Are there really 51 Power 5 coaches better than Butch?

Okay, just curious. So mostly off the past not actually what he's done at Michigan.
I'm in no way saying he won't get it done there, just that he hasn't so far. I can't count getting ranked inside the top 10.
How many of the Big Ten teams that we absolutely destroyed have been highly ranked. Basically you join the Big and win half your games, you're ranked.

Once again, doesn't mean he won't be explosive, but he hasn't been at Michigan so far.

Harbaugh is 20-6, back to back 10-3 seasons at Michigan.....took over a program that was 12-13 the two seasons preceding him. Would Jones be considered "explosive" if he'd have come in and posted back to back 10-3 seasons in an awful SECe?

Add what he's doing at Michigan to the list of outstanding accomplishments on his resume imo. You've gotta be going out of your way to not see his success at every level he's coached at.

Reactions: 6 people
I get it. Just don't care. It's too low really, but is 38th or 43rd all that much different than 52? This guy beats fl for the first time in 11 years, goes b2b against uga, beats a good vt team and trounces Nebraska in a bowl.

He loses to USCe and vandy.

Same guy. Same season. Awesome and pitiful simultaneously.

And Houston beats Oklahoma and Louisville ... but loses to SMU. It happened a lot last year to a lot of teams and coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
Harbaugh is 20-6, back to back 10-3 seasons at Michigan.....took over a program that was 12-13 the two seasons preceding him. Add what he's doing at Michigan to the list of outstanding accomplishments on his resume. You've gotta be going out of your way to not see his success at every level he's coached at.

But he has not finished any higher than 3rd in his division in the conference. If you put the Tennessee expectation on that - he should be out of there.

Reactions: 4 people
But as I scan over this list, I find losses that would be labeled "inexcusable" by our fans, from every coach outside the top tier. So don't misunderstand, it's not that I believe Jones should be high in the list, more so that our fans would rank over half the ones in front of him, under him, if that coach was our coach.

In other words, they're giving those coaches credit and ignoring their losses. But if that coach was our coach, they would be raising hell about those same losses.

Okay, just curious. So mostly off the past not actually what he's done at Michigan.
I'm in no way saying he won't get it done there, just that he hasn't so far. I can't count getting ranked inside the top 10.

So if Butch had Tennessee ranked in the top 10, you wouldn't count it?

Sure, I believe you

Reactions: 5 people
Saban tier:
Nick Saban

Elite tier (the rest of the active coaches with NCs):
Urban Meyer
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Swinney
Bob Stoops (although he's probably closer to "Very Good," I'm including him because having a NC is so rare among active coaches now)

Very good tier:
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Patterson
Chris Petersen
Bobby Petrino

Good tier:
About 30 coaches who are basically interchangeable, including Butch Jones

Petrino lost to Kentucky

I get it. Just don't care. It's too low really, but is 38th or 43rd all that much different than 52? This guy beats fl for the first time in 11 years, goes b2b against uga, beats a good vt team and trounces Nebraska in a bowl.

He loses to USCe and vandy.

Same guy. Same season. Awesome and pitiful simultaneously.

GOOD and pitiful in the same season.....don't forget a loss to a very average TAM team due to 7 turnovers and the second worst loss to Bama in school history. We essentially played one great half of championship level football all season long.

Reactions: 3 people
I find it interesting that you are defending coaches who have lost games to teams they shouldn't have and/or lost to teams that Jones has defeated.

And the sad part is that some of you are serious.

You mean Hugh Freeze who lost to Vandy? And Malzahn who has lost to Georgia the last two years, a team which Jones defeated both years?

My point is that those coaches are bad and still made Sugar Bowls, since you apparently still missed it. Someone was dismissing Bielema's 3 Rose Bowl appearances because it's "easy" and bad coaches can get there; well, the Sugar Bowl isn't any different and Butch is still sitting on zero.

I find it interesting that you are defending coaches who have lost games to teams they shouldn't have and/or lost to teams that Jones has defeated.

And the sad part is that some of you are serious.

I am not defending Freeze and Malzahn. I am specifically saying that they suck.

Reactions: 1 person
Harbaugh is 20-6, back to back 10-3 seasons at Michigan.....took over a program that was 12-13 the two seasons preceding him. Would Jones be considered "explosive" if he'd have come in and posted back to back 10-3 seasons in an awful SECe?

Add what he's doing at Michigan to the list of outstanding accomplishments on his resume imo. You've gotta be going out of your way to not see his success at every level he's coached at.

Lol, no.
I clearly expressed I was talking about Michigan
Hardbaugh is beating no one that we're not beating in bowl games. But our fans call them trash when we beat them and give him credit when he does.
Those are facts. I don't care if you want to give him credit for that, that's fine. But I'm not going out of my way.

He was hired to beat certain people and paid over double our coach to do so. He has not. Once again, just a fact. If you want me to give him credit for doing so, go back and change history. Otherwise I will wait until he actually does.

I am beginning to think that most on this board are really NOT VOL fans. Folks defend other schools just to bash the school they supposedly are a fan of.

Seriously? Just go root for someone else please.

One does not have to be a fan of Butch Jones to love Tennessee Football. Tennessee Football is bigger than Butch Jones.

Feel free to take your "true fan" Members Only jacket, and follow Butch to his next coaching stop in a non-P5 conference if you feel otherwise.

Reactions: 7 people
You mean Hugh Freeze who lost to Vandy? And Malzahn who has lost to Georgia the last two years, a team which Jones defeated both years?

But yet Jones loses to Muschamp (no longer at UF) and the same Vandy but if that gets brought up you have to be a Bama fan.

Not that it's a shock.

One does not have to be a fan of Butch Jones to love Tennessee Football. Tennessee Football is bigger than Butch Jones.

Feel free to take your "true fan" Members Only jacket, and follow Butch to his next coaching stop in a non-P5 conference if you feel otherwise.

And it has nothing to do with Jones.

Heck, Majors and Fulmer get just as many rocks thrown at them (Some justified) and he had yet to find either pinnacles they reached.

So if Butch had Tennessee ranked in the top 10, you wouldn't count it?

Sure, I believe you

If he earned it by beating the big 10 teams that he beats in bowls every year?
What do you say when we beat those teams?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Lol, no.
I clearly expressed I was talking about Michigan
Hardbaugh is beating no one that we're not beating in bowl games. But our fans call them trash when we beat them and give him credit when he does.
Those are facts. I don't care if you want to give him credit for that, that's fine. But I'm not going out of my way.

He was hired to beat certain people and paid over double our coach to do so. He has not. Once again, just a fact. If you want me to give him credit for doing so, go back and change history. Otherwise I will wait until he actually does.

Harbaugh hasn't done what he was brought there to do.

I actual think Jones has in an odd way.

Harbaugh hasn't done what he was brought there to do.

I actual think Jones has in an odd way.

To rebuild I'm assuming and agree.
Not sure Jones can do anymore.

I stand by both he and Harbaugh have beaten the same b1g teams. Imagine how mad we would be if we had paid Jones 10mil a year to do so. Oddly, they both have a UF win also.

It wouldn't matter if he goes 15-0 next year, some would still find something to complain about and would say Tennessee didn't win the other team lost.

It wouldn't matter if he goes 15-0 next year, some would still find something to complain about and would say Tennessee didn't win the other team lost.

If he ever actually goes 15—0 at UT,which is unlikely given what we've seen the last 4 seasons, we'll get to put your "everyone is too hard on Butch" theory to the test.

I like everything CBJ brings to the table except game management, and X's and O's. With that being said, that's the most important part of his job.I think 52 is about right. Recruiting, morale, energy, willing to change assistants, fire on the sidelines, all pluses, but he has to win the east when it is this far down. Period. No more excuses. Coach them up or in my opinion it's time to look further. For goodness sake Florida won the east without a QB the last two years and ours was just drafted. Time to put up or shut up.

You like everything except game management, and x's and o's? What about 2nd half adjustments? Development of talent? Recruiting sliding down? God-awful PR skills? 0-4 against Bama? 1-3 against Florida? 2-2 against Vandy?Bad Luck? A ridiculous hair cut? Should I continue?

VN Store

Back