AJC article on Dooley recruiting

I'm pretty sure most people just want to complain. DD is doing the right thing. I don't really care about ratings, but when a guy has a offer list of Air Force, Tenn. Tech, etc that worries me. DD knows how to recruit. I just think, as it's already been stated, that he now knows what it's going to take to win in the SEC. Maggit and AJ are the type of LB we have to have. A LB that's 205 better be a heck of a pass rusher or he's going to get man handled in the SEC. Henderson doesn't have the intangibles that makes me think he's anything more then a second/third string back in the SEC for the next few years. Judging talent is hard. You can worship Rivals, 247, etc but the way I look at it is this, if great teams want him then he's probably worth getting. If you see a guy who's a LB that weighs 230 and runs a 4.5 40 you would probably take a look at him no matter the circumstance. My point is, we need guys who can play Wilcox's system and still compete in the SEC. We need some big boys. We need some big DT and LB to fill the holes on defense. I don't care if they are 3 star players or 5 star players, we just need some big guys who can play ball and can learn and get better.

He better land some big commits between now and SD. If not, he is going to look like a fool for releasing guys and then not catching bigger fish. Of course some of us already think he is a fool.

Yeah.... and most of us are already pretty sure that you are.

If he had hung on to this kid who looks like a good "project" type of player but nonetheless a project while letting someone as SEC ready as the Brown kid from MS go... you'd try to hammer him for that too.

That kind of inconsistency just shows your whole position to be irrational hate.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm pretty sure most people just want to complain. DD is doing the right thing. I don't really care about ratings, but when a guy has a offer list of Air Force, Tenn. Tech, etc that worries me. DD knows how to recruit. I just think, as it's already been stated, that he now knows what it's going to take to win in the SEC. Maggit and AJ are the type of LB we have to have. A LB that's 205 better be a heck of a pass rusher or he's going to get man handled in the SEC. Henderson doesn't have the intangibles that makes me think he's anything more then a second/third string back in the SEC for the next few years. Judging talent is hard. You can worship Rivals, 247, etc but the way I look at it is this, if great teams want him then he's probably worth getting. If you see a guy who's a LB that weighs 230 and runs a 4.5 40 you would probably take a look at him no matter the circumstance. My point is, we need guys who can play Wilcox's system and still compete in the SEC. We need some big boys. We need some big DT and LB to fill the holes on defense. I don't care if they are 3 star players or 5 star players, we just need some big guys who can play ball and can learn and get better.
he should have done the right thing 2 months ago not a month before this kid is supposed to sign a letter of intent

Signs that Dooley is on the hot seat - programs put conditions on releasing players all the time, but Yahoo has a front page story when Dooley does it. Programs ask recruits to decommit all the time, but AJC has an article when Dooley does it.

Whether you think Dooley is going to have success at UT or not, it seems like the media views him as an easy target to pick on because his record suggests he's not ready for the job. He needs to win big in 2012 to change perceptions (and keep his job).
Not that I don't agree with Dooley to an extent with his handling of the media but he has always been a pompous ass with the media especially the local media and had a closed door policy. You can go that route when you win but when your losing they are going to kick you in the teeth. If he wins it solves everything though.

It kills me that Dooley gets this kind of attention when being honest to a recruit, meanwhile guys like Saban and Meyer flat out lie to recruits and cut them from the roster after a year and nothing is reported.

WTH. Dooley is being honest.

One of these things is not like the others.

he should have done the right thing 2 months ago not a month before this kid is supposed to sign a letter of intent

DD may have not known the players he could reach out and get 2 months ago. Does it look good? No, it looks dirty on DD's part. Was it the right thing? Yes, it was. Why cut him 2 months ago if we didn't think we could get anything better?

Yup once again its not that Dooley did it, its how he did it

Nope. Every good recruiter does it... and does it pretty much the same way. Just an easy target for a reporter to pick on.... plus plenty of jerks here that will pile on regardless.

This same Fiji used to say that Dooley only recruited 3* players and crap like that. Now that he drops a 3* apparently because a better prospect is on the line... well Fiji finds that convenient too. It doesn't really matter what DD does. Fiji will find a way to spin it to fit the conclusion he's already drawn.

Reactions: 2 people
DD may have not known the players he could reach out and get 2 months ago. Does it look good? No, it looks dirty on DD's part. Was it the right thing? Yes, it was. Why cut him 2 months ago if we didn't think we could get anything better?

We can twist this thing all day and to everyone outside Tennessee this is another negative reflection on Dooley. It looks bad really bad on dooleys part.

I have been watching recruiting for several years. This is common place. Not only is it commonplace... some coaches drop recruits just before NSD if they get a better player to commit to them. It isn't pretty but a coach's job isn't to protect everyone's "feelings". His job is to get the best players he can for the program.

Nope. Every good recruiter does it... and does it pretty much the same way. Just an easy target for a reporter to pick on.... plus plenty of jerks here that will pile on regardless.

This same Fiji used to say that Dooley only recruited 3* players and crap like that. Now that he drops a 3* apparently because a better prospect is on the line... well Fiji finds that convenient too. It doesn't really matter what DD does. Fiji will find a way to spin it to fit the conclusion he's already drawn.
He's an easy target because he is a coach at a high profile program in the sec and he's on the hot seat for next year so yea the media is going to jump him every chance they get

We can twist this thing all day and to everyone outside Tennessee this is another negative reflection on Dooley. It looks bad really bad on dooleys part.

Winning cures all.

And that's what CDD is trying to do. If we win big next yr it will all be ok

Henderson at 205 & climbing. Vols don't have LB with speed. Remember Kiffin telling Tajh Boyd to look elsewhere then signing Simms.

He's a good "project" type of player. He'll develop into a good SEC LB in 2-4 years more than likely. If most of the people taking shots at DD over this get their way... DD wouldn't be around to see him play. He needs guys that are as close as possible to contributing as first year players.

This kid might play for a lower tier SEC team next year. Probably not... but possible. He will not play at anything like a top tier SEC level. He has talent but he's raw. We pretty much all agree that Dooley has to start competing with the top tier teams or else he's in trouble. This kid would not help.

Reactions: 2 people
I have been watching recruiting for several years. This is common place. Not only is it commonplace... some coaches drop recruits just before NSD if they get a better player to commit to them. It isn't pretty but a coach's job isn't to protect everyone's "feelings". His job is to get the best players he can for the program.

Im not saying he's wrong especially if there is a bigger recruit on the line but this doesn't look good to the public eye, it doesn't matter what we think what matters is what the media is reporting on these 2 latest incidents and Dooley hasnt come out of hiding since the Kentucky game to even defend his self or this programs image in the past week

I feel for the kid too but, in about a month on NSD none of this will matter and you'll all be happy with the replacements for these guys.

This IS a dirty part of recruiting but it is necessary so I support it. My biggest worry is that bridges are being burned.

What do we know about Cross and Henderson's hs programs? Are they programs we worry about being shut out of?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Im not saying he's wrong especially if there is a bigger recruit on the line but this doesn't look good to the public eye, it doesn't matter what we think what matters is what the media is reporting on these 2 latest incidents and Dooley hasnt come out of hiding since the Kentucky game to even defend his self or this programs image in the past week

Funny how everyone was on Kiffin's side for doing this and showing his ass to the media. Because if it gaves us negative attention, it still gave us attention. Now it's Dooley and the tune changes???? Double standard.

Have you seen the list. There was a guy who got into a fight with a teacher. There was another guy that was arrested for stealing from our players.

Yet, you kept one that got caught having sex on campus because you really wanted him. Shut Up and get off the moral high ground shat.

You did read the article, right? Dooley has been repeatedly telling Khalid that he may not be a part of this class for a while now. It was Khalid's decision to wait until a month before NSD to make a public decommitment. He's had much more heads up than a month.

EDIT: Article says he got the heads up in early December, so he really got 2 months. I'd say that's a good amount of time to contact coaching staffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

What's he supposed to do... run Arnett down? What would be the "right" thing to say about a kid who betrays HIS COMMITMENT then runs off at the mouth when his options for leaving were limited? UT... and I suspect Hart was in full agreement or it wouldn't have happened... is 100% right in the Arnett deal. Arnett even had plenty of reason to KNOW that if he did this that he wouldn't just go wherever he wanted. Douglas had been sent to AZ because UT wouldn't release him freely BEFORE Arnett signed KNOWING that his father had health issues.

What more do you want said about the UK game? If he points out that Bray was sick and not fully recovered from his thumb... then he's attacked for making excuses.

So what's he supposed to say about this kid? What he can even say about the kid's talent is limited by NCAA rules. He can't say the obvious: "We dropped him because we think we have better players in line". That MIGHT be a violation and would only make things worse.

Although I would selfishly like to know more about what is going on... I understand why Dooley manages the media the way he does. To be open with them and control the message would take time away from the only task that will save his job anyway: winning. He doesn't trust them... because they can't be trusted, duh. Rebuilding a program is messy. Things happen. Coaches get cut. Players leave. Recruits get passed over for better recruits. Please sit back for just a few minutes and think it through... do you REALLY expect it to be different?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back