Arian Foster has Beef with NCAA...........

Well...Sport....it doesn't matter what the Tennis player, or swim team member thinks. IF they generate revenue, they should get a portion of it. IF they do not, then they are entitled to nothing.

Same thing goes for all professions or FOR-PROFIT organiztaions/businesses. If your work makes money, you are rewarded. If it doesn't then you aren't. It's called the free market system of capitalism. The swim team is already funded by the football team. Why should they feel entitled to MORE of what the football player generates?

You can't operate a capitalist system in a university where the student atheletes are not not employees of the school. And don't kid yourself - lawyers will be lining up to file lawsuit after lawsuit claiming the school is discriminating against some student athletes by not paying them what the football team is paid.
Again, back to your point. Some schools will generate millions more than others due to media markets, etc. Coaches will use the players potential "paycheck" as a recruiting tool, and schools like Texas will be able to pay their players alot more than other schools in their conference. It opens the door for an avalanche of problems........you should be able to see that.

By the way, they are getting paid

$20,000 a year in tuition and books. Not counting room and board

Divide that by 11 games

They are getting $2000 a game

or $500 every 15 minutes

Takes me almost have a year to make that kind of money

They can play for what they have or pay their own way and not play

Reactions: 3 people
If you were on an academic scholarship and your inventions were making the university, lets say...$50 million during your 3-4yr stay, you'd have a different perspective on it. You're getting $60k on a scholarship that was already available regardless of what your inventions brought. But now, they have hit a gold mine due to your skill, effort and intellect. You don't think it would be fair to ask for a reasonable percentage of those proceeds?
You forgot the part that I used the University's resources, facilities and ongoing research to create said invention while they are paying me to do so.

Reactions: 2 people
By the way, they are getting paid

$20,000 a year in tuition and books. Not counting room and board

Divide that by 11 games

They are getting $2000 a game

or $500 every 15 minutes

Takes me almost have a year to make that kind of money

They can play for what they have or pay their own way and not play

There's a lot more to being a football player than 12 games.

RU serious? What rock have you been living under? Google Search "ESPN, CBS, contract, SEC".

Each school in the SEC averaged about $18+mill/yr just from their TV contracts alone. That was before it expanded with TAM and UM. It will get much higher now. Even if the football players were to receive a measely 1% of that, it's $180k divided by 85, that is still about $2k. At 10% (of TV revenue alone...not even including merchandise/licensing and ticket sales), that's roughly $21k/yr. That is not asking a lot and should be VERY doable.

Maybe you can get in that class with Patterson.
Kettle, meet Mr. Pot...by the way, he says it's you who are black. Just schooled you on the math...no charge (for tutor fees).

That is simply not true. MANY non-athletes donate every year to their colleges. Major funding comes to these colleges through non-athletic donations EVERY year. I would hazard a guess but there are very few "full rides" given out by the University System. EVERY student has equal opportunity to get the academic scholarships. It's called studying in High School. My kids were in the marching band in HS and played 2 sports per year. They both received all the money that you can get from UT for their GRADES. Academic scholarships from the University System are EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, athletic scholarships on the other hand are awarded.
Maybe you can call Mike Hamilton a liar then, when he himself stated publicly that he gave millions to the rest of the AD on top of what they already give each year, and that the football program basically funds the other programs. Only the Basketball teams were somewhat self-sufficient.

Want to try again, professor?

Last edited:
You forgot the part that I used the University's resources, facilities and ongoing research to create said invention while they are paying me to do so.
And that is why you would not be asking for the entirety of the revenue...just a reasonable portion thereof.

Same with Pro Football. It's no different than the NFL. The owners have LOTS of expenditures to cover as well...but that doesn't mean the players association should just take whatever the NFL and owners are willing to relinquish.

You can't operate a capitalist system in a university where the student atheletes are not not employees of the school. And don't kid yourself - lawyers will be lining up to file lawsuit after lawsuit claiming the school is discriminating against some student athletes by not paying them what the football team is paid.
Again, back to your point. Some schools will generate millions more than others due to media markets, etc. Coaches will use the players potential "paycheck" as a recruiting tool, and schools like Texas will be able to pay their players alot more than other schools in their conference. It opens the door for an avalanche of problems........you should be able to see that.
Look. And establishment that annually generates billions of dollars in revenue IS NOT an amateur institution. The NCAA tries to conveniently hide behind the facade of the "Amateur" label, while operating like a BIG BUSINESS. Conferences and Universities operate as a business. If they were Amateur, then they wouldn't be charging me big money to license T-Shirts or apparel with their logo on it.
The fact is, colleges athletic departments operate as a minor league, semi pro platform. It can hardly even qualify as a minor league, due to the revenue generated nearly rivaling that of the NFL itself.

Again, all manner of scholarships are handed out each year...and almost none bring the awarding institution a return on their investment. Only Football and Basketball athletes do. If you want to play tennis, volleyball, or run track, you have no entitlement to revenue other athletes generate...period. It's not hard to comprehend a workable solution. It's done in the business world every day.

The only difference is, we're talking about removing the fallacious amateur label from a big business.

Last edited:
And that is why you would not be asking for the entirety of the revenue...just a reasonable portion thereof.

Same with Pro Football. It's no different than the NFL. The owners have LOTS of expenditures to cover as well...but that doesn't mean the players association should just take whatever the NFL and owners are willing to relinquish.

Another hole in your theory. Who determines what a "reasonable portion" of the revenue the athletes deserve? The athletes? What if it's not what they think is enough? I mean, if they're getting paid by the school, don't they have a right to be represented by an agent? So all of a sudden, it really IS like the NFL. This has so many problems associated with it that it makes you dizzy.

Reactions: 1 person
Another hole in your theory. Who determines what a "reasonable portion" of the revenue the athletes deserve? The athletes? What if it's not what they think is enough? I mean, if they're getting paid by the school, don't they have a right to be represented by an agent? So all of a sudden, it really IS like the NFL. This has so many problems associated with it that it makes you dizzy.
It has holes because....you say so? It's complicated because...? Just as the NFL players have representation (players union), the Football and Basketball players in the NCAA should have their own body of representation.

You try and make millions of dollars per year and see if Uncle Sam accepts your claim to be an "Amateur." :birgits_giggle: Anytime money exchanges hands, he wants his cut.

What will likely happen is a class action lawsuit against the NCAA, on behalf of the football and basketball athletes. It may reach the Supreme Court. The NCAA will be stripped of it's "Amateur Athletics" status. Thereafter, the student athletes will be able to unionize.

From there, they will have the necessary leverage to negotiate for a reasonable level of compensation. Again, it's the NCAA and the individual conferences that are trying to pretend it is not a money making entity. It most certainly is, and therefor normal business rules and practices will apply.

Student athlete's scholarship costs will be weighed into the negotiations, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

The day they start paying the college players is the day I stop watching. No argument out there can change my mind on this. No one is forcing these athletes to attend a major university. If they want to get paid for working let them join the military. Our armed forces can always use strong, healthy young men to defend our freedoms. Fact is that after a couple years in the military they might come to appreciate a university scholarship.

jmho

Imagine this:

Dooley: Son, there are lots of great reasons to come to UT, and we really need a player like yourself to come make an impact on our program.

Recruit: Well, coach, I understand what you're saying, and I like UT and all, but........Alabama generated a little more revenue than UT did last year, so their players are getting a higher cut than UTs......and my family really needs the money,so........

Dooley: But, but, y-y-you could play in front of 100,000 screaming fans, and..

Recruit: Coach, I appreciate what you're doin,....really. But it's just a numbers game.....sorry.

Reactions: 3 people
The day they start paying the college players is the day I stop watching. No argument out there can change my mind on this. No one is forcing these athletes to attend a major university. If they want to get paid for working let them join the military. Our armed forces can always use strong, healthy young men to defend our freedoms. Fact is that after a couple years in the military they might come to appreciate a university scholarship.

jmho

While I agree that many of these athletes have a self-entitlement that is undeserved in all aspects, but it's just a sticky situation in that they are forced to attend college in order to peruse a career completely unrelated to academics.

While I agree that many of these athletes have a self-entitlement that is undeserved in all aspects, but it's just a sticky situation in that they are forced to attend college in order to peruse a career completely unrelated to academics.

What do you mean? These kids get out of school what they put in. It's only a very small minority that have any kind of chance at the pros.

Everything you just stated is absolute garbage.
Because you say so? What do you have to back up your statements with? Garbage...as we will see.

If what you said were true, then each and every one of us are slaves to our jobs.
In your profession, you have a multitude of different businesses to work for, and thus have more leverage to leave an untenable (compensation) arrangement.
For a skilled football or basketball athlete, they only have one option (NCAA). And their scholarships are no different than one on an academic scholarship. Lots of funds are donated for athletic scholarships. The difference here is that football and basketball athletes usually generate FAR more revenue than is expended. It is merely this disparity that is brought into question. Let's use your own figures as a good example.

A university brandishing 85 scholarships for only one sport is a lot of money they lose. Multiply 85 scholarships x ~$20,000 per student's tuition = $1,700,000.

Not to mention travel expenses for each and every player, food and nutrition for each and every player, equipment, apparel etc.
On TV revenue alone, UT generates in excess of $18mill/yr. The scholarship costs you mention isn't even 10% of that figure. This doesn't even factor in all the other forms of revenue generated (Ticket sales/Luxury Suites/Merchandise/Licensing/Radio/Donations/Athletic scholarships provided via donations...from guys like Peyton Manning and other alumni.
You're absolutely ignorant if you think that football players aren't well-taken care of.
You're absolutely ignorant if you think that the Universities aren't well-taken care of...and able to return 10-20% of all revenue back to those who generate it for them.

Because you say so? What do you have to back up your statements with? Garbage...as we will see.

In your profession, you have a multitude of different businesses to work for, and thus have more leverage to leave an untenable (compensation) arrangement.
For a skilled football or basketball athlete, they only have one option (NCAA). And their scholarships are no different than one on an academic scholarship. Lots of funds are donated for athletic scholarships. The difference here is that football and basketball athletes usually generate FAR more revenue than is expended. It is merely this disparity that is brought into question. Let's use your own figures as a good example.

On TV revenue alone, UT generates in excess of $18mill/yr. The scholarship costs you mention isn't even 10% of that figure. This doesn't even factor in all the other forms of revenue generated (Ticket sales/Luxury Suites/Merchandise/Licensing/Radio/Donations/Athletic scholarships provided via donations...from guys like Peyton Manning and other alumni.
You're absolutely ignorant if you think that the Universities aren't well-taken care of...and able to return 10-20% of all revenue back to those who generate it for them.

Agent?

Imagine this:

Dooley: Son, there are lots of great reasons to come to UT, and we really need a player like yourself to come make an impact on our program.

Recruit: Well, coach, I understand what you're saying, and I like UT and all, but........Alabama generated a little more revenue than UT did last year, so their players are getting a higher cut than UTs......and my family really needs the money,so........

Dooley: But, but, y-y-you could play in front of 100,000 screaming fans, and..

Recruit: Coach, I appreciate what you're doin,....really. But it's just a numbers game.....sorry.
That's how it's done in the real world. Only so many openings at Apple, Intel, Microsoft, Disney, etc.
When they don't have enough room for you, where do you go? Right down the street to the next one.

It's not a lot different than what occurs now. Every school is in a spending war, to make their facilities nicer than the next guy's. If you can't afford to compete with that, oh...well.

Exactly. And trying to claim that their scholarships is reasonable compensation is about rational as saying that room and boarding was reasonable compensation for slaves, prior to the end of the Civil War.

You might be stretching that analogy a bit too far.

Yes, but what about the ones that do you have a chance at the pros?

It's up to the individual if they wanna take that chance. If they wanna barely get by instead of working toward a worthwhile degree thinking they will get drafted, well that's a chance they take or dont take. We all make decisions that ultimately have consequences.

There are some striking parallels between them, so it's a relevant comparison on some level.

There is nothing in common with slavery & college football. If they don't wanna play & get an education they don't have to.

jmho
What does joining the military have to do with this? Please s'plain to us (without all the tobacco afterspray), General, how that is suppose'en to work...you figur's?

You is makin them there fatcats mi'yuns of greenbacks, and your cut is a scholarship some alumini done donated. Is that your southern-fried math skills at work here?

VN Store

Back