Atlanta Braves II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts?

If there were such a thing as a meaningfully important hitting coach, by which I mean someone who has a measurable and consistent, year-to-year impact on the hitters on his team, then that guy would make at least five million dollars a year. Hitting coaches don't make anything. Therefore I conclude that hitting coaches don't make any significant difference at all.

Consider their counterpart, pitching coaches. At one point Leo Mazzone was regarded as a genius, the greatest assistant coach in the game. I remember reading an article about him which speculated about whether a pitching coach might actually be worthy of going into the HOF (!). And then he went to Baltimore, and there was no appreciable change in the pitching of either Baltimore or Atlanta. And now Mazzone's doing awful talk radio instead of coaching.

It doesn't matter who the manager is. It doesn't matter who the coaches are. The only things that matter are what Frank Wren does and how much money Liberty Media let him spend.

I won't go quite as far as to say that managers and coaches flat out don't matter . . . but I think anybody within radio distance of Atlanta can agree that the morning show on 680 is tortured radio at times. Leo is just not very good and Perry Laurentino is awful. The only thing worth listening for are the times when Leo says something and then laughs at himself way too hard and his partners sort of sit there for a second because as if they can't believe how awkward the moment is.

Last edited:
If there were such a thing as a meaningfully important hitting coach, by which I mean someone who has a measurable and consistent, year-to-year impact on the hitters on his team, then that guy would make at least five million dollars a year. Hitting coaches don't make anything. Therefore I conclude that hitting coaches don't make any significant difference at all.

Consider their counterpart, pitching coaches. At one point Leo Mazzone was regarded as a genius, the greatest assistant coach in the game. I remember reading an article about him which speculated about whether a pitching coach might actually be worthy of going into the HOF (!). And then he went to Baltimore, and there was no appreciable change in the pitching of either Baltimore or Atlanta. And now Mazzone's doing awful talk radio instead of coaching.

It doesn't matter who the manager is. It doesn't matter who the coaches are. The only things that matter are what Frank Wren does and how much money Liberty Media let him spend.

Generally spot on. After Charlie Lau, it's all been regurgitation, film and repetition.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Derrek Lee, Eric Hinske and Troy Glaus were among 142 players who filed for free agency as soon as World Series ended.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Wren is able to build next year's team. I believe he has done a nice job during his time as GM. I think with a few small pieces, we will definitely be in contention for the division again. It will be equally fun watching the Phillies progress as they will have to replace some very important pieces.

Thus far the Braves have dumped Cabrera and Saito, bought out Ankiel and Farnsworth, and picked up the options on Gonzalez and Infante. So far so good, but all the moves so far have been pretty much no-brainers.

Gonzalez is horrible. We resigned Proctor and also added Joe Mather. RH off the bench, corner OF and 1b. Maybe 3rd too. Proctor..yeah I have no explanation for that one.

Gonzalez is horrible. We resigned Proctor and also added Joe Mather. RH off the bench, corner OF and 1b. Maybe 3rd too. Proctor..yeah I have no explanation for that one.

He became my least favorite Brave in record time....

Not that he didn't make enough mistakes on his own, but Gonzalez was made to look worse by the triage unit the Braves called an infield. I expect him to look better next year. At least he isn't Yunel or a balding rookie...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thus far the Braves have dumped Cabrera and Saito, bought out Ankiel and Farnsworth, and picked up the options on Gonzalez and Infante. So far so good, but all the moves so far have been pretty much no-brainers.

IF we're not going to be contenders for Werth or Crawford, where are we going to find some pop? Especially for the 89 games Chipper will miss bc of an oblique injury.

IF we're not going to be contenders for Werth or Crawford, where are we going to find some pop? Especially for the 89 games Chipper will miss bc of an oblique injury.
The free agent class sucks once you get past Werth and Crawford, so it's either going to be trash heap guys like Andruw Jones, Pat Burrell and Jim Edmonds or they are going to have to swing a deal where they trade away pitching for something more legit.

Yea, if they don't get Weth or Crawford, Wren has to trade pitching. We have plenty in them minors that can land a solid bat.

Freddie Freeman could provide some good pop, but he will be a rookie so you never know.

Is there any good outfield prospects tearing it up in the minors? Just keep wondering when we are going to bring somebody up, but maybe no one is ready.

Is there any good outfield prospects tearing it up in the minors? Just keep wondering when we are going to bring somebody up, but maybe no one is ready.

No. There are very position players that have a chance to even reach the majors. It's something they really need to work on.

I really wish Schafer would've never gotten hurt, he had the tools to be a Rasmus-like player.

No. There are very position players that have a chance to even reach the majors. It's something they really need to work on.

I really wish Schafer would've never gotten hurt, he had the tools to be a Rasmus-like player.

He was using HGH his only good year

Plus he's right-handed, which would be perfect for the Braves. Take their pitching and add a 3-4-5 of Heyward-Braun-McCann (L-R-L) for the next three seasons and you are in freaking business. It would be pretty much the perfect acquisition.

Wren should start by offering them Jurrjens (Boras client) and Teheran and see where it goes from there. He almost literally could not give up too much to make this trade a bad one for Atlanta.

Looks like Braun has a no-trade clause, though, so I guess there's no sense getting too excited about it yet.

If you could somehow package Lowe and his deal without dealing Teheran, I'd say do it. Lowe's not worth his contract, but maybe Braun's contract would be more palatable after dropping Lowe's $60 mil.

From what I've read, Jair Jurrjens might be the most likely trade bait of the rotation. Medlen should be back later next season, hopefully. Dump Kawakami somewhere, anywhere.

SR - Lowe, Hudson, Hanson, Jurrjens, Minor/Beachy

I wouldn't mind dropping Moylan from the BP too. I hear he's a glue guy, but he's way too hittable...

BP - Dunn, O' Flaherty, Kimbrel, Venters, etc.

Last edited:
Brewers would be in complete rebuilding mode if they deal Braun. No way they'd want Lowe. They would want top prospects and young MLBers.

Teheran would almost certainly have to be part of any Braun package. And it would be worth it. There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back