Battle of Bristol part 2

So....I'm gonna say that this is a lot like an okay movie or an ex girlfriend....it was good at the time, but I don't wanna see it again. It was a neat concept, a great PR opportunity, and always cool to play someone like VT.

But....lets be real. Views at the game weren't amazing, and I'm not sure that people would flock to it like they did the last time. Last time had the pull of being the largest football game ever. Don't feel like it'd be as "new" this time. And then for us to make it seem like we won the NC and have confetti and a trophy and whatnot....I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one, I'm just not excited about the idea. To me, no where is a better location for a football game than Neyland.
The traffic leaving was insane. Was good to go once

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I'm good with it. Mostly because I missed the first one being in Alaska

meh. i think this is one of those games that's better as a one off. now it's just a money grab. no reason not to play in Neyland.

i'd rather do a home and home with CLemson, Michigan, Notre Dame or who ever they want to serve up as the opponent.

My biggest complaint with all of this mess is that they’re taking away from the Knoxville economy. How about another home game? This is trash if you ask me, and has no benefit whatsoever.

Financially speaking for the university this is extremely beneficial, in the last Battle of Bristol each team received about $4.5M versus if we had hosted VT at home we would have been paying them $1M+. I'm not a huge fan of neutral site either but as long as it's profitable the universities are going to keep going to them.

Forget Bristol. Schedule battles of (?) at various NFL stadiums. Or maybe stadiums that will feature bowl games that year/season.
Can you smell it? Vols vs. Iowa at Heinz Field. Vols vs. UNC at TIAA Bank Field. Vols vs. Texas at Arrowhead Stadium. Something along those lines.

It sounds like if they want to do it again, their target audience needs to be people who wanted to go to the first one but couldn't/didn't. Everyone in this thread who was there and everyone I know personally who was there has the exact same opinion of it: fun to go to once but wouldn't go back.

The single biggest reason I wouldn't do it again is because I went in having extremely low expectations for the sight lines, and they were still worse than I imagined. Driving to the stadium, physically getting through the gates into the stadium before kickoff, and the traffic situation after the game were also bad, much worse than after races, and I'm not quite sure why. We almost missed kickoff and we started walking towards the stadium from our tailgating spot over an hour before. That venue has a ton of experience with crowds that size but really struggled that night.

I'd go again in a heartbeat, I had a blast. Camped out and partied the whole time. Of course leaving a game like that when you're driving is gonna be awful, that's a hell of a lot of people.

My biggest complaint with all of this mess is that they’re taking away from the Knoxville economy. How about another home game? This is trash if you ask me, and has no benefit whatsoever.

It still helps the East Tennessee economy and we had one of our biggest tailgates with no less than 80 people. Everyone we were with had a great time. It does help to know some back roads up there so you don't sit in traffic for hours.

I didn't get to go the first time. So I wouldn't mind if they did it again. I might just setup a TV and watch from the tailgate though.

Let’s get this thing going and by 2021 and let’s play Clemson and beat the hell out of them for stealing our 5* Tee Higgins, Hunter Johnson, and Trevor Lawrence.

It’s a terrible idea that UT seems to fall for a lot. I love the fan mentality of “any time, place, or team”. It is nearly comical to think a team is going to play 3 top ten teams on a schedule vs Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia, not to mention UF and Ole Miss, with anything other than 2 losses at best. Let’s just throw in FSU and Ohio State for good measure that way we can really puff our chests out

Please no. Pretty much everybody I’ve ever heard who attended the first game all say the same thing.....glad they went to be there at an “historic event”....but it was a pain in the ass and they wouldn’t go again.

Also, we should play more games in Neyland imo and let those revenues to the local (Knoxville) economy. Fulmer has said as much, so I hope he holds firm and stops with all the neutral site games. Play in Neyland.
That’s the ones that got the $40-60 tickets. I didn’t have great seats considering they was at BMS but not that bad ether. We had best tailgating of my life and Gameday was there as well. Had a great time!3AC36AD7-A8FF-48E3-9975-BCD66AE5091C.jpeg89767D12-FAD6-4E0B-8D9D-4BB90D209B7F.jpeg89767D12-FAD6-4E0B-8D9D-4BB90D209B7F.jpeg

I bet there are 50,000 UT fans who loved it and will go again, and 50,000 other UT fans who didn't get to go, that will love it. The amount of publicity that this event drew to our university, plus the excellent at-home experience, and sheer awesomeness are enough for me to say we should do it again.

Plus, due to the travesty that taking tickets became, they couldn't officially count many of the people that did come, so we need another chance to break that record.

I know from a very very good source that Penn State was in talks with two schools (PITT and VT) recently to play a game at BMS. My source (on the PSU side) said that they were very close to a finalized deal. I'm not sure how much of a draw that would be for those schools fans to travel to TN for a game.

That game was great on TV last time and will be great on TV the next time. Would never attend a game in a stadium not intended for football.

Still trying to settle the opponent but talks with Clemson have been going on for a while. They are the 1st choice.

Thanks, I'm still undecided how I feel about it. It takes away from being such a record shattering once in a lifetime game if we play it every few years. Maybe if the opponent is difderent but even then, idk?

On the flip side it's a great recruiting tool, the experience is great other than the few complaints like viewing difficulty and traffic. Gameday will be there more than likely. It's cool as long as they don't wear it out.

Reactions: chargervol
I have to say I really enjoyed the last one. Traffic was bad, but similar to the races I've attended. Then again, I probably wouldn't be as lucky with the seats I got next time.

Everything about my experience there was phenomenal except for the traffic afterwards. They had something bad go wrong on that front as my buddy lives less than 10 miles from there and they directed traffic into Virginia. 3 hours to get to his house. First quarter wasn't worth a damn but aside from UF 2016 that was Butch's second best game IMO.

Everything about my experience there was phenomenal except for the traffic afterwards. They had something bad go wrong on that front as my buddy lives less than 10 miles from there and they directed traffic into Virginia. 3 hours to get to his house. First quarter wasn't worth a damn but aside from UF 2016 that was Butch's second best game IMO.
After game I knew it would be a cluster F but took my time walking back, watched about an hour on my dish network of ESPN, had a few beers and my wife took us back home that took us 30 minutes to get to Kingsport.

Reactions: volintheham
I don't see Clemson happening. No way Pruitt would sign off as that's a guaranteed tough game in what will likely be his make or break season here.

VN Store

Back