Article: Why the Cleveland Browns are a perfect fit for Josh Dobbs

1. There are a LOT of examples of NFL players (QBs especially) who really needed a year to adjust before being able to play to their potential. Also a lot of examples of guys who were rushed into playing time too early, developed bad habits/never fixed ones from college, and never seemed to live to their potential or took too long to get there.

2. If he's transcendent enough to come in and start for any team in the NFL immediately and be ROY, then we'd probably have seen more games from him against top opponents in 2015 and 2016 where he took over games.

The best outcome for Dobbs would be the same as Dak, IMO. To come in behind a team with an established starter who's getting a little long in the tooth.

Did you miss Florida 2015, Georgia 2015, and Florida 2016? All games against top opponents where he took over the game and put the team on his back.

If not for Butch Jones holding him back and waiting until he was down 21 points to let Dobbs loose he would have had more performances like those.

Butch Jones will be to Josh Dobbs what Dean Smith was to Michael Jordan. Remember Michael Jordan never averaged more than 19ppg in college. The old saying was that Dean Smith was the only guy on earth who could stop Michael from scoring 20 points.

Well Butch Jones will be known as the only guy who could keep Josh Dobbs from dominating every football game.

If you missed it, coach Jackson spoke about the combine today. He outlined exactly what he wanted in a QB. What traits, skill sets Hue Jackson looks for in top QB prospects

In addition he stressed that He likes a bigger QB that is at least 6'2 and it has become obvious he would rather work with a traditional pocket passer. The consensus is that The Browns are looking at the QB from North Carolina.. and it's been the consensus... that could just be the draft game though.

Hue Jackson sought out RG3 last year and passed on drafting Carson Wentz at #2 overall. So this idea that he prefers pocket passers is just that. An idea.

This is obviously a smokescreen by the Browns. They wouldn't telegraph which QB they prefer this early in the process.

Should have kept last years pick and took Wentz

How come?

Wentz was terrible as a rookie. Never seen a guy get more overrated after a bad rookie reason than Carson Wentz. The guy was absolutely terrible after the first month of the season.

I guess this just shows first impressions matter. Cause he looked so good early on people assume he's good. When in reality he was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL last year.

You said you didn't study Prescott, thus justifying your criticism of the Cowboys for drafting him. How are you able to make this comparison?

I'm comparing NFL Dak to my projection of what I believe Dobbs will be in the NFL.

Dobbs pro ceiling is way higher than Dak because he's more talented. Dobbs is taller, more athletic, and had a bigger arm. And unlike many other guys with stellar physical tools, Dobbs has the intangibles to maximize those physical tools. He's incredibly intelligent, insanely competitiveness, and has a relentless work ethic.

We're dealing with a special player here. Athletes like Josh Dobbs don't come around too often.

WTH ? So Dobbs can turn around the Browns ? So after all these years of sucking and all of a sudden Dobbs has been the answer for them all along ? NOBODY can turn the Browns around. If this is where Dobbs ends up , I just hope he takes out a good insurance policy. Cleveland is where players go so their career will end before it gets started.

It won't just be Dobbs. The Browns are lucky that they have 11 picks this year (5 of which are in the top 65 picks). That is a ton of picks in the first 2-3 rounds.

What makes this special is that this year's draft is absolutely LOADED with talent. IMO the 2017 NFL Draft has a chance to be one of the best drafts of all-time. This draft is insanely deep with talent at DE, CB, S, RB, TE, and LB. And there are many great players at the other positions as well. Teams should be able to find future pro-bowlers all through the 2nd and 3rd round. And there should still be many starting caliber players available in the 4th round.

With all those picks and this being such a deep draft, as long as the Browns don't eff up, they should come out of this draft with at least 6 starting caliber players. That should give them a nice core of players to build around. Sorta like the Raiders in 2014 when they drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr with their first 2 picks.

If Cleveland does something like this with their first 5 pick, it could spark a quick turnaround:

Round 1, Pick 1 - DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M)
Round 1, Pick 12 - CB Marlon Humphrey (Alabama)
Round 2, Pick 33 - S Justin Evans (Texas A&M)
Round 2, Pick 51 - TE Evan Engram (Ole Miss)
Round 3, Pick 65 - QB Joshua Dobbs (Tennessee)

Those are 5 immediate NFL starters that can develop into pro-bowlers. A draft like this would help turn around the Cleveland Browns.

Did you miss Florida 2015, Georgia 2015, and Florida 2016? All games against top opponents where he took over the game and put the team on his back.

If not for Butch Jones holding him back and waiting until he was down 21 points to let Dobbs loose he would have had more performances like those.

Butch Jones will be to Josh Dobbs what Dean Smith was to Michael Jordan. Remember Michael Jordan never averaged more than 19ppg in college. The old saying was that Dean Smith was the only guy on earth who could stop Michael from scoring 20 points.

Well Butch Jones will be known as the only guy who could keep Josh Dobbs from dominating every football game.
Florida 2015 he he had more receiving than passing yards.

2015 he was lucky that Bama dropped 3 INTs he threw.

2015 UGA's defense wasn't elite by any means.

Florida 2016 was probably his most complete performance as a college QB.

Dobbs is impressive and may turn into a good QB one day, but your MJ comparison is laughable.

Reactions: 2 people
Florida 2015 he he had more receiving than passing yards.

2015 he was lucky that Bama dropped 3 INTs he threw.

2015 UGA's defense wasn't elite by any means.

Florida 2016 was probably his most complete performance as a college QB.

Dobbs is impressive and may turn into a good QB one day, but your MJ comparison is laughable.

That was mostly by design. We were playing a defense with 4 first round DBs, 2 NFL LBs, and 4 NFL defensive lineman. That Florida defense was loaded with NFL players. And our offensive line was terrible and our receivers weren't getting any separation. We weren't gonna move the ball through the air that game. Remember how many times Dobbs was sacked in the 1st quarter?

IMO the 2015 Florida game might be Dobbs best game EVER at Tennessee given the circumstances. He had us in control for nearly that entire game purely on his athleticism. He ran all over Florida that game. And that was really the only way we could move the ball against them.

That was an incredible inidividual performance against what was essentially a NFL defense.

Sir, respectfully, you are out of your damn mind.

Reactions: 5 people
I actually agree with the author. Cleveland would be a great fit. There are many positives:

1. Low Expectations
2. Immediate Playing Time
3. QB expert for a Head Coach
4. Decent Offensive Line

All Josh would need to do is give the position some stability and provide leadership. If he does that the fans will be happy given the recent history of QB in Cleveland.

Not to mention the lineage of Hall of Fame QBs coming out of the Brows franchise.

The Browns have demonstrated great patience in letting QBs develop and grow over the years.

Sir, respectfully, you are out of your damn mind.

tumblr_n3d1is3iFS1t6suvqo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 person
WTH ? So Dobbs can turn around the Browns ? So after all these years of sucking and all of a sudden Dobbs has been the answer for them all along ? NOBODY can turn the Browns around. If this is where Dobbs ends up , I just hope he takes out a good insurance policy. Cleveland is where players go so their career will end before it gets started.

Is pointless, D4H still argued with people that we were going to the playoffs after the USC loss.

Jordan averaged 20 ppg in the 82-83 season at UNC.

I'm comparing NFL Dak to my projection of what I believe Dobbs will be in the NFL.

Dobbs pro ceiling is way higher than Dak because he's more talented. Dobbs is taller, more athletic, and had a bigger arm. And unlike many other guys with stellar physical tools, Dobbs has the intangibles to maximize those physical tools. He's incredibly intelligent, insanely competitiveness, and has a relentless work ethic.

We're dealing with a special player here. Athletes like Josh Dobbs don't come around too often.

Alot of Daks success has to do with a good oline and rb and good wrs. The browns have none of that.

It won't just be Dobbs. The Browns are lucky that they have 11 picks this year (5 of which are in the top 65 picks). That is a ton of picks in the first 2-3 rounds.

What makes this special is that this year's draft is absolutely LOADED with talent. IMO the 2017 NFL Draft has a chance to be one of the best drafts of all-time. This draft is insanely deep with talent at DE, CB, S, RB, TE, and LB. And there are many great players at the other positions as well. Teams should be able to find future pro-bowlers all through the 2nd and 3rd round. And there should still be many starting caliber players available in the 4th round.

With all those picks and this being such a deep draft, as long as the Browns don't eff up, they should come out of this draft with at least 6 starting caliber players. That should give them a nice core of players to build around. Sorta like the Raiders in 2014 when they drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr with their first 2 picks.

If Cleveland does something like this with their first 5 pick, it could spark a quick turnaround:

Round 1, Pick 1 - DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M)
Round 1, Pick 12 - CB Marlon Humphrey (Alabama)
Round 2, Pick 33 - S Justin Evans (Texas A&M)
Round 2, Pick 51 - TE Evan Engram (Ole Miss)
Round 3, Pick 65 - QB Joshua Dobbs (Tennessee)

Those are 5 immediate NFL starters that can develop into pro-bowlers. A draft like this would help turn around the Cleveland Browns.

You are putting waaaaaay too much faith in the ability of the Browns to draft. Take a look at their draft record, its not good. Even when the draft good players it doesnt end well. You are talking about an organization that thought spending a first round pick on money Manziel.

We'll see.

I just trust what I see. And what I see in Dobbs is a special player.

Not if he goes to Cleveland and they try to start him this season.

Whether you accept it or not, he is not ready for the NFL. Dobb's needs at least two years behind a solid QB, with a good QB coach, and an NFL strength and conditioning program.

I hope he goes somewhere else, but it would be great to be able to watch him on Sunday.

I was actually just watching the 2015 Florida game again. I was at that game, and I remember thinking at the time that it was the game where Dobbs would really take his position as one of the great Vol Quarterbacks. He had a spectacular game. Honestly, if Butch hadn't decided to retreat into his turtle shell in the fourth quarter (as he loved to do that year) it would have been his breakout game, and one of the biggest UT wins in RECENT history.

I don't think I have ever seen a better running QB. Just watch that game in the swamp again. I advise stopping it with 2 minutes left and pretending it has a different ending. You will see a QB that is pure magic running with the ball. He makes some mistakes with his throws, and he definitely has accuracy issues especially under pressure, but I think he could easily mature into a great NFL QB.

Maybe he totally flops, maybe he goes to a team where he never gets a chance. I loved watching him play. The intensity and passion he brought to the field was absolutely necessary over the last few seasons. I honestly think they could have been far worse without Josh Dobbs as a leader.

He has earned his VFL, and I know he will always wear it proudly. I hope we haven't seen the last of him on the field.

I hope he goes somewhere else, but it would be great to be able to watch him on Sunday.

I was actually just watching the 2015 Florida game again. I was at that game, and I remember thinking at the time that it was the game where Dobbs would really take his position as one of the great Vol Quarterbacks. He had a spectacular game. Honestly, if Butch hadn't decided to retreat into his turtle shell in the fourth quarter (as he loved to do that year) it would have been his breakout game, and one of the biggest UT wins in RECENT history.

I don't think I have ever seen a better running QB. Just watch that game in the swamp again. I advise stopping it with 2 minutes left and pretending it has a different ending. You will see a QB that is pure magic running with the ball. He makes some mistakes with his throws, and he definitely has accuracy issues especially under pressure, but I think he could easily mature into a great NFL QB.

Maybe he totally flops, maybe he goes to a team where he never gets a chance. I loved watching him play. The intensity and passion he brought to the field was absolutely necessary over the last few seasons. I honestly think they could have been far worse without Josh Dobbs as a leader.

He has earned his VFL, and I know he will always wear it proudly. I hope we haven't seen the last of him on the field.

Great post.

And I agree with you about that 2015 game against Florida. Dobbs was phenomenal running the ball.

No, im not rounding, i checked the official stats.

Guess the saying was Dean Smith was the only guy who could keep Jordan from scoring over 20.0ppg.

Either way I seriously remember looking this up a few years ago and seeing that his career high in college was 19.9 ppg.

VN Store

Back