Best Eats on I-40

btw, whatever happened to the bbq thread that was stickied in the pub for my first year or so here? It should never have been brought down

So far for options, after research, I have:

Del's in Tucumcari, NM
Blue Sky in Amarillo, TX

Nothing yet for Albuquerque or Oklahoma City yet. What I'm going to do is write down different options on the way, and stop at a few for meals. I'll take pictures and have a trip report when I get to Knoxville.

technically route 66 is part of I40 through NM and Texas with a couple of slides that basically follow parallel to the insterstate

yeah, i know. i was thinking more along the lines at stopping off at some of the historic spots.

So far for options, after research, I have:

Del's in Tucumcari, NM
Blue Sky in Amarillo, TX

Nothing yet for Albuquerque or Oklahoma City yet. What I'm going to do is write down different options on the way, and stop at a few for meals. I'll take pictures and have a trip report when I get to Knoxville.

Check out the Diners, Drive In and Dives website
It's a show on Food Network, where the host profiles out of the way places

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: TV: Food Network

yeah, i know. i was thinking more along the lines at stopping off at some of the historic spots.

my bad. Stopping at some of those places is something I've always wanted to do. But to make it feel like more authentic, I think I'd need to be driving an American classic of some sort. My little Corolla just wouldn't seem right.

my bad. Stopping at some of those places is something I've always wanted to do. But to make it feel like more authentic, I think I'd need to be driving an American classic of some sort. My little Corolla just wouldn't seem right.

yeah, i don't think i could do it in my Mazda either.

Bread of Heaven in Alcoa has the best BBQ I've had in ET, you guys should check it out. Lunch only though. Motown records all day too, that's pretty cool.

They also have a small motel to stay in and wake up starving for that sawmill gravy and buttermilks
NVM...I am on my way there!
Don't know how long it's been since you ate there. They got new ownership about five years ago. The food is not the same IMO. Nowhere near as good as it once was. Also, I do not think the hotel rooms have been available for occupancy for a couple of decades.

I have found that the Loveless is a great place to direct visitors from the West Coast and the Northeast since people from those regions seem to all hold as truth the assumption that if something is overpriced and you have to stand in line for it it must be really good. The same goes for the Pancake Pantry.

edit: If you really want to see Vince Gill over breakfast you should go to Noshville in Green Hills. He's often sitting near the door eating oatmeal and he will talk to just about anyone if you stop and say hello.

Last edited:
Rick's Restaurant at the TR Truck Center at exit 412 in Dandridge has some pretty good food, plus they're open 24/7.

The Love's Truck Stop at the same exit has a 24/7 Subway.

I'll probably stop at that corner in Winslow and get a picture.

I did when I made the same drive (but can't find the damn picture :banghead2:). Enjoy it ViA as it's a good one but looooooooong. About the time I got to Oklahoma I was ready for it to be over.

Oh, and pack some good music :good!:

I've done this drive 3 times, but always with the significant other. So I plan to stop at cool recommendations I get.

May not help you when it comes to dining, but there is a strip club that has it's own interstate exit somewhere in Texas is memory serves correct.

VN Store

Back