Auriemma is SUCH a DOUCHE!!!!

You will not find a bigger UT fan than I am. You will not find a bigger Lady Vols fan than I am. However I emphatically disagree with Pat's decision to end regular season play against UConn based on such a minor ncaa infraction.

How do you know this is the reason she stopped the series? She hasn't said why. This is just the only thing made public so far. Pat wasn't the only one voicing concern over Geno's recruiting practices. I'll put my faith in Pat and right now she's not talking and is probably not allowed to if there is an investigation going on. Time will tell.:popcorn:

Summitt has 8 championships. She's going to end up way north of 1000 wins. She is by far the most famous person associated with women's basketball in America. Geno needs that series a lot more than she does.

I think she just got sick of dealing with him. I don't see what the big deal is. If there was ever a sport in which the regular season doesn't matter AT ALL, it's women's college basketball.

The marquee game in WBB has changed quite a few times over the years but with one constant, the Lady Vols. Skipping a series with UConn will have no effect on the LV staying at the top or winning titles.

Never suggested it would hurt the LV's. I just thought it was petty of Summitt to go around throwing threats around to Duke and cancelling games against UCONN. Obviously, as long as Summitt is there, UT will always be one of the 3-4 teams every year that has a chance to compete for the women's title.

Summit canceling with UCONN will not hurt the Lady Vols only UCONN.
It also may hurt the game as a whole if the signature rivaly of the sport is cancelled. It's not just about the LV's... they will be in the hunt as long as Pat is there. But in terms of generating interest in the sport and air time, bad move for women's basketball.

Never suggested it would hurt the LV's. I just thought it was petty of Summitt to go around throwing threats around to Duke and cancelling games against UCONN. Obviously, as long as Summitt is there, UT will always be one of the 3-4 teams every year that has a chance to compete for the women's title.

Bravo, end of thread. Summitt is always going to be a top name in women's basketball coach. Some may hate Geno, but he's a legend as a coach as well. Some may disagree with his opinions, but you can't take away the fact that he's an incredible coach

I'd like to remind you that you called a meaningless regular-season series between UTK and UConn as "the most marquee game in women's basketball."

Meaningless in terms of what will happen in March... yes. Meaningless in terms of showcasing the two premiere teams in women's basketball, getting the sport some much needed hype/publicity, or drawing in casual viewers? no...

I am glad PS stood up for her player/players. It was completely low class to taunt Hornbuckle with a past mistake. And from Duke of all places. Really, the fans seem to be sinking to the level of TV 'wraslin matches.'
As for future matches between UT and UCONN, let them meet in the tournament. The excitement will be even greater about whether they will meet. And frankly, after reading some of the remarks re the article about Gino calling out PS, I would be afraid of the violence that would ensue after such a game. So why don't we all go take a shower and go back to being proud Tennessee fans!!!!! Let's stop giving ESPN what it wants.

I talked with a family member of Pat's yesterday evening. What we know about her reasons for the decision are just the tip of the iceberg. Geno has made comments in coaching circles about Pat and her staff as well as players that even media types will not take seriously and print. As far as the infractions go I got the impression from this family member that there is much more out there to be learned (maybe at a later time or maybe never, who knows). There are many former UCONN players that have no respect for Geno what so ever and have voiced concerns over the way he runs his program and the tactics he uses in recruiting and coaching. I will not claim to know more than I have told here, this close family member would not and could not say too much more about the situation. And for those who might question my source just look up Cheatham Co and check out her (Pat Summit) ties to the high school there.

Pat was more than willing to play UConn a couple of weeks ago in Tampa. Somehow that didn't happen and it wasn't because of Summit. Maybe that's why Geno is dragging all of this up again.

How do you know this is the reason she stopped the series? She hasn't said why. This is just the only thing made public so far. Pat wasn't the only one voicing concern over Geno's recruiting practices. I'll put my faith in Pat and right now she's not talking and is probably not allowed to if there is an investigation going on. Time will tell.:popcorn:

That's my point OM. This is the reason that has been made public but like I said in my post, it seems like Pat was just looking for an excuse not to play UConn. Her bitter feud with Geno has been well publicized for years. I suspect the infraction is not the REAL reason she ended the series but it was the only way she could end the series and it not look like it was for more personal reasons.

Weak excuse... very weak excuse to not play the most marquee game in women's basketball because of that. You would think they would want to do all they could to help promote the sport. Now Pat is up here cancelling this series and threatening Duke with ending the series there. The silliest idea I've ever heard of in sports... dodging competition.

the pat summit dodging competition comment is absolutely the dumbest comment that i have ever read on this board.

That's my point OM. This is the reason that has been made public but like I said in my post, it seems like Pat was just looking for an excuse not to play UConn. Her bitter feud with Geno has been well publicized for years. I suspect the infraction is not the REAL reason she ended the series but it was the only way she could end the series and it not look like it was for more personal reasons.

I think the ESPN thing is all that has come out so far. I think the recruiting practices of Geno are the major reasons she has dropped the series. We just don't know the full extent of any or all violations. I don't think she would have dropped the series otherwise. She always schedules the best out there. I may be wrong, but I think this is Pat's way of telling Geno enough is enough and if the NCAA won't do anything about the problem, she will.

I believe you are missing the point of what Pat says. She said to ask Geno. There is much more to this than any of us know, and because of legal issues among other reasons she can't and wont elaborate on them. Geno is playing a game with words because he is not sure exactly what Pat knows about his practices. You may not like her actions but if the things Geno does are borderline and do not garner real action against him she is taking the only real action she can. Not to mention she is taking the high road by not throwing fuel on the fire. She is simply telling the media to go ask Geno. It is not her fault he is a completely classless guy.

I believe you are missing the point of what Pat says. She said to ask Geno. There is much more to this than any of us know, and because of legal issues among other reasons she can't and wont elaborate on them. Geno is playing a game with words because he is not sure exactly what Pat knows about his practices. You may not like her actions but if the things Geno does are borderline and do not garner real action against him she is taking the only real action she can. Not to mention she is taking the high road by not throwing fuel on the fire. She is simply telling the media to go ask Geno. It is not her fault he is a completely classless guy.
What he said.:good!:

the pat summit dodging competition comment is absolutely the dumbest comment that i have ever read on this board.

There are only 2-3 other teams each year that have a legitimate chance of winning the women's national championship, and UCONN is one of them. And instead of settling your differences on the court, Pat chooses to not play one of the few games in women's basketball that even has a chance at attracting casual fans to watch it.

There are many instances where athletes competed against teams/individuals that rn counter to their ethics or were just disagreeable with the opponent on issues outside of sports. Instead of following the lead of these other competitors, Pat chose to run from the only other team that has consistently been their peer for a better part of a decade now.

There are many instances where athletes competed against teams/individuals that rn counter to their ethics or were just disagreeable with the opponent on issues outside of sports. Instead of following the lead of these other competitors, Pat chose to run from the only other team that has consistently been their peer for a better part of a decade now.

That has to be the most melodramatic load of crap that I've ever read. :birgits_giggle:

That has to be the most melodramatic load of crap that I've ever read. :birgits_giggle:

No, Pat being sanctimonious and not continuing the UCONN series is melodramatic. I mean, what reason could there be to ever discontinue a game of such magnitude in that sport? Did he call her a lesbian behind her back? Did he insult her or her players in some way? Either way, you still need to settle that crap on the court and quit throwing around threats to anybody that doesn't kiss her a**. UCONN, then a threat to Duke... what next? If an SEC school does something she disagrees with, will she try to cancel a game in conference?

VN Store

Back