Atheist Speakers Assaulted at Hawaii State Capital for Objecting to Senate Prayer

saying a prayer in the senate is not slamming religion down anyone's throat.

so i wish you a merry Christmas, does that mean i'm forcing religion down your throat?:no:

would you be just as happy with it if it was a Muslim prayer? No objection whatsoever?

lets compare the number of muslims that have strapped bombs on themselve to kill non muslims vs Christians who have strapped bombs on themselve to kill muslims.

I'm referring to the radical muslims. even the most radical Christians do not strap bombs to kill non-Christians.

and as I've said before, why do that when you've got artillery and jets?

so i wish you a merry Christmas, does that mean i'm forcing religion down your throat?:no:

what's your definition of slamming religion down your throat? saying merry xmas takes 2 seconds and has become basically nonsecular (i assume you have a xmas tree right? do you think that has anything to do with jesus?). wasting a minute of my time every meeting with your religion seems like an imposition. i wouldn't waste my time protesting such a thing, but i certainly understand why they are offended.

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Joe on this lone statement. I had a Jewish friend say happy Honikkah(sp?) the other day. I took it as a friendly greeting not as forcing his religion on me. Once again let me say, as long as it is peaceful and legal, I support anyone's right to believe what they want. I just choose to be a Christian. A little respect regardless of beliefs goes a long way. BTW I do NOT condone violence by ANY beliefs towards someone of differing beliefs.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

what's your definition of slamming religion down your throat? saying merry xmas takes 2 seconds and has become basically secular (i assume you have a xmas tree right? do you think that has anything to do with jesus?). wasting a minute of my time every meeting with your religion seems like an imposition. i wouldn't waste my time protesting such a thing, but i certainly understand why they are offended.

/pedant

a greeting is not the same as a prayer. to equate the two is ludicrous.

Absolutely correct.

This.

I was completely fine being Agnostic until I started falling on hard times. People then came out of the woodwork to tell me I need god in my life and looking towards him will answer all of my questions and solve my problems. When I told them I didn't believe in god, they brought me literature and bibles, told me I couldn't live without god in my life. I then caught these same people attacking my gay friend. That was the last straw.

Not every Christian is like this, just like not every Muslim is an extremist. However, if you wear your religion on your sleeve and try to tell me how to live, then you open yourself to criticism. Keep it to yourself and I won't have a problem.

1. They were wrong in attacking your friend.

2. This is what a lot of this is about. America allows me to be a christian openly, if I choose. America also allows you not to be, if that is your choice.

The Bible teaches to "spread the gospel". So being approached should not surprise many that understand it, even if they don't believe. But where it stops, is with your decision.

The separation is where do you take it. Some take it to the extent of exterminating the "non" believers, some intimidation and or assault. These are wrong and never should be practiced or condoned by a christian.

This.

I was completely fine being Agnostic until I started falling on hard times. People then came out of the woodwork to tell me I need god in my life and looking towards him will answer all of my questions and solve my problems. When I told them I didn't believe in god, they brought me literature and bibles, told me I couldn't live without god in my life. I then caught these same people attacking my gay friend. That was the last straw.

Not every Christian is like this, just like not every Muslim is an extremist. However, if you wear your religion on your sleeve and try to tell me how to live, then you open yourself to criticism. Keep it to yourself and I won't have a problem.

I understand you completely. I do not condone the venom spewed towards gays by many Christians. I don't necessarily agree with their lifestyle or say that I understand it. I also think that one can be born that way. I have a cousin who is gay. Before we had any knowledge of sexual context, he was always interested in feminine things. This was at 4-5 years old.
You shouldnt have been treated this way. I don't have all the answers and I have more than my share of problems. Being a Christian doesn't give one all the answers or make them immune to problems.
I live by the belief that 'you catch more 'flies' with honey than vinegar'. They way one lives their lives is the best/worst example a Christian can give. Never been a fan of trying to force feed religion on someone.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

How do these guys get assaulted, yet no one beats the ever living crap out the the Westboro yahoos at veterans funerals?

Interesting twist on this.

Florida has announced that it is banning toll booth operators from decorating their booths for the holidays. Why?

Because Christians protested the Halloween decorations!

Christmas decorations banned at Florida's Turnpike toll booths - Orlando Sentinel

I can't believe those Christians with so much time on their hands that they are protesting Halloween decorations and ruining it for the rest of us!

(Side note of perhaps even more interest. Fox is running a story about it, but they are not including the part about why the ban is being put in place. They intentionally edit that part out to make it seem as though it is an attack on Christians, when in reality the far right is to blame for it. Florida Bans Toll Booth Christmas Decorations - War On Christmas - Fox Nation

Fox News Radio does report that angle, but only after doubly making it seem like this is an attack on Christianity. No Silver Bells at Toll Booth FOX News Radio

More manipulation of the news, selective editing with the intent to deceive and rile people up, by your trusted friends at Fox. Idiots)

The Bible teaches to "spread the gospel". So being approached should not surprise many that understand it, even if they don't believe. But where it stops, is with your decision.

and this is precisely why our athiest friends are doing us a favor. the need to spread the gospel could easily be interpreted as spreading the gospel in our schools or any other mutliple areas which negatively impact nonbelievers lives.

Don't taze me bro!

after watching the video, I get the impression that the guy went looking for a confrontation.

Don't taze me bro!

after watching the video, I get the impression that the guy went looking for a confrontation.

I have no doubt about that. Like I said, every side has their crazies. My point was more about what I quoted in the OP than the video.

and this is precisely why our athiest friends are doing us a favor. the need to spread the gospel could easily be interpreted as spreading the gospel in our schools or any other mutliple areas which negatively impact nonbelievers lives.

As much as you would disagree, you can't mandate christianity. Period.

As I've stated before, with the vast groups of people that live in this country everyone is gonna fight for "their" rights as they see them. That goes past christians.

I think the point is more that you have people that don't want to hear "God", "Religion", "Jesus", and so forth. Not that you are being targeted/attacked or forced to believe something, cause it doesn't work that way.

Couldn't agree more. Yet another reason for the immediate privatization of all schools - to prevent kids from the proselytization of others (regardless as to whatever "side" it originates or benefits).

Might actually improve the quality of the education received, too, but that's debateable.

i hate being bored to death. and wasting my time. most prayers go on a lot longer than greetings. a moment of silence i could deal with.

Is that really the root of it? Most public prayers that I have witnessed typically last in the 1 to 2 min range.

Not sure I buy that D.

i hate being bored to death. and wasting my time. most prayers go on a lot longer than greetings. a moment of silence i could deal with.

Great, so all speakers should be banned from telling lame jokes, rambling about nothing, speaking of things somebody might find boring...etc? Got it, thanks

So a prayer really isn't offensive at all? Just a waste of your time?

(Side note of perhaps even more interest. Fox is running a story about it, but they are not including the part about why the ban is being put in place. They intentionally edit that part out to make it seem as though it is an attack on Christians, when in reality the far right is to blame for it. Florida Bans Toll Booth Christmas Decorations - War On Christmas - Fox Nation

Fox News Radio does report that angle, but only after doubly making it seem like this is an attack on Christianity. No Silver Bells at Toll Booth FOX News Radio

More manipulation of the news, selective editing with the intent to deceive and rile people up, by your trusted friends at Fox. Idiots)

actually it says "Read the full story at Fox News Radio" which indicates it's a teaser. When you click it fully explains why they are doing it. Outrage not found (and neither is the "even more interest" you promised)

a simple question.........what does a prayer performed by the senate have to do with this guy?

Is that really the root of it? Most public prayers that I have witnessed typically last in the 1 to 2 min range.

Not sure I buy that D.

1 to 2 minutes i'll never have back. i'm sure you wouldn't apprecate a 1 to 2 minute lecture EVERY MEETING about gay rights.

Great, so all speakers should be banned from telling lame jokes, rambling about nothing, speaking of things somebody might find boring...etc? Got it, thanks

So a prayer really isn't offensive at all? Just a waste of your time?

there isn't a mandated time for lame jokes. i don't find prayer offensive in general unless it's too condesending.

VN Store

Back