any realistic qb targets in this cycle at this point?

Good news, unlike the old staff who took anyone,seems this one wants guys that fit

i think they were wary of Martinez dropping out, but they wanted him to stay. so while i agree with your premise, i don't think they anticipated not having any qb commits.

short of being in scramble mode, there's not a lot on the horizon as far as qb's go with the EE signing next week looming. the good news is it appears, at least, that Friend, at least has some history evaluating Shrout since Co St has offered him....so there's at least a connection there.

i'd be curious to see if there's any others they may target for the Feb signing date, that some coaches had previous relationships with at their last school.

not ready to freak out yet. if we get past the feb signing date and no qb on board....it may be ok to freak out a little bit.:)

Yes we do. We don't know if Dormady is for sure staying or transferring like he had been rumored to. With Butch gone I'm not 100% sure he stays. Then that gives us 2 scholarship QB's. We literally were one play away from having 2 walk-on QB's playing and backing up the other. We badly need one.Ala also has 5 star RB's and receivers all over the place to go with that beast OLine. And that 2nd rate QB got them beat against AU and if LSU and Flor St had gotten good QB play they could have beaten them.All 3 of those teams **** down Ala and when they couldn't run Hurts couldn't step up. That's exactly why I think Clemson shuts their run game down and beats Ala by 14+.

Why on earth do you think Jones being gone would make it more likely that QD leaves? Jones did screwed QD. Dormady won the job. Supposedly, Jones was going to customize the O to the strengths of the players. Scott tried to do that and talked frequently of going more pro set. Jones didn't allow it. He kept the "competition" open until he got the result he wanted.

If QD comes back healthy then the advantage he had to start with will only be magnified. JG either struggle to learn the old system or else did not have the dedication to do it quickly. That's the biggest reason Jones couldn't give him the job at the start of August. Now they're faced with learning a whole new system. QD is said to have had a firm grip on the last system by the start of his 2nd year. He appears to learn faster than JG... or else outworks him. That is a big advantage.

If we don't get THE QB that they want, get some more Big Nasties instead!

A huge area of need.

Why on earth do you think Jones being gone would make it more likely that QD leaves? Jones did screwed QD. Dormady won the job. Supposedly, Jones was going to customize the O to the strengths of the players. Scott tried to do that and talked frequently of going more pro set. Jones didn't allow it. He kept the "competition" open until he got the result he wanted.

If QD comes back healthy then the advantage he had to start with will only be magnified. JG either struggle to learn the old system or else did not have the dedication to do it quickly. That's the biggest reason Jones couldn't give him the job at the start of August. Now they're faced with learning a whole new system. QD is said to have had a firm grip on the last system by the start of his 2nd year. He appears to learn faster than JG... or else outworks him. That is a big advantage.

Not necessarily. QDs dad tweaked their hs team's offense to run like UT's to prepare QD. Or so they say.

So, right now....here is who is uncommitted on Rivals Top Lists.

Pro Style
#2 - 4* Tanner McKee from California.
#19 -3* Maurice Robinson from Mobile, AL
#22 - 3* Riley Smith from Jacksonville, FL (I THINK same high school as Peterman)
#32 - 3* Zadock Dinkelmann from Somerset, TX (Want on name alone)
#33 - 3* Carter Bradley from Jacksonville, FL

Dual Threat
#17 - 3* James Foster from Montgomery, AL
#18 - 3* Gerry Bohannon from Earle, Arkansas

Dont see any JUCO QB's.

So, unless we manage to use Helton's connections to California to get Tanner McKee or just wanna say screw it and get Zadok Dinkelmann, I don't see us getting a highly rated QB this time around.

BUT...it is not an absolute necessity this time. We do have now 3 QB's that I think can at least be serviceable. Give them a year of coaching, and hopefully we can zero in on two solid QB's in the 2019 class.

Just looking ahead, the #2 Pro Style QB next year is Bo Nix. He's from Pinson, AL, which is only 30 minutes outside of Hoover, where Pruitt has major connections. I'd be willing to bet he is already in his ear.

We will be alright. Honestly, we have so many needs that I'm okay with not taking 1 this year. But ONLY this year.

We could make a run at Maurice Robinson, considering Pruitt has coached high school and college in bama. But, if we can't do any better than that, I would wait until next cycle and go after the big fish with early playing time being very realistic. JMO

Reactions: 1 person

This is all rampant speculation

We could make a run at Maurice Robinson, considering Pruitt has coached high school and college in bama. But, if we can't do any better than that, I would wait until next cycle and go after the big fish with early playing time being very realistic. JMO

Agreed

I really like Robinson's film. Seems to be very athletic with a decent arm. :hi:

VN Store

Back