Article: Why the Cleveland Browns are a perfect fit for Josh Dobbs

So Josh is the NFL football equivalent of Michael Jordan, the greatest basketball player to ever walk God's green earth?

Alrighty then.....

No one thought Michael Jordan would be the greatest basketball player of all time when he was in college. Neither did anyone think Tom Brady would be the best QB ever when he was in college.

I'm not saying Dobbs will be the best ever. I'm just saying it's not out of the question that he could and I do believe he has that sort of POTENTIAL.

Josh has a rare talent but even more rare is his competitive drive. His competitiveness is second to none like Jordan and Brady. That's the main reason I believe in him so much. When a guy like Jalen Reeves-Maybin says Dobbs is the most competitive person he knows, that means something to me. Elite level competitiveness is what separated Jordan and Brady from many of their peers who some thought early on were more talented. Just as there are now people who think there are better QBs available this year in the draft than Josh.

In terms of intangibles Dobbs is as good as it gets. Add that to his elite physical tools and you have a player with a limitless ceiling.

One of the biggest red flags about josh Dobbs besides his accuracy... (Which has improved and believe will continue to do so) he needs to sit a year and I think he will be ready to be an atiquite QB...
However, the red flag came from the VT game... S. Jones was heard yelling at the OLine saying "y'all promised you wouldn't do this, y'all promised" which lead to almost physical altercations... While Dobbs was seen on the bench...
That was Dobb's place to be that leader and he didn't do that... You can't be passive... However from a few reports that I have heard he improved but if that was his mindset to just let the OLine figure it out... He dang sure wouldn't be my QB...

No one thought Michael Jordan would be the greatest basketball player of all time when he was in college. Neither did anyone think Tom Brady would be the best QB ever when he was in college.

I'm not saying Dobbs will be the best ever. I'm just saying it's not out of the question that he could and I do believe he has that sort of POTENTIAL.

Josh has a rare talent but even more rare is his competitive drive. His competitiveness is second to none like Jordan and Brady. That's the main reason I believe in him so much. When a guy like Jalen Reeves-Maybin says Dobbs is the most competitive person he knows, that means something to me. Elite level competitiveness is what separated Jordan and Brady from many of their peers who some thought early on were more talented. Just as there are now people who think there are better QBs available this year in the draft than Josh.

In terms of intangibles Dobbs is as good as it gets. Add that to his elite physical tools and you have a player with a limitless ceiling.

Yeah, it's pretty much out of the question. Michael Jordan was far and away more lauded coming out of college than Dobbs.

My God man, you've got to be kidding us

You do realize Jordan was ACC FOTY and followed that up with 2 FTAA seasons culminating in winning both the Naismith and Wooden awards.

Predicting a GOAT is dubious business but there was absolutely nobody that was shocked at Jordan being great. At least, not anybody that knew anything about him.

Reactions: 1 person

The difference is you have the benefit of significant hindsight before comparing Josh to Michael.....yet you still did it.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, it's pretty much out of the question. Michael Jordan was far and away more lauded coming out of college than Dobbs.

My God man, you've got to be kidding us

Sure.

But its not like anyone thought Jordan would be the GOAT coming out of college. His pro career was a surprise to everyone. Jordan went 3rd overall in his own draft. He never averaged more than 20.0 ppg in college. And even though he was on stacked teams at North Carolina, he only won 1 national title (as a freshmen) with James Worthy being the leader of that championship team.

Nothing in Jordan's college resume said here comes the GOAT.

That was my point in mentioning Jordan and Brady. When both were coming out, no one was talking about them like they were talking about LeBron or Andrew Luck. Their all-time greatness simply emerged. It was not anointed before hand.

Sure.

But its not like anyone thought Jordan would be the GOAT coming out of college. His pro career was a surprise to everyone. Jordan went 3rd overall in his own draft. He never averaged more than 20.0 ppg in college. And even though he was on stacked teams at North Carolina, he only won 1 national title (as a freshmen) with James Worthy being the leader of that championship team.

That was my point in mentioning Jordan and Brady. When both were coming out, no one was talking about them like they were talking about LeBron or Andrew Luck. Their all-time greatness simply emerged. It was not anointed before hand.

You're miscasting this a bit. The popular saying while Jordan was at UNC was that "the only person who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points is Dean Smith", his head coach. If you saw him play back then at UNC, which I doubt you did, you knew immediately that he was special, not like the others.

Jordan was a bona fide star and widely regarded as easily the best college player when he declared after his junior year. Soon after, that same year, he was the best player on the 1984 gold medal winning Olympic team.

So, quite honestly, your comparison falls incredibly short, with no offense intended toward Josh. And if you're now gonna use Jordan as Josh's comparison by example, after knowing who Jordan is after all these years, you're saying/predicting that Josh is gonna be the greatest football player of all time. Sorry, that's just nonsensical.

Last edited:
You're miscasting this a bit. The popular saying while Jordan was at UNC was that "the only person who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points is Dean Smith", his head coach. If you saw him play back then at UNC, which I doubt you did, you knew immediately that he was special, not like the others.

Jordan was a bona fide star and widely regarded as easily the best college player when he declared after his junior year. Soon after, that same year, he was the best player on the 1984 gold medal winning Olympic team.

So, quite honestly, your comparison falls incredibly short, with no offense intended toward Josh. And if you're now gonna use Jordan as Josh's comparison by example, after knowing who Jordan is after all these years, you're saying/predicting that Josh is gonna be the greatest football player of all time. Sorry, that's just nonsensical.

And yet he went 3rd overall in the draft. Stop switching the subject. I never said Jordan was a bum or average college player. Obviously if you go 3rd overall in the NBA draft people must think you'll be a star. However, NO ONE thought at the time here comes the greatest basketball player of all time. People thought he would be a star. No one was saying he would the GOAT.

I watched an interview a few weeks ago where James Worthy (Jordan's teammate at North Carolina) said even he was surprised by Jordan's greatness in the NBA. He said he knew Jordan would be great but didn't think he would be as good as he ultimately turned out.

What Jordan did in the pros is EXCEED all expectations. That was my point. No one thought at the time he would accomplish what he did. If they did, they would have drafted him 1st overall like LeBron and Luck who were getting GOAT hype when they were being drafted.

And yet he went 3rd overall in the draft. Stop switching the subject. I never said Jordan was a bum or average college player. Obviously if you go 3rd overall in the NBA draft people must think you'll be a star. However, NO ONE thought at the time here comes the greatest basketball player of all time. People thought he would be a star. No one was saying he would the GOAT.

I watched an interview a few weeks ago where James Worthy (Jordan's teammate at North Carolina) said even he was surprised by Jordan's greatness in the NBA. He said he knew Jordan would be great but didn't think he would be as good as he ultimately turned out.

What Jordan did in the pros is EXCEED all expectations. That was my point. No one thought at the time he would accomplish what he did. If they did, they would have drafted him 1st overall like LeBron and Luck who were getting GOAT hype when they were being drafted.
Just for the record no one ever says "oh he is going to the best ever" atleast not people that actually know what they are talking about... Special yes but not the GOAT.

Just for the record no one ever says "oh he is going to the best ever" atleast not people that actually know what they are talking about... Special yes but not the GOAT.

Ok. People did think Jordan would be special. I never claimed otherwise. He was just never predicted to be the best.

But no one ever said that Brady would be special let alone the best ever. He was an afterthought in the 2000 NFL draft.

Last edited:
Sure.

Jordan was predicted to be one of the best.

Still, trying to compare someone who's at best a second day draftee to Jordan is ridiculous.

Jordan was predicted to be one of the best.

Still, trying to compare someone who's at best a second day draftee to Jordan is ridiculous.

Tom Brady was a 6th round afterthought and he's arguably the greatest QB ever. So I don't think it's ridiculous to think Dobbs could also be great coming from where he is right now.

Tom Brady was a 6th round afterthought and he's arguably the greatest QB ever. So I don't think it's ridiculous to think Dobbs could also be great coming from where he is right now.

Tom Brady was an established pocket passer. An essential skill in the NFL. Dobbs has yet to prove he can be a pocket passer. Once again, there is no comparison with Brady and Dobbs. Dobbs is a great athlete who MIGHT get a chance. The jury is still out on whether or not he can even make a team, regardless of your evaluation of him. The one that matters is with scouts and coaches. He's a project right now. It's highly unlikely he's not going to be a first year starter. It's not even likely he makes a team. I think he will but he's years from being ready to take the reigns in the NFL

Rational thought doesn't work like that...otherwise we can all just sit back and watch the 6th round and announce that each player "could be the next Brady story" and move on. Sometimes people exceed expectations and sometimes fall short. The valid conversation here is not about what's "possible" (I could win the Powerball, no really, it's possible) but what's a rational expectation based on what evidence is available at the time of projection. (I am not expecting to win the Powerball)

What you tragically fail to address is that valid expectations are predicated on prior accomplishment. You have to point to something to have legitimate high expectations. I don't know what Dobbs will do (I hope he's very much on the exceed all expectations side) but one would have to be shooting heroin while having an ayahuasca enema to think the actual expectations for Dobbs entering the NFL are remotely analogous those under which Jordan entered the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person
Tom Brady was an established pocket passer. An essential skill in the NFL. Dobbs has yet to prove he can be a pocket passer. Once again, there is no comparison with Brady and Dobbs. Dobbs is a great athlete who MIGHT get a chance. The jury is still out on whether or not he can even make a team, regardless of your evaluation of him. The one that matters is with scouts and coaches. He's a project right now. It's highly unlikely he's not going to be a first year starter. It's not even likely he makes a team. I think he will but he's years from being ready to take the reigns in the NFL

Actually Tom Brady established nothing. He was a 6th round pick after all. If anyone thought he was a good pocket passer they would have taken him much earlier than 199th overall.

Stop trying to rewrite history. His NFL success was predicted by no one.

First, the NBA was a completely different league in 1984, still valued 7'0 post players, which is why Olajuwon and Bowie ahead of him. Yet, in 1984, neither of those two were the collegiate basketball player of the year....Jordan was.

I'm not switching the subject, I'm just giving context to your poor comparison of Josh to Jordan, their situations are apples to oranges. While no one might've been able to predict he'd be the all-time greatest, anyone with one eye and a grain of sense figured he'd be a great player in the NBA. No offense to Josh, but nobody other than you thinks he'll be a great NFL QB and certainly not the greatest of all time, in large part due to what we saw of him in college. He had a penchant, at certain moments, to be a great playmaker and make great plays.....yet, on balance, he still remains an inconsistent passer/qb, and a marginal, mid to late round pick type prospect.

First, the NBA was a completely different league in 1984, still valued 7'0 post players, which is why Olajuwon and Bowie ahead of him. Yet, in 1984, neither of those two were the collegiate basketball player of the year....Jordan was.

I'm not switching the subject, I'm just giving context to your poor comparison of Josh to Jordan, their situations are apples to oranges. While no one might've been able to predict he'd be the all-time greatest, anyone with one eye and a grain of sense figured he'd be a great player in the NBA. No offense to Josh, but nobody other than you thinks he'll be a great NFL QB and certainly not the greatest of all time, in large part due to what we saw of him in college. He had a penchant, at certain moments, to be a great playmaker and make great plays.....yet, on balance, he still remains an inconsistent passer/qb, and a marginal, mid to late round pick type prospect.

And no one thought Tom Brady would be the a great NFL QB and certainly not the greatest of all time AT THIS STAGE in his career either.

I'm fine with being on this island by myself. I believe what I believe. And I'll keep believing it till I have good reason not to anymore.

Posts like this are why your credibility has reached a new all time low. You simply can't be this delusional.

You know KB, I thought for a long time he was a troll. If you read his BS in the PF he is a racist Nazi. I'm not sure he doesn't actually believe the crap he posts and actually thinks that someone that has been a VOL fan for a time span that can be counted in months is an authority on the VOLS.

And no one thought Tom Brady would be the a great NFL QB and certainly not the greatest of all time AT THIS STAGE in his career either.

I'm fine with being on this island by myself. I believe what I believe. And I'll keep believing it till I have good reason not to anymore.

There's a ton of good reasons not to believe it at all, much less anymore. You're gonna die on that island imo.

VN Store

Back