend of millions $ library and all the books were on rollers in basement. What a joke.

The social interaction will always be needed. There is no way to control cheating and if that is the case then you might as well hand out diplomas in cracker jack boxes like they do with the adult programs.

The social interaction will always be needed. There is no way to control cheating and if that is the case then you might as well hand out diplomas in cracker jack boxes like they do with the adult programs.
you gotta go in massive debt for social interactions? As far as cheating, you could have a building to take tests.

you gotta go in massive debt for social interactions? As far as cheating, you could have a building to take tests.

It cost the same whether you are in person or not unless you're talking about room and board.

I like the state program where there is a free two year program at community colleges for the associate degrees.

Let's not get off track with crooked Joe canceling student debt.

The problem with student debt forgiveness is it will become expected an entitlement and nothing will be fixed. The government will not get out of the student loan business and colleges will continue to raise tuition and fees.
There can be no student debt forgiveness without an irreversible separation of the State from the Loan process.

You made the comparison not me. Also plenty of car and home loans get discharged while a student loan can't. Still trying to figure out how they're similar
I am all for allowing them to be bankrupted. That would be THE solution to all of this mess.

Straight up 'forgiveness' allows the person taking the loan to walk away scot free. There's a price to pay for bankruptcy, and that is the least that should be borne by the loanee

VN Store

Back