Annual "You should pull for the SEC, it helps Tennessee" debate

Since you don't know how to bold which part of my post you're replying to (genius) I didn't know you meant the "never root for an SEC team" thing was someone else's comment.

Yeah we're done here. I need a competent poster to debate with.

Ok, I guess I'm sorry you didn't know who you were responding to.
and yeah, we are done. Scream go bama at the top of your lungs, it's your right. Just not going to join you.

You seemed to ask a legit question and I gave my answer.
Next time, maybe you should state upfront that you only desire responses that agree with you.
The real question was never answered though.
Has the state of MS or others,.... rise, helped UT in any way.
If so, examples would be appreciated.

Reactions: 4 people
How? The team with the best record is #3, not #1.

And the remaining teams all the way from #1 to #6 have the same record. The Big 12 was weak this year, even weaker than the Big 10 (in the eyes of the SOS rankings at least). Hence the two 1-loss Big 12 winners didn't get in.

I bet they wish their conference would have been a bit stronger this year..........................

This. What if we won the SEC with one loss, and didn't make the playoffs? If our conference was weak that could happen and everyone here would say it was an injustice against us cause we won the SEC. I am not saying pull for bama by any means. I have always liked ole miss (go to a non vols game and you would too) and I don't have an issue with wanting Arkansas, miss st, and even lsu to win against the domers.jmo.

I'll root for Bama to beat Ohio St., but only because I hate Ohio sports in general.
But, I will NOT root for FL.
And I don't care if Miami beats SC.
I hope GA and MO lose, too.

Reactions: 1 person
Why the hell would you cheer for other teams in the SEC that recruit the same players as us? We want them to lose. It's in Tennessees best interest for the rest of SEC to lose. Yall have fun cheering for Bama while they rake in another dozen 5 star athletes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
OP, you will NEVER, EVER convince the folks here that don't believe in the conference pride crap to start rooting for Florida, Bama, etc. Why not quit with the straw man arguments and just let people say their piece.

Reactions: 2 people
Just no. I was always an sec supporter but, yeah no. We recruited well before the sec became "the conference" and still do.
Sorry but encouraging Bama and helping grow the rest of the competition has shown 0 positive results.
No debate left for me at this point.
"Buck Fama!"
You must not know much before 1980. The SEC has been the best conference from it's inception.

it's always been the best. Every once in awhile there has been a team or two better than the best in the SEC but from top to bottom the SEC has ALWAYS been the best.

All Tennessee fans (and all other SEC team fans) should be for the SEC in every bowl game. The exception might be Florida and Vandy when they are in bowls. (Why is Vandy in the SEC?)

This is somewhat of the South against the rest. Because the rest of the country hates the South and the SEC.

Southern pride, morals, and tradition need to prevail!!

Go SEC!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I do like Arkansas. Everybody else can lose and I hope Oregon wins it all! Wouldn't it be cool if Tennessee was the only SEC team to win their bowl?

Reactions: 2 people
Aside from the Vols I'll be pulling for LSU because of Chavis and SCjr because they're playing the U, I hope the rest of the SEC goes winless. Well I'd be ok with Arkansas beating Texas.

It is no secret that the SEC is the most dominant conference is football. When you win this many championships in a row, it tends to leave little doubt.

I would never pull for Alabama or Florida under any circumstance. However in the other bowl games I may pull for an SEC team depending on the opponent. For example, my hate for Notre Dame is greater than my disdain for LSU.

There may be a couple of other games that I'll find myself pulling for an SEC team but the odds are pretty slim.

Reactions: 3 people
You'd rather go 6-6 in a conference of post-season losers than post-season winners?

Explain why please.

Not to agree completely but if Tennessee were the only SEC team win to get a post season win, they would get talked about everytime the bowl results were discussed.

I never pull for Bama, Florida, and Vandy made the list since Dooley. Anyone else and it depends on who they play.

We recruit and play against the SEC, why on earth would people want to pull for them to win? In fact, why would anyone pull for anyone but UT in any facet of being a fan, if they are a UT fan? I've never understood that logic. The better the SEC, the harder it is to recruit against the teams you play in conference for the best players.

I only pull against Bama Georgia and Florida, as you would expect. I like the SEC style of play. I like watching LSU play, Arkansas was fun and loved when Miss St was kicking butt. I also know I'm npt watching overrates garbage like OSU used to be, or these big offenses shut down when they play an actual defense.
So its not I pull forr the SEC but J do really like most of the teams. If I wasn't a UT fan I would still pull for an SEC team.

I guess, in the end, it comes down to what you want more.
Build up the competition, so you you can say "look who we lost to!"
Or, remain equal and say, "Look at our record".
Personally, I like winning.
If Bama lost the seccg, the sec would have 0 reps in the championship game. Meanwhile, Baylor and TCU fought over being reps. It seems obvious that importance is being placed on record, not conference. At least within the power five.

Tell that to 12-0 FSU

I'll cheer for the SEC this year EXCEPT Florida, UGA, and Bama. May they all experience demoralizing losses.

UT always first! LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St, KY, Candy, UGA when they are not playing UT. Other folks UT beat third. Bama, Auburn and Florida only when they are playing a team I don't like more like Ohio State. I do not buy the argument that Bama winning all the time helps UT. I typically pull for the underdog. I have good friends who root for other teams but, very few of them actually went to one of those SEC schools and it is like jumping on the bandwagon. Once Bama, Auburn, start losing, the fan gear goes in the garbage.

VN Store

Back