Alabama - 1 penalty 5 yards

Team came out flat second half totally lost their aggression. I will say, one or two no calls can shape a game.

I agree but you have to call games the same way for both teams. Burton was "held" but Squirrel was not on 4th and 10? Call if on both teams. Still love these guys and what coach JH is building here.

We got jobbed badly.

Dont get me wrong...Sloppy Joe just isnt bright enough to be a good QB....with just average SEC QB play by him all year we would be undefeated right now...but the refs in this game were disgraceful.

This is a bridge year though...rational fans predicted 9-3 or 8-4 and we are right on track to finish that way.

Reactions: adam.vol
I mean, that ref took the ball right out of Milton's hands and gave it to the Bama defender to run into the end zone. And the ref also swatted the ball out of some of the receivers hands on a few passes, and also tied Warren's shoes together so his vertical was probably a negative 18".

Yeah, those dang refs, if it wasn't for them, and ESPN, and Gary, and Sankey, and blah blah blah....UT would be celebrating another natty this year.

The rule is that if another player, other than the one that catches the kickoff, signals for a fair catch, the ball is dead where it is caught. But I didn’t see a fair catch signal given.
What about the several other times afterward when Williams called it and Seldon caught it. I think it happened on every kick

Reactions: vols40
Strongly disagree that the whistle was better than those games. Either way, when two teams have even talent/ability, the refs make the difference, as they did here.
We lost because we gave up 27 straight points. If we hadn't choked inside the 10-yard line twice in the 1st half it probably wouldn't have mattered. We had some truly awful calls in USCjr/TAMU that directly affected the score. There was only 1 egregious no-call in today's game and it was the hold on Baron.

Reactions: posivol
They hold all the time and they also get no PI calls when they do something worse than we did yet they call PI on us. I’m tired of the biased refs. It’s one thing if they call the game down the middle or if TN would ever have a big game where the calls go our way, but we never do

Get these geriatric idiots off the field and replace them with younger guys, or better yet just call the game using technology instead of relying on these ancient relics
This is the story of this game. Should raise everyone's eyebrows

1 penalty in a collegiate football game

Reactions: posivol
The rule is that if another player, other than the one that catches the kickoff, signals for a fair catch, the ball is dead where it is caught. But I didn’t see a fair catch signal given.
We make that same gesture with our arms extended out and fists clenched on every kickoff we let go or fair catch. Williams definitely did that on that play.

We make that same gesture with our arms extended out and fists clenched on every kickoff we let go or fair catch. Williams definitely did that on that play.
I’m not saying that it was as a good call. I’m just explaining the rule. I said in my post that I didn’t see a fair catch signal given.

Reactions: Volwonder1
I agree but you have to call games the same way for both teams. Burton was "held" but Squirrel was not on 4th and 10? Call if on both teams. Still love these guys and what coach JH is building here.
We’re on the same page. Unfortunately it never happens. There is a reason every SEC team hates bama, cause everyone has to play 11 v 11+refs there. We could’ve done better though.

Reactions: vols40
The "fair catch" was the turning point. If it's a fair catch inside the 25, it goes to the 25. Did they call it delay of game?
It was the right call. Dee Williams gave the fair catch signal, Seldon caught it and took off running. It's the same penalty as a punt returner signaling fair catch and then running.

Reactions: joevols89
We got jobbed badly.

Dont get me wrong...Sloppy Joe just isnt bright enough to be a good QB....with just average SEC QB play by him all year we would be undefeated right now...but the refs in this game were disgraceful.

This is a bridge year though...rational fans predicted 9-3 or 8-4 and we are right on track to finish that way.
Joe actually played decently today imo, he missed a few on him but I felt several were missed because of the CB holds that were uncalled

His arms may have raised slightly, but that was nowhere even near horizontal, much less over his head. Maybe be I never saw the actual replay of the signal.

I mean, that ref took the ball right out of Milton's hands and gave it to the Bama defender to run into the end zone. And the ref also swatted the ball out of some of the receivers hands on a few passes, and also tied Warren's shoes together so his vertical was probably a negative 18".

Yeah, those dang refs, if it wasn't for them, and ESPN, and Gary, and Sankey, and blah blah blah....UT would be celebrating another natty this year.
Very good point. We definitely made our mistakes.

I’m not saying that it was as a good call. I’m just explaining the rule. I said in my post that I didn’t see a fair catch signal given.
And I'm saying it is a form of a fair catch call since refs probably saw we do it every kickoff we let go so that's why likely why it was called

His arms may have raised slightly, but that was nowhere even near horizontal, much less over his head. Maybe be I never saw the actual replay of the signal.
I don't believe you have to make a gesture over your head but I could be wrong.

I didn't at first but they showed it later on. It's not the traditional wave like a punt, instead they hold their arms out to the side at a 45 degree angle. Dee Williams definitely made that signal.

The refs sucked tonight no question but that one unfortunately was legit.

We lost because we gave up 27 straight points. If we hadn't choked inside the 10-yard line twice in the 1st half it probably wouldn't have mattered. We had some truly awful calls in USCjr/TAMU that directly affected the score. There was only 1 egregious no-call in today's game and it was the hold on Baron.
Did you miss the holds on our WRs and defensive PIs? They called those against us. An automatic first down turns drives into touchdowns, touchdowns we sorely needed

VN Store

Back