Better band: Allman Brothers or Lynryd Skynyrd?

Both have some great songs. I imagine most folks don't actually know that ABB is a jam band...or what a jam band is for that matter.

Just for fun, I'll throw ARS in the conversation - certainly over Molly Hatchet. Champaign Jam, Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight, Georgia Rhythm, Imaginary Lover, So Into You, Large Time, and my favorite, The Ballad of Lois Malone...

I will give MH credit for really cool lyrics on FWD...almost prescient.

Both have some great songs. I imagine most folks don't actually know that ABB is a jam band...or what a jam band is for that matter.

Just for fun, I'll throw ARS in the conversation - certainly over Molly Hatchet. Champaign Jam, Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight, Georgia Rhythm, Imaginary Lover, So Into You, Large Time, and my favorite, The Ballad of Lois Malone...

Now, I'm a big ABB guy and a big fan of Widespread Panic but do you really think most don't know what a jam band is?

And since we're throwing out other bands, how bout some love for The Marshall freakin Tucker Band?

Reactions: 1 person
Are we talking about what bands we like better or which were/are consider the more influential/important bands.

Sounds like the LS devotees are arguing why they like LS better which is fine.

I do not like the Beatles or the Eagles. However both would be considered top bands of all time with the Beatles in the top 5 or #1.

I like tons of bands that would never crack the top 100 - more than most of the bands in the top 100 but that doesn't mean I don't recognize the greatness of bands I'm not particularly fond of.

On the other hand I must just be an elitist, snob.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of Skynyrd's best get very little radio time

On the Hunt, Railroad Song, Needle and Spoon, Saturday Night Special, Searching

Reactions: 3 people

same for every band from the 70s or 80s or 90s or 00s.

Saturday Night Special got plenty of airplay when it came out but that was a long time ago.

More context. One of my favorite bands is Cheap Trick. Call me a music snob elitist? Nothing is more blue collar than Rockford, IL the home of Cheap Trick.

Rick Nielsen (guitar) has been called one of the greatest guitar players of all time by Jeff Beck (who happens to be one of the greatest guitar players of all time). Robin Zander (vocals) is the man of a thousand voices and is one of the great rock vocalists of all time. Tom Petersson (bass) revolutionized rock bass and Bun E. Carlos was a booming drummer.

They have been together since the early 70s. Sir George Martin (of Beatles fame) produced their first album and believed them to be the American Beatles. They finally were inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame.

Still, I recognize that the ABB has a higher place in the rock pantheon than one of my most favorite bands. I like ABB; I love Cheap Trick but I know the score.

For your pleasure - the Kid Rock intro Cheap Trick to the HOF. A classic

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjZblze0NQ[/youtube]

And I'd add a few more to that list:

I Never Dreamed
One More Time
Need All My Friends
Roll Gypsy Roll
All I Can Do Is Write About It

Are we talking about what bands we like better or which were/are consider the more influential/important bands.

Sounds like the LS devotees are arguing why they like LS better which is fine.

I do not like the Beatles or the Eagles. However both would be considered top bands of all time with the Beatles in the top 5 or #1.

I like tons of bands that would never crack the top 100 - more than most of the bands in the top 100 but that doesn't mean I don't recognize the greatness of bands I'm not particularly fond of.

On the other hand I must just be an elitist, snob.

Yea I am not a big Eagles fan either. I knew you had good taste in music when you mentioned Noddy. Great singer.

There are some of us who like Panic/ABB/Dead/Phish.

Now, I'm a big ABB guy and a big fan of Widespread Panic but do you really think most don't know what a jam band is?

And since we're throwing out other bands, how bout some love for The Marshall freakin Tucker Band?

ABB closed out Riverbend 2006 and well over half the crowd (around me anyway) looked very confused as the songs went on for 15-20 minutes. Panic played it in 2014 and I bet 25% or more of the crowd were Panic fans and not typical local Riverbenders.

Do I really think most folks don't know what a jam band is?

Two questions and two statistics...

Have you listened to Top 40 radio?

How many jam band format FM radio stations do you have programmed on buttons on your car radio?

Yanni album sales: 25 million

Zamfir (claimed) album sales: 40 million (but the guy that did this site seems to have a problem with The Z-Man, lol: http://panflutejedi.com/zamfir-analysis.html.

So sadly, yeah, I bet most don't really know what jam bands are...other than "bands that jam."

Lynyrd Skynyrd was a well rehearsed act. Their triple guitar riffs were honed by practice, practice, practice. There wasn't a spontaneous lick in any of their shows. They were driven to provide attendees the same quality performance as their recordings. More than their contemporaries, Skynyrd was a business venture.

Reactions: CSVol and Danl
The people who have a problem with the symbology of the confederacy are primarily self loathing individuals who have projected anger over their own socioeconomic circumstances onto inanimate objects that have no bearing on the choices they made to wind up where they are. They give power to those flags and monuments with their fear and resentment. I didn't like seeing the monuments come down in NOLA but I understand that big city progressive mayors have to have black votes to win their elections and it's a lot easier to move a monument or change a street name than it is to fix the problems associated with multigenerational poverty.

More context. One of my favorite bands is Cheap Trick. Call me a music snob elitist? Nothing is more blue collar than Rockford, IL the home of Cheap Trick.

Rick Nielsen (guitar) has been called one of the greatest guitar players of all time by Jeff Beck (who happens to be one of the greatest guitar players of all time). Robin Zander (vocals) is the man of a thousand voices and is one of the great rock vocalists of all time. Tom Petersson (bass) revolutionized rock bass and Bun E. Carlos was a booming drummer.

They have been together since the early 70s. Sir George Martin (of Beatles fame) produced their first album and believed them to be the American Beatles. They finally were inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame.

Still, I recognize that the ABB has a higher place in the rock pantheon than one of my most favorite bands. I like ABB; I love Cheap Trick but I know the score.

For your pleasure - the Kid Rock intro Cheap Trick to the HOF. A classic

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjZblze0NQ[/youtube]

You may not be one of them, but most of the people who downgrade Skynyrd are IMO. I didn't mean it personally toward you, I apologize for offending you.

The people who have a problem with the symbology of the confederacy are primarily self loathing individuals who have projected anger over their own socioeconomic circumstances onto inanimate objects that have no bearing on the choices they made to wind up where they are. They give power to those flags and monuments with their fear and resentment. I didn't like seeing the monuments come down in NOLA but I understand that big city progressive mayors have to have black votes to win their elections and it's a lot easier to move a monument or change a street name than it is to fix the problems associated with multigenerational poverty.

Well said.

As someone stated earlier it wasn't considered "unvile" either.

Let's not get into a discussion on that dead relic of a flag. Let it die like it should.

Back to the music....

Just curious, are you actually from TN and about how old are you? Same question for Knucklehead...and please don't take what I'm about to say personally. It's about our society in general...

In 1977, I turned 11 in SETN. At that time, there was nothing vile about the confederate/rebel flag (there was Rebel Corner in Gatlinburg), we loved CDB's The South's Gonna Do It Again, and it wasn't a big deal (to anyone other than 11 y/o me) to hear my grandfather exclaim, "GotDang that n***** shore can run!" while watching Tony Dorsett and Pitt destroy the Dawgs in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm not saying that was right (I'll say it's wrong - other than the song)...but this revisionist history BS has got to stop. If a few grown men on an SEC team fan board can't discuss classic southern rock without someone having to point out that the confederate flag "was not considered unvile" and then someone else repeats it, we may have already lost, boys. The America's bad/apologist crowd may have gone viral and spread like like the plague that it is. We may never recover... and I'm not even a gun nut.

Reactions: 2 people
Just curious, are you actually from TN and about how old are you? Same question for Knucklehead...and please don't take what I'm about to say personally. It's about our society in general...

In 1977, I turned 11 in SETN. At that time, there was nothing vile about the confederate/rebel flag (there was Rebel Corner in Gatlinburg), we loved CDB's The South's Gonna Do It Again, and it wasn't a big deal (to anyone other than 11 y/o me) to hear my grandfather exclaim, "GotDang that n***** shore can run!" while watching Tony Dorsett and Pitt destroy the Dawgs in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm not saying that was right (I'll say it's wrong - other than the song)...but this revisionist history BS has got to stop. If a few grown men on an SEC team fan board can't discuss classic southern rock without someone having to point out that the confederate flag "was not considered unvile" and then someone else repeats it, we may have already lost, boys. The America's bad/apologist crowd may have gone viral and spread like like the plague that it is. We may never recover... and I'm not even a gun nut.

Late thirties and grew up in the Carolinas. Undergrad in Charleston where I majored in History, political science, and the one that doesn't fit, German.

I am pretty well versed in the subject of the flag. I was surrounded by it. While my political beliefs do lean on the liberal side I am not one of these to rewrite history. Do I think the flag should be preserved in a museum and the true story of the war be told? Absolutely. Do I believe in statues being taken down? Absolutely not. It's a part of history and a majority of those generals were not racist and some didn't even have slaves (let's be honest, the war was about much more than slavery.)

With that being said and without writing a book I get where you are coming from. There are many people who view the flag as harmless but there are many examples throughout the last one hundred years or less that show the bad apples waving that flag and saying or doing nasty, vile things.

As for the comment about Dorsett, I've had family members say those words as well and that doesn't make it right. Just because the group around thought it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it wasn't. The Caucasian race does not have a term as hurtful and in negative tone as the n word. If we did, maybe we would realize saying it is down right ****ty. To me it as almost as bad if not as bad as damn. I also think the flag was a marketing play by LS. Ronnie was a very liberal man, ya know.

That was a lot and I apologize but if we were actually speaking I feel we could have a very good conversation on the topic.

And.... ABB is still a better band but I really dig Billy Powell on the keys. One of my favorites.

It's so hard to compare because 1.) Both lost members way too young. 2.) Both experienced line up changes. I mean, who knows what TABB could've done if Duane had lived. Likewise with Skynyrd, the Street Survivors lineup with guitarist Steve Gaines was on a totally different level musically. Plus he was a great singer as demonstrated on the song "You Got That Right." Who knows what he and Ronnie could've accomplished had they lived and continued to create new music!

As it stands, they're both great and were pioneers of Southern Rock. It's like trying to compare The Beatles with Led Zeppelin.

As for my personal preference, Skynyrd has more songs in their catalogue that I like so I prefer them but both are tremendous bands.

And I'd add a few more to that list:

I Never Dreamed
One More Time
Need All My Friends
Roll Gypsy Roll
All I Can Do Is Write About It

Cry For The Bad Man is my absolute favorite Skynyrd tune. Not once have I ever heard it played on the radio. Aint No Good Life is bad ass as well! R.I.P. Steve Gaines! Man, what could've been!

It's so hard to compare because 1.) Both lost members way too young. 2.) Both experienced line up changes. I mean, who knows what TABB could've done if Duane had lived. Likewise with Skynyrd, the Street Survivors lineup with guitarist Steve Gaines was on a totally different level musically. Plus he was a great singer as demonstrated on the song "You Got That Right." Who knows what he and Ronnie could've accomplished had they lived and continued to create new music!

As it stands, they're both great and were pioneers of Southern Rock. It's like trying to compare The Beatles with Led Zeppelin.

As for my personal preference, Skynyrd has more songs in their catalogue that I like so I prefer them but both are tremendous bands.

Pretty spot on.

If either a Brothers or LS song comes up on the radio, or my queue on Spotify, I'm not changing it.

I am from Memphis and attended UTK. 44 yrs old and find this thread hysterical.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back