Battle of Bristol part 2

I tend to agree with those that say the views were barely acceptable. It's more about the vastness of the place than the game. I gave up my "two on the 50" to my kids, and I sat in a student seat. Through the magic of google earth, I superimposed Neyland onto Bristol. The tip of the red arrow is where I sat relative to Neyland.

I still had a good time, don't misunderstand, but it was a marathon of a day. I figured the Jumbotron would save me, however they really weren't good at showing replays. Instead they were scanning the crowd and putting fans and little kids on the screen.

Attachments

• neyland-vs-bristol.jpg
    neyland-vs-bristol.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: VolAllen
I thought they were allowed the same as Notre Dame?
No, I don't think they get the Notre Dame treatment. If they made the playoff, it would be as a true "at-large" team.

However, I think it is fair to put BYU into some sort of Notre Dame-like category...they aren't P5 technically but aren't exactly G5 either. When the SEC made that rule that you have to play a P5 OOC game every year, they allowed games against BYU to count towards that requirement.

Ah, that's what I was thinking.
When I was reading about that just now, it's really interesting that they also allow games against Army to count toward that rule. Navy in modern history has been the much better program, but they are in The American, and would not count toward the requirement. I presume Air Force wouldn't count either being in the MW.

Army clearly isn't as strong a program as ND or BYU, the other independent schools that count towards the rule, and they are weaker than at least one of the other two service academies, both of with are in a G5 conference and don't count towards the rule. What was the logic behind that?

No, I don't think they get the Notre Dame treatment. If they made the playoff, it would be as a true "at-large" team.

However, I think it is fair to put BYU into some sort of Notre Dame-like category...they aren't P5 technically but aren't exactly G5 either. When the SEC made that rule that you have to play a P5 OOC game every year, they allowed games against BYU to count towards that requirement.

Actually, I think the Notre Dame treatment is to be listed in the top 10 every year whether you suck or not.

Reactions: tbh and Yeiser10
no, the ND treatment is to keep your NBC deal all to yourself, whilst at the same time striking a deal with the ACC to participate in their bowl alignments, while only having to play 5 ACC teams and not share any of the money.

no, the ND treatment is to keep your NBC deal all to yourself, whilst at the same time striking a deal with the ACC to participate in their bowl alignments, while only having to play 5 ACC teams and not share any of the money.
They think their s**t don't stank.

oh, and they're a full participant in basket ball too. ND putting to rest that you can, in fact, have your cake and eat it too.

oh, and they're a full participant in basket ball too. ND putting to rest that you can, in fact, have your cake and eat it too.
Not a major sport, but they are a member of the Big 10 in men's ice hockey. I'm sure they have some sweetheart deal there too where they get money from the conference but don't have to participate in revenue sharing.

Just exactly how much longer can their national appeal continue? That's how they are able to keep having this deal with NBC. Save for one year (2012), they have not been a relevant program since the early 90s. That's an even longer stretch than a school like Tennessee, and the mere thought of Tennessee having its own TV deal with a network and "pick and choose" conference affiliations, while still being independent in football, is just laughable.

Not a major sport, but they are a member of the Big 10 in men's ice hockey. I'm sure they have some sweetheart deal there too where they get money from the conference but don't have to participate in revenue sharing.

Just exactly how much longer can their national appeal continue? That's how they are able to keep having this deal with NBC. Save for one year (2012), they have not been a relevant program since the early 90s. That's an even longer stretch than a school like Tennessee, and the mere thought of Tennessee having its own TV deal with a network and "pick and choose" conference affiliations, while still being independent in football, is just laughable.
sadly, i think it will continue until the P5 conferences form their own "league" and seperate themselves from the rest of the FBS G5 conferences. none of those schools have a shot at a national title, so at some point, there will be a shift. and it's probably a long ways off...cause even though the G5 conferences and the rest of FBS has not real shot a championships, the money is still good enough to basically not care.

so, i'd say ND is fine, unless they really start to suck...for a long time.

sadly, i think it will continue until the P5 conferences form their own "league" and seperate themselves from the rest of the FBS G5 conferences. none of those schools have a shot at a national title, so at some point, there will be a shift. and it's probably a long ways off...
It seemed like we were on the verge of going there just a few years ago when A&M/Mizzou joined the SEC, Nebraska joined the Big 10, etc., but the "superconference" train seemed to dissipate as quickly as it showed up.

There are structural issues that will keep it a recurring theme for a long time, but I agree, perhaps it will take much longer than it appeared it would take just a few years ago.

It seemed like we were on the verge of going there just a few years ago when A&M/Mizzou joined the SEC, Nebraska joined the Big 10, etc., but the "superconference" train seemed to dissipate as quickly as it showed up.

There are structural issues that will keep it a recurring theme for a long time, but I agree, perhaps it will take much longer than it appeared it would take just a few years ago.
yeah, too much money involved, to just exclude the other 70ish FBS/G5 teams. they wouldn't be able to sustain college football at the D1 level on their own.

The SEC’s policies on scheduling rhave allowed it to count as such, yes.

It also might also allowed all the other independent schools (or just the independent service academy - Army - to count as such).

The SEC’s policies on scheduling have allowed it to count in the same category as such, yes.

It also might also allowed either all the other independent schools or just the independent service academy (Army) to count as such. The announcement was a few years back, so I would have to find it again.

I would've liked a home and home with WVU. That would be a cool trip especially if the Steelers were in town the next day.

So would Tennessee. But they weren't interested in a home and home. They were interested in playing a neutral site game.

I understand the frustration of people, but scheduling actual games and series against legitimate opponents is a lot more difficult than you think it is. Hell, it's gotten difficult and expensive to schedule even the mid majors. It's even more difficult when the Pac 12, Big Ten and Big 12 are playing nine game conference schedules and the ACC has four teams with SEC permanent opponents on top of the scheduling agreement the conference has with Notre Dame. That doesn't leave a lot of room on schedules for the premier matchups people crave. And it's a lot easier and more profitable to fit a single neutral site game in a schedule cycle than a home-and-home.

So would Tennessee. But they weren't interested in a home and home. They were interested in playing a neutral site game.

I understand the frustration of people, but scheduling actual games and series against legitimate opponents is a lot more difficult than you think it is. Hell, it's gotten difficult and expensive to schedule even the mid majors. It's even more difficult when the Pac 12, Big Ten and Big 12 are playing nine game conference schedules and the ACC has four teams with SEC permanent opponents on top of the scheduling agreement the conference has with Notre Dame. That doesn't leave a lot of room on schedules for the premier matchups people crave. And it's a lot easier and more profitable to fit a single neutral site game in a schedule cycle than a home-and-home.

The 9 game conf. schedules does make it a bit more difficult. I get it from a financial standpoint where there's a guaranteed payout and limited expenses but it doesn't make for a great environment, IMO.

So we get ETSU instead of Clemson. Yet give thousands and thousands of dollars.

I didn’t realize you were so negatively impacted by UT giving another team money? It’s a W and that is what UT needs more than anything these days, including money or fans

I didn’t realize you were so negatively impacted by UT giving another team money? It’s a W and that is what UT needs more than anything these days, including money or fans

Read all the post. Don’t mind we play ETSU. Just play games like West Virgina at home instead of neutral. When you are giving thousands of dollars, it’s not very much to ask. I understand it can be difficult but we have some of the highest ticket cost in the nation.

Read all the post. Don’t mind we play ETSU. Just play games like West Virgina at home instead of neutral. When you are giving thousands of dollars, it’s not very much to ask. I understand it can be difficult but we have some of the highest ticket cost in the nation.

High ticket prices are what they are and they aren’t coming down anytime soon but the only way UT is going to get out of this pit of anus we are in is to start scheduling like we want to win. That means four cupcakes per year, playing a good team on the road does nothing for recruiting or our chances to make the playoffs. This isn’t 1990, we don’t need to travel the country looking for talent or gaining exposure. We have plenty of talent in the 4-5 states bordering Tennessee. We need to start winning again

High ticket prices are what they are and they aren’t coming down anytime soon but the only way UT is going to get out of this pit of anus we are in is to start scheduling like we want to win. That means four cupcakes per year, playing a good team on the road does nothing for recruiting or our chances to make the playoffs. This isn’t 1990, we don’t need to travel the country looking for talent or gaining exposure. We have plenty of talent in the 4-5 states bordering Tennessee. We need to start winning again

That’s fine but if you have a non cupcake you are playing regardless, then play it home and home and not neutral is all I am saying.

VN Store

Back