Battle of Bristol part 2

The game should not be played more than once per decade IMO.

Just bringing the needed Deb Downer balance here.

Reactions: tbh
My biggest complaint with all of this mess is that they’re taking away from the Knoxville economy. How about another home game? This is trash if you ask me, and has no benefit whatsoever.

Actually, it doesn't do that at all. Having a game at a neutral site replaces a game where you would have traveled to a non-conference opponent because you can't really schedule 8 home games.

Years where Tennessee has hosted 8 home games instead of the usual seven has resulted in fan fatigue and lower average attendance over the other games. There's a law of diminishing returns at play and even money-grubbing Dave Hart saw it wasn't wise to schedule 8 games at home.

Reactions: TrueOrange
Actually, it doesn't do that at all. Having a game at a neutral site replaces a game where you would have traveled to a non-conference opponent because you can't really schedule 8 home games.

Years where Tennessee has hosted 8 home games instead of the usual seven has resulted in fan fatigue and lower average attendance over the other games. There's a law of diminishing returns at play and even money-grubbing Dave Hart saw it wasn't wise to schedule 8 games at home.

So we get ETSU instead of Clemson. Yet give thousands and thousands of dollars.

Reactions: VolAllen

Lol well what he should have realized is that 6, 7, and 8 win seasons are what cause “fan fatigue”. It’s got nothing to do with people being tired of going to Neyland.

And you’re wrong about it not hurting the local economy. I’m not buying a room, going out to dinner a few times, shopping in the Vol shop, etc. I’m also not traveling 6 hours and doing the aforementioned to watch us play UTEP or ETSU. That means the one opportunity I get to go watch the Vols in Neyland in September is Florida, who we’ve beaten once in the last 14 years.

The same goes for this WVU game in Charlotte. Why not have a home and home?! It’s dumb.

Last edited:
Lol well what he should have realized is that 6, 7, and 8 win seasons are what cause “fan fatigue”. It’s got nothing to do with people being tired of going to Neyland.

And you’re wrong about it not hurting the local economy. I’m not buying a room, going out to dinner a few times, shopping in the Vol shop, etc. I’m also not traveling 6 hours and doing the aforementioned to watch us play UTEP or ETSU. That means the one opportunity I get to go watch the Vols in Neyland in September is Florida, who we’ve beaten once in the last 14 years.

The same goes for this WVU game in Charlotte. Why not have a home and home?! It’s dumb.

Considering Tennessee won 10 games one of those years, that's not correct. And it's not just at Tennessee. The "sweet spot" nationally is 7 home games, not 8.

How am I wrong about it not hurting the economy? How does a game in Bristol instead of Morgantown hurt the Knoxville economy? Again, no neutral site game has ever replaced a home game. Every one has replaced a spot that would have gone to a road game.

As far as WVU and a home-and-home, because of stadium size, West Virginia will clear more money from a single neutral site game than they would for both games of a home-and-home. So they were willing to play one game for a $3.5 million payout with no travel expenses (the event is paying those), but not two for a $2.5 million home game gate with all of the expenses that go with hosting a home game, then breaking even on a trip to Knoxville where the contract will pay for the travel. It's simple economics for them.

Considering Tennessee won 10 games one of those years, that's not correct. And it's not just at Tennessee. The "sweet spot" nationally is 7 home games, not 8.

How am I wrong about it not hurting the economy? How does a game in Bristol instead of Morgantown hurt the Knoxville economy? Again, no neutral site game has ever replaced a home game. Every one has replaced a spot that would have gone to a road game.

As far as WVU and a home-and-home, because of stadium size, West Virginia will clear more money from a single neutral site game than they would for both games of a home-and-home. So they were willing to play one game for a $3.5 million payout with no travel expenses (the event is paying those), but not two for a $2.5 million home game gate with all of the expenses that go with hosting a home game, then breaking even on a trip to Knoxville where the contract will pay for the travel. It's simple economics for them.

Which Dave Hart year did we win 10 games?

So we get ETSU instead of Clemson. Yet give thousands and thousands of dollars.

How do you figure that? UT is playing a 1-AA team every year anyway. ETSU doesn't replace Clemson or anyone else. If a home schedule of Florida, Alabama, Missouri and Kentucky isn't good enough for you then I'm not really sure what you're wanting.

Which Dave Hart year did we win 10 games?

We never played 8 home games under Dave Hart. That was my point. UT's internal research on the last three occasions that we did play 8 homes games, including 10 wins in 2003, showed the diminishing returns of 8 home dates. He scheduled neutral site games in 2015, 2016 and 2017 to avoid having 8.

We never played 8 home games under Dave Hart. That was my point. UT's internal research on the last three occasions that we did play 8 homes games, including 10 wins in 2003, showed the diminishing returns of 8 home dates. He scheduled neutral site games in 2015, 2016 and 2017 to avoid having 8.

In 2003, every game had over 100,000. Even the Vandy game, who we beat 48-0, had over 100k. And it's damn cold in November, so I can understand why a few stayed home.

In 2003, every game had over 100,000. Even the Vandy game, who we beat 48-0, had over 100k. And it's damn cold in November, so I can understand why a few stayed home.

Sure, in tickets "sold" which included 10,000 student tickets at the time that were always listed as sold even if they weren't picked up. Turnstile was under 90,000 for three of those games. And that was also an era when not every game was televised, two games were PPV.

In 2009 when Tennessee played 8 home games and excitement for the Kiffin era was at a rocket pace, UT only sold 100,000 tickets for 3 of the 8 games.

How do you figure that? UT is playing a 1-AA team every year anyway. ETSU doesn't replace Clemson or anyone else. If a home schedule of Florida, Alabama, Missouri and Kentucky isn't good enough for you then I'm not really sure what you're wanting.

How about a decent OOC game instead of etsu or Charlotte or Nevada. I know we play an1 aa school every year but where is a Notre Dame or Oklahoma.

Play Charlotte on a neutral site. No one would go but you wouldn’t have eight game fatigue. Lower donations or play an extra conference game or lower the highest donation levels of the SEC. But you AD guys don’t give two craps about the fans. Bama spends more but makes even more due to skyrocketing enrollment from out of state tuition students where we sit on ours or pay coach buyouts for crappy hires. I went to Neyland and saw us play some good OOC games but now you take your sec games and you should like it. You can tell you’ve worked and probably are still working in our AD.

Sure, in tickets "sold" which included 10,000 student tickets at the time that were always listed as sold even if they weren't picked up. Turnstile was under 90,000 for three of those games. And that was also an era when not every game was televised, two games were PPV.

In 2009 when Tennessee played 8 home games and excitement for the Kiffin era was at a rocket pace, UT only sold 100,000 tickets for 3 of the 8 games.

You aren’t selling that much this year and away game tickets are not being bought either.

How about a decent OOC game instead of etsu or Charlotte or Nevada. I know we play an1 aa school every year but where is a Notre Dame or Oklahoma.

I agree that watching games like ETSU, Charlotte, & Nevada are generally boring games but why would we willingly make our schedule tougher than it already is. Also those 3 games are generally good games for a lot of the backups to come in and get some experience.

I agree that watching games like ETSU, Charlotte, & Nevada are generally boring games but why would we willingly make our schedule tougher than it already is. Also those 3 games are generally good games for a lot of the backups to come in and get some experience.

Don’t make it tougher just play it at home. Would like to see West Virginia at home instead of neutral.

Don’t make it tougher just play it at home. Would like to see West Virginia at home instead of neutral.

I agree with what you’re saying. I think neutral site games are an absolute sham. I’d honestly rather play at the opponents place. It’s that much cooler when you win. Neutral site are like wannabe bowl games.

Reactions: JacketVol
I would've liked a home and home with WVU. That would be a cool trip especially if the Steelers were in town the next day.

VN Store

Back