Best Eats on I-40

LR has a great BBQ place not far from 40 called Whole Hog. Best I've had.

I'm assuming you're missing all the garbage like Texarkana the the fellas are talking about and taking 40 like you said.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

earlier this summer i had bbq at a teensie tiny little shack off the asheville hwy in knoxville called Smokehouse BBQ. It was delicious. Has anyone ever been there?

LR has a great BBQ place not far from 40 called Whole Hog. Best I've had.

I'm assuming you're missing all the garbage like Texarkana the the fellas are talking about and taking 40 like you said.

There's no good way to come through the south once you hit Oklahoma. Not trying to offend you BPV, but driving 40 through Arkansas isn't exactly a fun drive. But driving through Texas sucks extremely bad too, so I wouldn't detour from 40. It's sad when driving into Shreveport was reason to get excited.

There's a Marketplace Grill on the North side of 40 at the Easternmost exit in Conway. It has pretty solid food.

OK City has a lot of good eats on the Western (really Mustang, OK) side.

I think it closed, I just drove it too, but was sleeping (wife was driving)
There's a new IHOP off I-40 in Russellville, that we've stopped at a couple of times

DFV is right the picking's a pretty slim between Conway and Memphis (don't stop in West Memphis your only choice is a Perkins)

I had the same thoughts on Cracker Barrell, but scratched them after the trip in July when we stopped and it took an hour to get our food (with a 3.5 and 1.5 year old) that didn't help the trip out any

Last edited:
earlier this summer i had bbq at a teensie tiny little shack off the asheville hwy in knoxville called Smokehouse BBQ. It was delicious. Has anyone ever been there?
They're not bad at all. Backroom BBQ in the Old City is decent.

I've done this drive 3 times, but always with the significant other. So I plan to stop at cool recommendations I get.

Are you talking about Tom's at Getwell and Raines? Did you ever go to the original Leonards on Bellevue?
Yes, I think it's listed as a New Getwell address. Not sure. I remember going to a BBQ place in that area as a kid, just not sure if it was Leonard's.

Yes, I think it's listed as a New Getwell address. Not sure. I remember going to a BBQ place in that area as a kid, just not sure if it was Leonard's.
I think the only Leonards left is off of Mt. Moriah. Is that the one you referenced earlier? If so it's right off the Interstate 240 loop going around town.

I think the only Leonards left is off of Mt. Moriah. Is that the one you referenced earlier? If so it's right off the Interstate 240 loop going around town.
That sounds right. Looks like I'll be in town on December 22nd for the Memphis-Drexel and Grizzlies-Lakers doubleheader.

VN Store

Back