Annual "You should pull for the SEC, it helps Tennessee" debate

I don't think anyone wants to be in a crap conference, but they don't want get crapped on in a good one either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
NOT pulling for Bama, FL, UGA under ANY circumstances!

So by this logic, if Tennessee is #5 and it's the last week of the season, and #1, #2, and #3 all won their game, so we need #4 to lose. And #4 is playing against UF, you wouldn't pull for UF to win? Even though it would mean Tennessee gets in?

Reactions: 3 people
I guess, in the end, it comes down to what you want more.
Build up the competition, so you you can say "look who we lost to!"
Or, remain equal and say, "Look at our record".
Personally, I like winning.
If Bama lost the seccg, the sec would have 0 reps in the championship game. Meanwhile, Baylor and TCU fought over being reps. It seems obvious that importance is being placed on record, not conference. At least within the power five.

So by this logic, if Tennessee is #5 and it's the last week of the season, and #1, #2, and #3 all won their game, so we need #4 to lose. And #4 is playing against UF, you wouldn't pull for UF to win? Even though it would mean Tennessee gets in?

Under the new system, having lost to UF, we probably would never be #5. However, this is exactly how Baylor and TCU played out and they both were removed. Not a good example.

Reactions: 3 people
Come on now, you bama haters know good and well you'll be saying roll tide deep inside while they're whipping OSU, and the ducks!

I guess, in the end, it comes down to what you want more.
Build up the competition, so you you can say "look who we lost to!"
Or, remain equal and say, "Look at our record".
Personally, I like winning.
If Bama lost the seccg, the sec would have 0 reps in the championship game. Meanwhile, Baylor and TCU fought over being reps. It seems obvious that importance is being placed on record, not conference. At least within the power five.

How? The team with the best record is #3, not #1.

And the remaining teams all the way from #1 to #6 have the same record. The Big 12 was weak this year, even weaker than the Big 10 (in the eyes of the SOS rankings at least). Hence the two 1-loss Big 12 winners didn't get in.

I bet they wish their conference would have been a bit stronger this year..........................

If LSU or MSU or Ole Miss is playing sure... I don't mind seeing them dominate some big 10 team.

As for Alabama, Florida, and Georgia? Never. NC included.

The only teams I actively root for this time of year is Duke (CDC sole reason), MTSU, any military school, and any team Mike Leach coaches for the troll job.

Under the new system, having lost to UF, we probably would never be #5. However, this is exactly how Baylor and TCU played out and they both were removed. Not a good example.

Why did you assume we lost to UF? This is a hypothetical, I'm not sure I understand.

Come on now, you bama haters know good and well you'll be saying roll tide deep inside while they're whipping OSU, and the ducks!

If I ever said ro... (Sorry, just can't even pretend)
My ancestors would reach from the grave and remove my lungs.
Politic as much as anyone may want to, as a diehard vol, those words will never leave these lips.

Why did you assume we lost to UF? This is a hypothetical, I'm not sure I understand.

Maybe I misunderstood. I assumed you were speaking in a playoff scenerio. If UF were ahead of us, then they most likely won the head to head between us.

You'd rather go 6-6 in a conference of post-season losers than post-season winners?

Explain why please.

I can give the explanation for me.
I am a spiteful and vindictive a-hole towards any SEC not named Tennessee.
Is it rational? Probably not.
Do I care? Not one damn bit.

Reactions: 12 people
How? The team with the best record is #3, not #1.

And the remaining teams all the way from #1 to #6 have the same record. The Big 12 was weak this year, even weaker than the Big 10 (in the eyes of the SOS rankings at least). Hence the two 1-loss Big 12 winners didn't get in.

I bet they wish their conference would have been a bit stronger this year..........................

What????
FSU is in only because of their record.
In the SEC, I firmly believe they would be defeated and out...
To be in, they would have to have beaten Bama and most of the rest of the sec.
Please explain to me how you believe they would be undefeated and #3 in the sec? But yet they are in the acc?

Maybe I misunderstood. I assumed you were speaking in a playoff scenerio. If UF were ahead of us, then they most likely won the head to head between us.

No. I'm saying we're #5. Let's just say #4 is FSU and they are playing the last game of the season against UF. We need UF to knock them off. You're still pulling the pointless "I will NEVER root for another SEC team ever!!!" card in that scenario?

No. I'm saying we're #5. Let's just say #4 is FSU and they are playing the last game of the season against UF. We need UF to knock them off. You're still pulling the pointless "I will NEVER root for another SEC team ever!!!" card in that scenario?

#1. That was someone elses comment, not mine.
I said I wasn't pulling for the sec just because they are the sec.
#2 I defer to the "I hope a meteor strikes them both and everyone loses" theory.
#3. You are cherry picking phrases. I asked a direct question. We have SEC east champs not even in consideration, but weaker conference members are battling for justice due to their record.
Answer, would you rather be battling or whining about the talent we lost to?

What????
FSU is in only because of their record.
In the SEC, I firmly believe they would be defeated and out...
To be in, they would have to have beaten Bama and most of the rest of the sec.
Please explain to me how you believe they would be undefeated and #3 in the sec? But yet they are in the acc?

Again.... I just don't understand where you are getting that I said FSU would be undefeated and #3 in the SEC.

#1. That was someone elses comment, not mine.
I said I wasn't pulling for the sec just because they are the sec.
#2 I defer to the "I hope a meteor strikes them both and everyone loses" theory.
#3. You are cherry picking phrases. I asked a direct question. We have SEC east champs not even in consideration, but weaker conference members are battling for justice due to their record.
Answer, would you rather be battling or whining about the talent we lost to?

#1. What are you talking about?? That was clearly a conversation between you and I.

#2. Easy cop-out when you don't have an answer.

#3. In regards to your question, those are not the only 2 scenarios. I would rather be among the Bamas/Oregons of the world. Winning, and doing so against good teams.

I do NOT want to be like the 2012 Notre Dames of the world, coasting by on sissy teams and then getting all the way to the championship just to get humiliated and remembered as the team that never belonged there.

IMO I cheer for every team we play to win every game except when we play them. And most of those happen to be SEC schools. Example: UT beat Butler in basketball. I want Butler to win the rest of the year every game. It's common sense to me. But I'd rather Bama win than FSU. I root for the SEC and it's second nature. I don't root for the players or coaches. I root for the SEC. It's like fighting for a spot in championship with your brother. If you're not there you are going to cheer for your brother even though you wish it was you instead. Just my opinion though

Reactions: 2 people
IMO I cheer for every team we play to win every game except when we play them. And most of those happen to be SEC schools. Example: UT beat Butler in basketball. I want Butler to win the rest of the year every game. It's common sense to me. But I'd rather Bama win than FSU. I root for the SEC and it's second nature. I don't root for the players or coaches. I root for the SEC. It's like fighting for a spot in championship with your brother. If you're not there you are going to cheer for your brother even though you wish it was you instead. Just my opinion though

That's a good point too. I've been a huge Utah State fan ever since the end of our game. Arky State as well, same concept as my SEC fanhood.

#1. What are you talking about?? That was clearly a conversation between you and I.

#2. Easy cop-out when you don't have an answer.

#3. In regards to your question, those are not the only 2 scenarios. I would rather be among the Bamas/Oregons of the world. Winning, and doing so against good teams.

I do NOT want to be like the 2012 Notre Dames of the world, coasting by on sissy teams and then getting all the way to the championship just to get humiliated and remembered as the team that never belonged there.

#1" Originally Posted by millst987
I will never root for another SEC team"

Please tell me you notice the difference in screen names genius.

#2 it was a joke, please pull your G string out of that uptight humorless azz of yours.

#3 Oregon is not SEC... That is the exact point!!!!
I would rather be the ducks and be in consideration than chant
"We lost a lot, BUT IT WAS IN THE SEC! BY GAWD"

Not no but hell no! Not in this world, an alternate world or under any circumstance would I pull for Alabama to win! Anything! Not even horseshoes! You can put me in the Doyle Hargraves camp when it comes to how I feel about the rest of the SEC!

Sorry bro. Even if our getting into the playoff hinged on an Alabama win, I would still never pull for Alabama! EVER!

Reactions: 2 people
#1" Originally Posted by millst987
I will never root for another SEC team"

Please tell me you notice the difference in screen names genius.

Since you don't know how to bold which part of my post you're replying to (genius) I didn't know you meant the "never root for an SEC team" thing was someone else's comment. I thought you were saying my whole reply was to someone else's comment.

#2 it was a joke, please pull your G string out of that uptight humorless azz of yours.

Yeah we're done here. I always enjoy a good debate, I just need a competent poster to debate with.

Last edited:
Nope! You could waterboard me (figure of speech to illustrate my hatred of Alabama, yes I am aware that in reality even the toughest of men break during waterboarding) and I still wouldn't!

VN Store

Back