Better band: Allman Brothers or Lynryd Skynyrd?

Ill tangent off the comparison and say this: IMO, Duane Allman was the greatest guitarist of all time. Better than Hendrix, better than Clapton and yes better than Page(who I believe is #2.) Flame away.

Ill tangent off the comparison and say this: IMO, Duane Allman was the greatest guitarist of all time. Better than Hendrix, better than Clapton and yes better than Page(who I believe is #2.) Flame away.

I can agree with this. He is tops on my list too. But, it's a close #1 between him and Rory Gallagher.

Agree with Duane. Never saw the hype of Page. I also think Stevie Ray Vaughn is top two.

Agree with Duane. Never saw the hype of Page. I also think Stevie Ray Vaughn is top two.

Stevie Ray was definitely up there such a distinct sound. Mark Knopfler has that too. Listen to some of Zep's instrumental songs and you will get the Page hype.

ABB has 50 years of work. I'm a big fan of both but imo they're not even close.
Allman Brothers all day long

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Now, I'm a big ABB guy and a big fan of Widespread Panic but do you really think most don't know what a jam band is?

And since we're throwing out other bands, how bout some love for The Marshall freakin Tucker Band?

Cant forget Marshall Tucker Band. They are right up there with Skynyrd and Allman Brothers Band to me.

I can agree with this. He is tops on my list too. But, it's a close #1 between him and Rory Gallagher.
I like Rory too, but am a bigger fan of Gary Moore.

Edit: I meant to ask if you have ever seen the youtube video Rory Gallagher and Jack Bruce: Politician. Bruce was schooling Rory about the song before they went on stage. It's all improv on Bruce and Gallagher's part.

Gary Moore did some great single work, and also with Thin Lizzy and BBM. BBM was Baker, Bruce, and Moore. Basically BBM was Cream with Moore doing Clapton's part.

Last edited:
Just curious, are you actually from TN and about how old are you? Same question for Knucklehead...and please don't take what I'm about to say personally. It's about our society in general...

In 1977, I turned 11 in SETN. At that time, there was nothing vile about the confederate/rebel flag (there was Rebel Corner in Gatlinburg), we loved CDB's The South's Gonna Do It Again, and it wasn't a big deal (to anyone other than 11 y/o me) to hear my grandfather exclaim, "GotDang that n***** shore can run!" while watching Tony Dorsett and Pitt destroy the Dawgs in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm not saying that was right (I'll say it's wrong - other than the song)...but this revisionist history BS has got to stop. If a few grown men on an SEC team fan board can't discuss classic southern rock without someone having to point out that the confederate flag "was not considered unvile" and then someone else repeats it, we may have already lost, boys. The America's bad/apologist crowd may have gone viral and spread like like the plague that it is. We may never recover... and I'm not even a gun nut.

....It wasn't considered unvile.

You don't get it... and honestly that's okay.

Not a good comparison and John Lennon said "There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles."

So Elvis by default.

That doesn't make it Elvis by default. They could idolize him and still be better

One of the greatest albums ever recorded IMO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170606-172834.jpg
    Screenshot_20170606-172834.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
I like Rory too, but am a bigger fan of Gary Moore.

Edit: I meant to ask if you have ever seen the youtube video Rory Gallagher and Jack Bruce: Politician. Bruce was schooling Rory about the song before they went on stage. It's all improv on Bruce and Gallagher's part.

Gary Moore did some great single work, and also with Thin Lizzy and BBM. BBM was Baker, Bruce, and Moore. Basically BBM was Cream with Moore doing Clapton's part.

Yea man. One of my favorites. Rory was lost too soon.

Arguing which bands were better, which guitarists were better, who had the best musicians...... it's all rather absurd. Musicians tend to be influenced by other musicians, and everyone brings a different flavor to the party.

Arguing which bands were better, which guitarists were better, who had the best musicians...... it's all rather absurd. Musicians tend to be influenced by other musicians, and everyone brings a different flavor to the party.

We can at least all agree Nickleback is the worst, right? :)

VN Store

Back