Aja Wilson Visit.

If you are good, you can be a star on any team--whether it is the Citadel or UT. We've had plenty of stars at UT--and they played on very good teams. This notion that she wouldn't get enough recognition at UT, or that she needed to go to a lesser program to stand out--is astoundingly stupid, if that in fact was the Mom's reason for opposing UT.

+1 to this. Ask Parker, Holdsclaw, or Catchings about being a star at UT. You just have to be a special player to be a star at UT.

Whether or not that was the reason is conjecture, but it seems pretty flawed because you're:

(1) Conceding you can't be a star at UT
(2) Conceding it's a bad thing to not be a star at UT - Kellie Jolly got 3 championships, a degree, and is now getting paid as a basketball coach. That's a pretty good life for not being a "star" if you ask me.
(3) Conceding it's better to be a star on an inferior team versus a role player on a superior team. It's a team sport. The object is to win and win championships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I promise you, it was the reason. She didn't want Kaela to share the spotlight with anyone. She also wanted to dictate who TN recruited around Kaela i.e. offering Kristina Nelson (who went to ND) over Mercedes (the #1 player in the class).

She moved Kaela from Norcross to Buford HS so she didn't have to be on the same HS team as Diamond Deshields. Kaela is an AMAZING player, with tons of God given talent. It's too bad people won't get to see her on the national stage, because GT is going to be behind ND, Duke, UNC, & NC State while she is in college.
The sour grapes here are amazing. Kayla said she chose Georgia Tech because of the engineering program, the basketball program and the school's location. Why can't people here believe her? There are other things in life except basketball, and if Kayla wants to play ball or be an engineer after college, I don't see her having a problem coming out of GT.

Reactions: 1 person
The sour grapes here are amazing. Kayla said she chose Georgia Tech because of the engineering program, the basketball program and the school's location. Why can't people here believe her? There are other things in life except basketball, and if Kayla wants to play ball or be an engineer after college, I don't see her having a problem coming out of GT.

It's not sour grapes, it's the truth. People behind the scenes know the truth about what happened. If you don't want to read the truth, you can skip to the next thread.

It's not sour grapes, it's the truth. People behind the scenes know the truth about what happened. If you don't want to read the truth, you can skip to the next thread.
I see, people behind the scenes are the ultimate source. Better to received info from them than from Kayla herself. Perhaps you can provide names and contact info for your credible sources?

Again, we can argue back on forth and it's just conjecture. Only Kaela and a handful of people close to her know. I'm completely guessing that she'd rather be here just based on one of her comments about TN saying something to the effect it's an honor to play them or play for them or something like that coupled with GT's season.

If it's true she went there for engineering, I can totally respect that. I went to an engineering school and let me tell you, it is TOUGH to find a place you want to play sports at AND has an engineering program AND is a school you like. Unfortunately, I wasn't good enough to go to a program like Georgia Tech for baseball. Although I graduated top 10 in my class and had TWO college Calculus credits by passing the AP AB/BC exams and decent (not spectacular) ACT/SAT, I STILL didn't even get INTO John's Hopkins, although the baseball coach did like me enough to play there. For me going to a four year liberal arts school was a non-starter.

I do think sports-wise, the experience at UT would be unlike any other. There's just so much fan and media attention. Sometimes that can be a burden I suppose when you lose, but overall, it's got to be better than other places where you are just always under the radar.

Again, we can argue back on forth and it's just conjecture. Only Kaela and a handful of people close to her know. I'm completely guessing that she'd rather be here just based on one of her comments about TN saying something to the effect it's an honor to play them or play for them or something like that coupled with GT's season.

If it's true she went there for engineering, I can totally respect that. I went to an engineering school and let me tell you, it is TOUGH to find a place you want to play sports at AND has an engineering program AND is a school you like. Unfortunately, I wasn't good enough to go to a program like Georgia Tech for baseball. Although I graduated top 10 in my class and had TWO college Calculus credits by passing the AP AB/BC exams and decent (not spectacular) ACT/SAT, I STILL didn't even get INTO John's Hopkins, although the baseball coach did like me enough to play there. For me going to a four year liberal arts school was a non-starter.

I do think sports-wise, the experience at UT would be unlike any other. There's just so much fan and media attention. Sometimes that can be a burden I suppose when you lose, but overall, it's got to be better than other places where you are just always under the radar.
True. No use arguing as it is what it is. If she wanted a sports school and fame, she should have gone to Notre Dame and replaced Skylar Diggins and her millions of Twitter followers. Not a great engineering school though.

The problem with UT right now is the team is under the radar around the country except in Knoxville. The aura lost a lot when Pat left along with so many worse than usual years. If I didn't believe Kayla, I'd believe the reason she left was that Pat was not there. Let's face it. Pat was the draw.

I disagree with UT as a team being under the radar. Look at ticket sales home and away. Look at TV coverage. Look at our recruits. Look at our record. Even in the worst of times that people seem to think we've hit, we're still winning SEC regular season and tournament championships, getting ranked in the top 5/10/25, getting #1/2 seeds in the big dance, and making it to the elite 8. No program has ever or will ever IMO be as consistently good as UT. UT would have to have a tremendous fall while someone else would have to really be good for a really long time for that to happen.

Regardless of the specifics, my hunch is that if she could do it over again, she'd probably be having more fun vying for an SEC championship and a #1/#2/#3 NCAA seed rather than being on an unranked team that is tied for 6th in the ACC and will probably make the tournament, but depending on how they finish the season, not guaranteed. Maybe by her Senior year, GT will be a better contender, but I doubt it.

So, Aja has a chance to be reasonably close to home, yet play for a powerhouse at UT who has unequivocally the BEST fan base in WCBB.

A'ja has the chance to be even CLOSER to home, and yet play for a new, upcoming powerhouse at South Carolina. Doesn't UT want Wilson to play as a 4 or 5? Simmons will not want to share her area of the court with Wilson.

Can anyone imagine (for one season anyways) USC rotating 6-3 Ibiam, 6-4 Coates, and 6-4 White, while ALSO playing them along with 6-5 Wilson on the same court at the same time? Then after next season Ibiam leaves, but the others stay and play together for a total of 3 seasons? They'd have to re-write the WCBB rules for that team...

:devilsmoke:

I disagree with UT as a team being under the radar. I'll admit I was a bit harsh with the radar comment. Being 10th in the nation can't be considered under the radar. Look at ticket sales home and away. UT is tops in home attendance, but not in Away attendance. Uconn owns that one. Look at TV coverage. I don't think UT has particularly good TV coverage. What coverage is available nationwide? Look at our recruits. Highly rated but not developing well for a long time now. Look at our record. Even in the worst of times that people seem to think we've hit, we're still winning SEC regular season and tournament championships, getting ranked in the top 5/10/25, getting #1/2 seeds in the big dance, and making it to the elite 8. No program has ever or will ever IMO be as consistently good as UT. Opinions aren't valid for records. It's easy to look up, and Geno and uconn is already ahead of Pat in all-time winning percentage and other categories. Holly isn't even in the picture. Plus in National Championships Pat was 0-4 against Geno. UT would have to have a tremendous fall while someone else would have to really be good for a really long time for that to happen. Right now, there are quite a few teams that are quite good and look like they might be so for a long time. You should probably stick to the LVs past exploits.

I'm surprised to hear LV fans talk about the current situation as acceptable. It is not reasonable to expect any team to always be the best. Top 20 is more than adequate.

This is just my opinion.

Assistant Coach to great coach not = Great coach
Great Tradition + Great High School Recruits + great fans not = Great program in all instances.

Holly good coach but not great.
Recruits are good players but not performing great.
Lady Vols fans are great fans.
UConn is best WBB program right now.
South Carolina is hottest WBB program in SEC right now.

UConn has great Coach and top recruits performing well at College level. Does not mean I like Coach.
South Carolina has very good Coach and is now getting top recruits who are performing well at College level. Now this is a small window I am looking at for USC.

If I were impartial then I would not be surprised that top recruits go where they think they can be a star or win championships. Not all people and players are wired the same. Not everyone cares about tradition or fans. Some want to create something new, or become a legend or big fish in little pond or they like the school or Coach.
I watch Lady Vols religiously and I have to admit it hurts to realize we don't consistently play at a high level and I see highly touted recruits perform not well for Tennessee over their career.
Can we get back to where we were as a program? Time will tell but now we must love the players and expect they play hard and smart. We will hope that Holly and staff become better coaches. There are players who developed well and sometimes development is hampered by the player but overall I have seen several highly rated recruits not play at the same level at Tennessee over the last decade.

Why did it take Simmons over three years to understand when to take shots and how to use her speed for the good of the team? Right now Simmons is playing much better. Were we so desperate that we allowed her to continue to take ill advised shots for three years. There are others who have not performed well or just lost their confidence. At least some of this failure is on the Coaching staff.

Ignoring the reality will not make it go away. I am hoping for a team and coaching staff that plays and coaches smart and a team that plays hard and a coaching staff that develops players.
I also hope we recruit not just highly rated recruits but players with the tools to impact players at the next level and that the Lady Vols program becomes one that those teams players want to play for.

I will continue to be a Fan regardless but I hate watching other teams play and thinking "Why can't we play like that." It is good to have a place to express my opinions and read those of others.

A'ja has the chance to be even CLOSER to home, and yet play for a new, upcoming powerhouse at South Carolina. Doesn't UT want Wilson to play as a 4 or 5? Simmons will not want to share her area of the court with Wilson.

Simmons will be playing as a professional next year.

See? She's already planning to bolt for the pros, in anticipation of Wilson coming to UT. Better tell her to wait....

:)

You do know Simmons is a senior don't you? Of course, she will be somewhere next year besides playing for the Lady Vols.

Just for the record,my quote was that Simmons would be a professional next year.This was in answer to Lurker's comment about Simmons not wanting to share her spot with Wilson.So,yes,I know Simmons is a senior and,yes,I could see Wilson playing that spot.

My understanding is Wilson has to be promised the three to go to any particular school. I think all four remaining schools know this don't know if any of them have a problem with it. She is determined to play that position in college I am sure her final decision will be based on which school or schools is willing to oblige.

Umm LurkerExposed Simmons is a senior so of course she will most likely be playing pro by next year. I'm expecting Wilson to go to South Carolina i just have this feeling that she will choose them instead. South Carolina has played way better than Tennessee all year long, Dawn is doing a heck of a job over there and has them playing at an all time high level right now. They are looking to become a powerhouse team not just in the SEC but in the nation, they're already the top team in the SEC this year and will only continue to get better and better every year.

The only thing we got going is that Candace Parker is her favorite player. She even has that look when she plays.

recruit_e_wilson01jr_576.jpg

From what I have witnessed so far this season it doesn't look like she would have much trouble stepping into the #3 position on our team next year.

Reactions: 1 person
From what I have witnessed so far this season it doesn't look like she would have much trouble stepping into the #3 position on our team next year.

Agreed,Decker Moss.Also I can see her playing the same role that Candace did for our Lady Vols.Not right away,but growing into that role.

My understanding is Wilson has to be promised the three to go to any particular school. I think all four remaining schools know this don't know if any of them have a problem with it. She is determined to play that position in college I am sure her final decision will be based on which school or schools is willing to oblige.
I would think all of them would have a problem with it. Basketball isn't a sport that has specific positions that are always played like baseball. How would that arrangement work? The coach would sign a contract? If the coach said go in and play the 5, would the player refuse? How would the other players feel about it?

Let's say Mercedes gets injured and A'ja is asked to go in. Would she say, sorry, can't do it. Plus there are a lot of gray areas. Players need to be flexible.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back