AJC article on Dooley recruiting

I just don't understand this crap. It goes on everywhere. Why is it making newspapers just because Tennessee is doing it too? There are some people with some deep rooted hate for Tennessee. They want to keep Tennessee as far down as they can apparently.

Really doesn't have anything to do with Dooley, this shouldn't be making it into the news.

All of this crap is coming from Ala alum and fans. They still hate Fulmer and UT for getting put on probation before even though is was totally Ala's fault. The media in Ala even tried to get Cameron Clear to go to another school beside UT. No media outlets said anything about that even though it was true.

Funny how everyone was on Kiffin's side for doing this and showing his ass to the media. Because if it gaves us negative attention, it still gave us attention. Now it's Dooley and the tune changes???? Double standard.

Kiffin > Dooley. Just sayin'

Yet, you kept one that got caught having sex on campus because you really wanted him. Shut Up and get off the moral high ground shat.

A high school kid getting special attention at his HS. You're right, he should be doing some time for that.

Kiffin > Dooley. Just sayin'

Recruiting wise? Kiffin's 09 class was a complete bust though much of that is on Fulmer. He made a good contribution to the 10 class but Dooley gets at least partial credit for finishing it off. Since then, Dooley has been able to get a lot of talent without the media circus. He actually believes UT is a good product to sell that doesn't need gimmicks. Kiffin believed the only way to get championship players to UT was to "trick" them with hype and promises of the NFL. He also thought he had to "bend" and even break NCAA rules. In short, he thought UT was so lousy that no one would sign for real reasons.

Coaching wise. I'm no more impressed by 7-6 with a team that had 10+ players that would be in the NFL within 2 years than 5-7 with a team that had maybe 3 or 4.

If it is just your personal preference... then I can't explain why someone would prefer a disloyal jerk that had no respect for UT or its traditions and who always saw it as a stepping stone... over a guy who has nothing but respect for UT football and considers K'ville a "destination".

I think what you're seeing here is that Dooley needed a couple of players to get the recruiting going. Think of it as a bartender putting his own dollar in the tip jar to get it started. Then when others start putting tips in you take your money out. Well that's exactly what's happened here. Now that we have a good class it's time to trim the fat and try to add a couple of more quality guys.

Nothing wrong with that. If this will better UT then I'm all for it.

192 lbs for an LB. That's a bit low.

Maybe Dooley shoulda thought of that before he "offered" this kid) and took him off the table, at least in this kid's mind, long ago. For those upset with Arnett, what is the difference? Beofore you go off on a "Arnett made a committment to UT" rant, please keep in mind that the scholarships are for only for one year at a time, renewable annually at the whim of the school.

Last edited:
Just creating some space...not a part of the process that anyone enjoys however that is the way it works these days.

25 fish limit and the live well is full. Mr Game Warden is in sight. So you slide a couple of the little fellows back into the water. There are two whales behind that stump over yonder.

I think what you're seeing here is that Dooley needed a couple of players to get the recruiting going. Think of it as a bartender putting his own dollar in the tip jar to get it started. Then when others start putting tips in you take your money out. Well that's exactly what's happened here. Now that we have a good class it's time to trim the fat and try to add a couple of more quality guys.

Nothing wrong with that. If this will better UT then I'm all for it.

Nothing wrong with playin' fast and loose with the futures of high school kids???? uh, OK.

Recruiting wise? Kiffin's 09 class was a complete bust though much of that is on Fulmer. He made a good contribution to the 10 class but Dooley gets at least partial credit for finishing it off. Since then, Dooley has been able to get a lot of talent without the media circus. He actually believes UT is a good product to sell that doesn't need gimmicks. Kiffin believed the only way to get championship players to UT was to "trick" them with hype and promises of the NFL. He also thought he had to "bend" and even break NCAA rules. In short, he thought UT was so lousy that no one would sign for real reasons.

Coaching wise. I'm no more impressed by 7-6 with a team that had 10+ players that would be in the NFL within 2 years than 5-7 with a team that had maybe 3 or 4.

If it is just your personal preference... then I can't explain why someone would prefer a disloyal jerk that had no respect for UT or its traditions and who always saw it as a stepping stone... over a guy who has nothing but respect for UT football and considers K'ville a "destination".

Never said I preferred him or liked him. He's a better recruiter and coach is all I'm saying

Reactions: 1 person
Nothing wrong with playin' fast and loose with the futures of high school kids???? uh, OK.

Not saying that at all. It would be different if UT did this as a joke. Most kids that are offered by UT have other options. When a school pulls an offer that simply allows the kid to go to another school that's been pursuing him. Now if we did this as a joke to some kid who had no other offers then it would be a different story.

But I understand your point.

This is all true Lane Kiffin was a JERK, A** Hole, spoil brat and all that but to be honest he coached those NFL player up man and he has had more success that CDD in his short career. Im a vol fan just like you but Lane Kiffin just had more experienced not more talent he had 10 NFL player go well this Team might have everyone on both sides of the ball go to the NFL at least the 19 returning starters

Not saying that at all. It would be different if UT did this as a joke. Most kids that are offered by UT have other options. When a school pulls an offer that simply allows the kid to go to another school that's been pursuing him. Now if we did this as a joke to some kid who had no other offers then it would be a different story.

But I understand your point.

I understand yours as well. These are 17-18 year olds who get stars in their eyes when an SEC coach paints for them a mental picture of themselves running through the "T" in front of 100,000 adoring fans. Once we "offer", they often burn bridges or fail to do the research necessary to "cover their bases" if the "offer" falls apart somewhere down the line. While technically, such an "offer" is not enforceable, it is a shame when stuff like this happens. Dooley surely is not the only one who doses this, and while it is legally defensible, moral right and legal right are not always the same.

Pick and choose.....pick and choose.......happens at UGA also

I enjoy all of your posts on this site, you provide some of the best ones. You're stretching for an argument against Christian Lemay. Do you know what really happened in his case?

I understand yours as well. These are 17-18 year olds who get stars in their eyes when an SEC coach paints for them a mental picture of themselves running through the "T" in front of 100,000 adoring fans. Once we "offer", they often burn bridges or fail to do the research necessary to "cover their bases" if the "offer" falls apart somewhere down the line. While technically, such an "offer" is not enforceable, it is a shame when stuff like this happens. Dooley surely is not the only one who doses this, and while it is legally defensible, moral right and legal right are not always the same.

This ain't the local travel team there Alice.

The same people would be complaining if he kept Cross and Henderson but had to pass on better players like Q Davis, McCullers, Bourque and others that are not even on our radar screen. Would Henderson ever see the field with AJ, Maggit, Santos, Peters, Harris and others? DD and Wilcox want big and fast LBs and there are several out there that fits the need. A case could be made that Henderson should have never been offered, but maybe the recruiting momentum is better now than then. Henderson will be much better off going where he can play. Tough love can be tough, but is best.

Well, it really does not matter what JCW or CPS want, They are supposedly headed to UW.

This is all true Lane Kiffin was a JERK, A** Hole, spoil brat and all that but to be honest he coached those NFL player up man and he has had more success that CDD in his short career. Im a vol fan just like you but Lane Kiffin just had more experienced not more talent he had 10 NFL player go well this Team might have everyone on both sides of the ball go to the NFL at least the 19 returning starters

Kiffin's players who went to the NFL were recruited by Fulmer and played for Kiffin for 1 season. How many Kiffin recruits even remain on the team? Your argument doesn't make sense.

Funny how everyone was on Kiffin's side for doing this and showing his ass to the media. Because if it gaves us negative attention, it still gave us attention. Now it's Dooley and the tune changes???? Double standard.

The only thing kiffin really did was call out other coaches, and sorry if its tough on your boy Dooley right now I think you guys get so mad when people call him out is because you know his days here are numbered and that makes you sad. Funny you guys all want arnett to hold up his end of the deal but its ok when Dooley doesn't have to hold up his end of the deal on an offer

Signs that Dooley is on the hot seat - programs put conditions on releasing players all the time, but Yahoo has a front page story when Dooley does it. Programs ask recruits to decommit all the time, but AJC has an article when Dooley does it.

Whether you think Dooley is going to have success at UT or not, it seems like the media views him as an easy target to pick on because his record suggests he's not ready for the job. He needs to win big in 2012 to change perceptions (and keep his job).

Don't you know that the AJC staff are a bunch of UGA homers? If they can do ANYTHING to hinder CDD's raids on talent in Georgia they will do it! :salute:

Never said I preferred him or liked him. He's a better recruiter and coach is all I'm saying

Yeah...just how many of LK's recruits are still here and contributing? ...and that coaching gem against UCLA is one for the ages...:salute:

I am amazed at the number of people that think they know more about coaching than the people that are hired to coach.

Do you ask a lawyer to wire your house for you? Think about it.

VN Store

Back