Better band: Allman Brothers or Lynryd Skynyrd?

Why can't you just love em both equally? Also..I loved Street Survivor.

Pretty much sums it up. The lyrics of RVZ trump the ABB. Those pretending Collins, Rossington and Powell weren't immensely talented just hate how overplayed Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama are. But Am I Losin, All I Can do is Write About It, Curtis Loew, Simple Man, Raiford, Gimme Back My Bullets, Needle, Tuesday, Was I Right or Wrong, and Roll Gypsy Roll cement LS's status not only as talented musicians, but of RVZ's amazing writing abilities.

I love the ABB and Melissa and Blue Sky are both in my top ten songs all time, but let's not take away LS's abilities just because they get too much hype for a couple of songs.

Reactions: 3 people
Whon is taking away? Both were great bands. Allmans were just on another level and were the godfathers for bands like LS. The lyrics were out of this world. That being said LS is a great band and the Allmans were a top 5/10 rock n roll band depending on preferences.

Reactions: 1 person
Allman Brothers but I love Skynard as well. I especially love singing FU Alabama along with Sweet Home Alabama

Reactions: 3 people
Using Spotify's monthly listeners as a proxy, it's 5.5 million for Skynyrd and 2.2 million for the ABB. However, that's the popular vote. The ABB might could take the electoral college.
That's the public talking that doesn't know squat about rock and roll. They probably all love Abba as well.

I like the Allman Brothers best. I think the cover of Dreams by Molly Hatchet is better than the original by ABB, though. Seems like a lot of love going out to led zeppelin in this thread. I just can't get past the plagiarism thing. Although probably the best thing that ever happened to Willie Dixon was lz stealing , there is a long line of artists that could also file suit. Interesting youtube videos on the subject were an eye opener. 'Taurus by Spirit is apparently where Stairway to Heaven came from, for example. There are like 4 long videos on you tube but I'll link one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zcuNUfdsI

Last edited:
I'm calling bull**** on the last sentence. Unless you're speaking of the tribute band that still tours under the LS brand.

No I'm talking about the prime LS.

It's not a diss. LS simply wasn't and won't be considered one of the top 50 rock bands of all time. ABB is in that grouping.

I get that you like them. No problem but just as people love Pearl Jam they aren't in the top tier either.

I love them both. It was a tragedy what happened to LS. No telling where they would be considered if that didn't happen. I think ABB probably takes it because of the quantity and diversity of what they've done. There really is no right or wrong answer as everyone's taste vary.

I love them both. It was a tragedy what happened to LS. No telling where they would be considered if that didn't happen. I think ABB probably takes it because of the quantity and diversity of what they've done. There really is no right or wrong answer as everyone's taste vary.

It was a tragedy what happened to Duane and Barry too.

Pretty much sums it up. The lyrics of RVZ trump the ABB. Those pretending Collins, Rossington and Powell weren't immensely talented just hate how overplayed Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama are. But Am I Losin, All I Can do is Write About It, Curtis Loew, Simple Man, Raiford, Gimme Back My Bullets, Needle, Tuesday, Was I Right or Wrong, and Roll Gypsy Roll cement LS's status not only as talented musicians, but of RVZ's amazing writing abilities.

I love the ABB and Melissa and Blue Sky are both in my top ten songs all time, but let's not take away LS's abilities just because they get too much hype for a couple of songs.

I haven't seen anybody say that the members of LSB weren't talented

Bunch of arrogant ABB snobs on here.

Two completely different sounds. ABB has more slide guitar, organ, long jams, and shades of jazz. LS has a more dynamic front man/band leader/writer, piano instead of organ, more guitar feedback, more frequent lead guitar hand offs, and more of a honky tonk sound. And Ronnie would have kicked Gregg's ass if they got into a fight.

Reactions: 1 person
Marshall Tucker, the Outlaws, the CDB. They're all very different.

It's really an abomination what has happened to Lynyrd Skynyrd. That band ended in October 1977 and I wonder how many younger folks know that.

Yes to your last sentence. After the crash it just wasn't the same to me. As for who is better,who knows? I personally prefer Skynyrd but also listen to ABB or any of the southern rock genre. Both bands are loved by millions so I really don't think there is a true answer just preference.

VN Store

Back