Baltimore question

Is Baltimore a dangerous and filthy place?

• Yes

Votes: 108 96.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
major hold up is always the government. unfortunately for Baltimore, not just the city government. the Corp of Engineers will be involved, and probably a dozen other agencies, but I am sure there will be plenty of political momentum to push it through.
My past dealings with the Corp of engineers was never good. They always gave the same timeline for reviewing any blueprints. It was they're allowed 6 months minimum for plan review and if they recommend any changes, which almost always happened, design had to make any/all changes and resubmit. 6 month timeline started all over again .

Reactions: tbh and LouderVol
There better still be memes about that BS decades from now. Good ole Corn Pop and his band of Dog Face Pony Soldiers.

Then Biden went and marched for Civil Rights on the way to sponsor 1991 crime bill that put black men in jail for decades for selling weed...or having a $20 crackrock in their pocket. That was really part of his plan to educate those poor Negroes while they were pulling 10year bids...so that when they got paroled they could " read and do math just like the white kids."

The garbage leftist MSM paints Trump as a racist despite the fact that Jesse, Al, and the NAACP literally put a medal around his neck for his contribution to black folks....

Meanwhile Biden is a well documented lifelong racist responsible for 10s of thousands of black men doing hundreds of thousands of extra years in prison over nonviolent drug offences...who has soundbytes galore of himself on camera saying and doing the most objectively racist crap a white politician could ever do...and that same media wants to paint the moron as a champion of black folks everywhere.

This kind of spin is why the majority of Americans do not trust a single word from the media anymore. They are blatantly FOS
Good one. There's also his opposition to school integration via bussing and his scare comments about a 'racial jungle'.

My past dealings with the Corp of engineers was never good. They always gave the same timeline for reviewing any blueprints. It was they're allowed 6 months minimum for plan review and if they recommend any changes, which almost always happened, design had to make any/all changes and resubmit. 6 month timeline started all over again .

I hate dealing with the COE. That is one agency eat up with bureaucracy.

Reactions: Vol since 77
yeah. I have only dealt with the twice. the first time I completely forgot about the project because of how long the review process was.

even trying to get a judgement from them about whether something was their jurisdiction or not took a couple months.

Has anyone else watched the video closely? A couple of things I found interesting..... Could be nothing, but I wanted to get the thoughts if those who might have more experience with large shops like these.

This ship looks like it takes a hard right and throttles up (based on the smoke from the stacks), then while throttled makes another correction to the left to better align with the bridge pier.

Based on that it would indicate an intentional act.

Am I missing something or reading into something that just isn't there?

Thinking out loud here, but I hope what they mean is the Fed will foot the bill to rebuild to expedite the return to norm while they go after the insurance carriers for reimbursement (partial or whole). Almost required to do this because the process of waiting for insurance settlement could easily take multiple years.

Thinking out loud here, but I hope what they mean is the Fed will foot the bill to rebuild to expedite the return to norm while they go after the insurance carriers for reimbursement (partial or whole). Almost required to do this because the process of waiting for insurance settlement could easily take multiple years.
I suppose they could fight this and say the vessel was under Harbor personnel at the helm. I bet the gov only gets tens of millions anyways as it was a 1972 model, and their Geico policy isnt a replacement cost.

Have you ever delt with maritime law? What very little I know about it seems it is a convoluted mess.
I think (based on the little I know) that we can ALL agree on that. Lawyers plus international law plus hundreds of seagoing jurisdictions plus misuse of flags of convenience equals a witch‘s brew of confusion

Reactions: McDad and hog88
Have you ever delt with maritime law? What very little I know about it seems it is a convoluted mess.

I have had one or two cases over the years in which maritime law applied. Thankfully, I did not have to file lawsuits and really dig into the mess that I found it to be. The limitations on liability, when dealing with an accident causing injury is fine when you are talking about large vessels with lots of cargo, but it can really be a mess when you are dealing with a 30k pontoon boat with only a cooler of natty light as cargo.

In this case you have 6 lives lost, but the real money is the bridge that got destroyed.

I suppose they could fight this and say the vessel was under Harbor personnel at the helm. I bet the gov only gets tens of millions anyways as it was a 1972 model, and their Geico policy isnt a replacement cost.
Oh, there will be a very long and expensive fight between the insurance company, the shipping company, the harbor staff, the tug operators, the government, and of course the lawyers.

I have had one or two cases over the years in which maritime law applied. Thankfully, I did not have to file lawsuits and really dig into the mess that I found it to be. The limitations on liability, when dealing with an accident causing injury is fine when you are talking about large vessels with lots of cargo, but it can really be a mess when you are dealing with a 30k pontoon boat with only a cooler of natty light as cargo.

In this case you have 6 lives lost, but the real money is the bridge that got destroyed.
Loss of business for the port will be devastating as well. Could also impact inflation and supply chain negativity too. It is one of the busiest East Coast ports isn’t it?
This is just a mess Top to bottom and it apparently all stems from a ship owner not keeping a ship in proper working order. Proving that in court, as you point out, will not be as straightforward as common sense would seem to dictate

Reactions: davethevol
Loss of business for the port will be devastating as well. Could also impact inflation and supply chain negativity too. It is one of the busiest East Coast ports isn’t it?
It will greatly affect US agriculture from what’s being reported. It’s where most of our fertilizer and gypsum are imported into this country.

Reactions: McDad

This will be a quick settlement because of the limitations of liability involved in maritime law.

Oh, there will be a very long and expensive fight between the insurance company, the shipping company, the harbor staff, the tug operators, the government, and of course the lawyers.

No, what will likely be done is that the coverage limits will be interpled by insurance company into federal court registry and the impacted parties will be left to fight over it. Insurance company and shipping company will be out.

Insurance company for harbor pilot will also likely be involved as their will be some finger pointing regarding the relative negligence of the parties.

quantify quick?

In general, if the injuries greatly exceed the policy limits insurance companies are quick to tender. For example, I have a motorcycle case in which my client was struck by a car running a red light and shattered her elbow and knee. The policy was only for 100k. The insurance company tendered the 100k in less than a week. The real fights are when the policy limits are really high and the injuries are pretty high but not clearly exceeding the policy.

In general, if the injuries greatly exceed the policy limits insurance companies are quick to tender. For example, I have a motorcycle case in which my client was struck by a car running a red light and shattered her elbow and knee. The policy was only for 100k. The insurance company tendered the 100k in less than a week. The real fights are when the policy limits are really high and the injuries are pretty high but not clearly exceeding the policy.
This is interesting. We have your real world experience against my belief bureaucracy will grind the money to a glacial pace.

How long for insurance to pay out?

VN Store

Back