Athlon top 15 returning SEC players: #6 Derek Barnett

Nkemdiche is projected to be a top 10 pick next year. Sorry but there is more to football than what you see on the stat sheet. Nkemdiche is a physical freak that was the key cog for the nation's #1 scoring defense last year.

Derek's great but being placed behind Nkemdiche is not slight. That is a helluva player.

Barnett draws extra attention too. The difference is, he still produces.

Reactions: 1 person
So, the top player in the country coming out of HighSchool 2 years ago should only be expected to produce 2 sacks and 6 tackles for loss per year because they "shade extra protection" to him. I understand him getting extra attention, but if he was half the player he's supposed to be, extra attention or not, he'd have posted a helluva lot more than 4 sacks and 12 TFLs in 2 seasons. Color me me not impressed to this point.

I get your point, but if KM makes a career of eating up multiple blockers allowing Barnett and company to run wild, I will take it and say KM had a tremendous run at UT.

Sometimes it's about the impact a player has on the game and not necessarily what shows up on the stat sheet.

KB knows his stuff. Unless it's about Pig Howard :p

Seriously though, he isn't a dummy.

I get your point, but if KM makes a career of eating up multiple blockers allowing Barnett and company to run wild, I will take it and say KM had a tremendous run at UT.

Sometimes it's about the impact a player has on the game and not necessarily what shows up on the stat sheet.

Maybe I'm looking at the guy wrong. But I don't see him as a dominant run defender. I see him as an underachieving pass rusher.

Maybe I'm looking at the guy wrong. But I don't see him as a dominant run defender. I see him as an underachieving pass rusher.

You may be right and I might be wrong. I see him as an attention getter that frees up others to make plays.

I feel like to garner attention one needs to make plays, and I've never seen that from him.
I understand that and your opinion is a valid one. My question is, if McKenzie has a similar career drawing double teams and players like Barnett take advantage of it setting records, do we call McKenzie's career a letdown or even a bust?

Fair points, but I gotta believe most would expect more than 1 sack every 6 games and a tackle for loss every other game from the #1 overall player in the country. I would expect THAT guy to get his too, in addition to taking double teams in order to free up his teammates for their production.

I know this comparison isn't too fair to Nkemdiche, but look at another similarly-sized DT thst once played in Neyland ..... and I'll compare his less productive first 2 years, not his monster 2 upperclassman years.....

Reggie White- 146 tackles, 10 sacks, 9 TFLs
Nkemdiche- 69 tackles, 4 sacks, 12 TFLs.

Fair points, but I gotta believe most would expect more than 1 sack every 6 games and a tackle for loss every other game from the #1 overall player in the country. I would expect THAT guy to get his too, in addition to taking double teams in order to free up his teammates for their production.

I know this comparison isn't too fair to Nkemdiche, but look at another similarly-sized DT thst once played in Neyland ..... and I'll compare his less productive first 2 years, not his monster 2 upperclassman years.....

Reggie White- 146 tackles, 10 sacks, 9 TFLs
Nkemdiche- 69 tackles, 4 sacks, 12 TFLs.

I don't know, maybe the OC designs plays to stay away from him? Besides, you are now comparing him to one of the greatest of all time. I don't necessarily completely disagree with you on this, I'm just attempting to offer a possible different angle. You are one of the better and well-informed posters on this site and I will not challenge that.

I understand that and your opinion is a valid one. My question is, if McKenzie has a similar career drawing double teams and players like Barnett take advantage of it setting records, do we call McKenzie's career a letdown or even a bust?

Honestly, if he has the exact numerical production after his Soph year as Nkemdiche now has, I'd he's been a disappointment. In my mind, a guy as highly rated (and talented) as both Nkemdiche and KMac had to do more that eat double teams without getting their fair share of TFLs and sacks. Certainly don't expect the same type production as a top flight DE, but they've gotta make their share of splash plays.

Consider that Jordan Williams and LB turned DE turned DT, playing inside for their first time in his life last year had the exact same number sacks (2) and TFLs (4) as Nkemdiche had last year.

I don't know, maybe the OC designs plays to stay away from him? Besides, you are now comparing him to one of the greatest of all time. I don't necessarily completely disagree with you on this, I'm just attempting to offer a possible different angle. You are one of the better and well-informed posters on this site and I will not challenge that.

Iirc, they move him all over the place along the d-line, from side to side. I am comparing him to Reggie and I admit it's not entirely fair. But I also think it's correct to say that Reggie didn't enter the SEC with the same type of fanfare and expectations that Nkemdiche did.

Btw, appreciate the kind words. Respect your posts....they're always grounded in reality.

Last edited:
Iirc, they move him all over the place along the d-line, from side to side. I am comparing him to Reggie and I admit it's not entirely fair. But I also think it's correct to say that Reggie didn't enter the SEC with the same type of fanfare and expectations that Nkemdiche did.

Valid points and once again, I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong. I really do see your side of this debate.

Who is Jeremy Johnson?? Look I know who he is but starting 1 game and playing cleanup 4 games doesn't mean you should get top 15 SEC players, system game plan will help him be a better QB but he is not Nick Marshall.

Jeremy Johnson 28 -37 436-yards 75.7-Comp % 11.78yrds per pass 3-touchdown 0-intersections 201.4- rating

I really don't know who he is. ??? :question:

So, the top player in the country coming out of HighSchool 2 years ago should only be expected to produce 2 sacks and 6 tackles for loss per year because they "shade extra protection" to him. I understand him getting extra attention, but if he was half the player he's supposed to be, extra attention or not, he'd have posted a helluva lot more than 4 sacks and 12 TFLs in 2 seasons. Color me me not impressed to this point.

what about projected top 10 pick does not impress you? if this guy was not doing his job right, NFL teams wouldn't be clamoring for him.

what about projected top 10 pick does not impress you? if this guy was not doing his job right, NFL teams wouldn't be clamoring for him.

We'll just disagree then. If you're good with 1 sack every 6 games and a tackle for loss every other game then good on ya. Not me....not for a former #1 recruit in the nation.

As far as the NFL, perhaps they're looking at his physical measurables and potential cause they're sure as hell not looking at his game production.....if they were, Jordan Williams would project as a top 10 pick...same position, approximately the same size, definitely the same exact production.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back