Auriemma is SUCH a DOUCHE!!!!

No, Pat being sanctimonious and not continuing the UCONN series is melodramatic. I mean, what reason could there be to ever discontinue a game of such magnitude in that sport? Did he call her a lesbian behind her back? Did he insult her or her players in some way? Either way, you still need to settle that crap on the court and quit throwing around threats to anybody that doesn't kiss her a**. UCONN, then a threat to Duke... what next? If an SEC school does something she disagrees with, will she try to cancel a game in conference?

Why are you attempting to make a judgement when you have absolutely no idea what the reasons may be? Don't forget that Joan Cronan (sp?) had to sign off on it and she certainly isn't a PHS yes man (person?).

Why are you attempting to make a judgement when you have absolutely no idea what the reasons may be? Don't forget that Joan Cronan (sp?) had to sign off on it and she certainly isn't a PHS yes man (person?).

both basketball coaches have essentially 100% control over who they schedule.

There can be no reason under the sun to justify cancelling that game... compared to other situations in sports history.

You will not find a bigger UT fan than I am. You will not find a bigger Lady Vols fan than I am. However I emphatically disagree with Pat's decision to end regular season play against UConn based on such a minor ncaa infraction.

Like others have said, this almost smells like Pat was just looking for a reason to end this series. Her personal feelings toward Geno are well publicized. However like others have said, it's a great disservice to the league and to b-ball fans everywhere to end the only real women's NCAA b-ball rivalry in existence.

I think Pat should publicly discuss the rationale for discontinuing the series for the basic reason that many people believe that it really is just over a free tour of ESPN studios for Maya Moore which would seem petty to the casual observer.....Pat Summitt and the Tennessee coaching staff have been unnerved by some of Connecticut's recruiting practices they perceive as unethical, if not illegal over the course of several years. It is not just one thing but a series of things over and it all began with the recruitment of Ann Strother from Colorado back in the summer of 2001....The relationship between the two schools had been relatively amicable before then (Auriemma's childish snipes aside). Geno was the Head Coach of the USA National team in the summer of '01 when both Tennessee and Connecticut were hot on the trail of Strother and raised alot of eyebrows by not only putting Strother on the team but gave her ample playing time (nevermind that she was just a 17 year old high school senior to be at the time and not talented enough 7 years later to be on our Olympic team). This was perceived as a transparent attempt on the part of Auriemma to gain an advantage in her recruitment and sure enough she did sign with UConn in November of '01...Now, it was not illegal for Auriemma to abuse his position this way but it does allow you into his mindset....Tennessee also believes that Connecticut's athletic department has assisted Maya Moore's mother in getting a job that she was unqualified for....

There can be no reason under the sun to justify cancelling that game... compared to other situations in sports history.

Oh get off her already. Everyone in the world knows that Pat dislikes Geno because he's an ass. She probably didn't want to put up with him any more during the season, so used the first excuse he gave her to ditch the series with them. As far as Duke is concerned, she's still playing them, and at the time her comment that she "would consider" canceling the series was presented as a move to simply draw attention to herself rather than have the news report on her players.

Tennessee avoiding UCONN till the tournament doesn't hurt women's basketball. It may have been a marquee game, but only because of the relationship between Geno and Pat not because of the basketball. Rutgers and LSU were just as a good a match-up as UCONN this year, but they drew less attention because those coaches don't sit around taking pot shots at our coach and team. I don't blame Pat in the least for telling him to take a hike. She isn't dodging competition, she's dodging the headache that Geno brings with his media whoring and smart remarks. She is teaching him a lesson. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

You guys hate Geno for the same reason that people hate Barry Bonds, Tony Stewart, Randy Moss, Bill Belicheck, Tim Tebow, etc. They're all great at what they do. So everytime they say something border line out of control everyone is jumping on them. I'm not sure about what's went on behind the scenes but can some of you people admit that Geno has a winning record against Pat and is a great coach?

Oh get off her already. Everyone in the world knows that Pat dislikes Geno because he's an ass. She probably didn't want to put up with him any more during the season, so used the first excuse he gave her to ditch the series with them.

Those are your words... not mine. You called it exactly right... it was an excuse. And for what... because Geno is a a-hole? Yeah, that makes all the sense in the world. Instead of beating his brains out on the court, she chose to take her ball and go home. If anything, you would want to play the a-hole every chance you had just to prove a point. Could you imagine Bobby Knight, Steve Spurrier, or Bear Bryant backing down from a team just because the opposing coach is an a-hole?

I don't claim to know the whole story by any means but see my earlier post and it may give you some insight to the situation. If you can't understand the reasoning behind dropping the games with UCONN then there is nothing that will change your stance.

You guys hate Geno for the same reason that people hate Barry Bonds, Tony Stewart, Randy Moss, Bill Belicheck, Tim Tebow, etc. They're all great at what they do. So everytime they say something border line out of control everyone is jumping on them. I'm not sure about what's went on behind the scenes but can some of you people admit that Geno has a winning record against Pat and is a great coach?

He is a good coach, nobody can deny that. It is the way he runs his program and the shots he takes at athletes, coaching staff that Summit doesn't agree with. She has class, he doesn't. She runs a tight ship and Geno runs on the philosophy that the ends justify the means. What has come out in the media about Geno and his practices and tactics are just the tip of the iceberg. Pat has worked very hard to put womens basketball on the map, while going about it the right way. She has chosen not to validate Geno and his practices by canceling the series.

Those are your words... not mine. You called it exactly right... it was an excuse. And for what... because Geno is a a-hole? Yeah, that makes all the sense in the world. Instead of beating his brains out on the court, she chose to take her ball and go home. If anything, you would want to play the a-hole every chance you had just to prove a point. Could you imagine Bobby Knight, Steve Spurrier, or Bear Bryant backing down from a team just because the opposing coach is an a-hole?

You do not get the point. It is not because he is an ass. She is THE standard all womens coaches are measured against. She does her job well while being classy and playing under the standards set forth. She has chosen not to validate someone who does not hold those same standards.

You guys hate Geno for the same reason that people hate Barry Bonds, Tony Stewart, Randy Moss, Bill Belicheck, Tim Tebow, etc.

I never understand why some people think that being good at something is supposed to excuse being a jerk. I think most of us are enlightened enough to separate coaching/playing prowess from a personality disorder.

I don't claim to know the whole story by any means but see my earlier post and it may give you some insight to the situation. If you can't understand the reasoning behind dropping the games with UCONN then there is nothing that will change your stance.

I read that post and it seemed to suggest that Geno had made some comments behind her back or whatever (along with other issues), And even still... I can't see any other coach reputable coach cancelling a game based on personal issues with the opposing team. The most recent time I can think of is when Bobby Bowden canceled the home-home games with Auburn after they fired Terry. But I said "reputable" coaches, though...

I never understand why some people think that being good at something is supposed to excuse being a jerk. I think most of us are enlightened enough to separate coaching/playing prowess from a personality disorder.

And I guess I can't see the justification for not playing a game just because of the opposing is a jerk. I can see Joe Frazier backing out of the Thrilla in Manilla because Ali called him a gorilla. :ermm:

And I guess I can't see the justification for not playing a game just because of the opposing is a jerk. I can see Joe Frazier backing out of the Thrilla in Manilla because Ali called him a gorilla. :ermm:

If you can understand that then Pat's decision shouldn't be a problem for you.

You do not get the point. It is not because he is an ass. She is THE standard all womens coaches are measured against. She does her job well while being classy and playing under the standards set forth. She has chosen not to validate someone who does not hold those same standards.

I understand your point, but it is a very sanctimonious stance by Pat, imo. Even if she is the gold standard in women's basketball, my point is that you don't go around cancelling games with one of the 2-3 other teams in the country that even have a chance to compete for the NCAA women's title each year, and you don't go around threatening Duke with a cancellation if the students don't stop chanting at a player that shoplifted.

I find it fascinating that now that TN is in a rebuilding year all the UCONN fans are yelling and screaming for a rematch and accusing Coach Summit of all sorts of things. And of course most of this is being stirred up by the ESPN soap writers. And, Rasp, is that who you are?
REPUTABLE Pat Summit plays the toughest schedule of any team in the country. She plays most of the top 10 teams in the country, unlike UCONN who likes to beat up on little private school marms.
I think it would be wise for all intelligent Lady Vol fans to ignore all the dirt and filth that is being spewed on these response sites. Maybe we should follow in the tracks of our REPUTABLE coach, keep quiet, and let time provide the answers.

sarcasm... I assumed everybody knew that Ali and Frazier actually did fight in Manilla. :ermm:

Yes you would be correct. Most people do know that. But what you said was you could see it if he did. So i naturally concluded that what you typed was what you meant. How stupid of me!

I find it fascinating that now that TN is in a rebuilding year all the UCONN fans are yelling and screaming for a rematch and accusing Coach Summit of all sorts of things. And of course most of this is being stirred up by the ESPN soap writers. And, Rasp, is that who you are?
REPUTABLE Pat Summit plays the toughest schedule of any team in the country. She plays most of the top 10 teams in the country, unlike UCONN who likes to beat up on little private school marms.
I think it would be wise for all intelligent Lady Vol fans to ignore all the dirt and filth that is being spewed on these response sites. Maybe we should follow in the tracks of our REPUTABLE coach, keep quiet, and let time provide the answers.

Heck, there are only 2-3 teams she would have to play each year that actually have a chance each year of actually winning the NC... so it ain't that many teams to pick from. Sure, you might get your Michigan States and your Baylors popping up every now and then, but for the most part, it's been UT and UCONN involved in that conversation for the last 10-12 years. Don't make it like there is as much parity in women's basketball as there is in the men's game.

Geno's not in this business to make friends. He's in it to win. Last time I checked, recruiting allegations were just that. There has been no violations reported by the NCAA. So you guys are arguing over him about nothing because he hasn't cheated

Instead of beating his brains out on the court, she chose to take her ball and go home.

She beat him, two times in a row if I remember correctly, before telling him to shove off. I really don't see why you are defending this series so hard. I've already explained how it isn't the basketball that attracts the crowds, it's the circus sideshow with Geno. Pat didn't want to mess with that any more, beat him, got rid of him. Now he has to try and play in the tournament, and in the past two years he's failed to make it to the Vols in the final rounds. Pat is simply reminding him that the most powerful person in women's basketball is her, and that you should at least try and play nice if you want the publicity from playing Tennessee.

Geno's not in this business to make friends. He's in it to win. Last time I checked, recruiting allegations were just that. There has been no violations reported by the NCAA. So you guys are arguing over him about nothing because he hasn't cheated

Except, ESPN and everyone else in the world reported it as a secondary violation because it is. The NCAA was just satisfied with what UConn told them they did to rectify the situation. So, yeah, he cheated.

VN Store

Back