Academy Awards

Hollywood movies today are all special effects blitzes. Running, jumping, chasing, explosions, last second escapes and no real story. The best stuff is on TV for sure.

Exactly, are the writers all dead?

You guys go to the ****ty movies and then complain that there are ****ty movies.

Anybody listen to Adam Carolla? I love the segment "what can't Adam complain about?"

Good to great movies in 2016 that didn't depend on running, jumping, chasing, and explosions.

The Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Hellor High Water
Sing St
The Nice Guys
Moana
Sully
Hidden Figures

That's just what comes to mind. Stop seeing ****ty movies.

Reactions: 5 people
Nobody cares about celebrity politics, why should you?

PS I don't watch because I can't stand self congratulations shows. It's boring.

Nobody cares? Celbs *****in is the #1 story on GMA every morning. Celbs are "So Brave". Gag me

I hear Lion is fantastic. I thought Sully & Deepwater Horizon were great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've been turned off by the whole movie industry for several years. Looking through Netflix the other night and 75% of the movies they have promote immorality, gay and lesbian, race mixing, sinister, politically aligned junk...

Very few wholesome, family oriented movies being put out these days...

I have neices and nephews from "race mixing" who are fantastic, wonderful humans.

I agree that most Netflix "originals" are really, really, really bad shows. I'm suprised how bad they are and modern tastes gobble it up.

Reboots and Super Hero movies sell big time. But there are a few unique quality movies out there like La La Land, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, etc. It's all about money in the end, but if you go on IMDb or any other movieish site that rates movies, there will be a few with such great reviews that might tempt you into watching it, regardless of the promotion you've seen about it. Personally, my favorite movies are usually the movies where I've never seen the trailer.

When I want to know about a movie, whether it's good or bad, I go to the "movies and music" thread here on VN and I read what other posters have said about movies. So far, I haven't been screwed over by these posted reviews from other Vol fans and have found many good movies to buy or watch TV shows that I wouldn't have payed any attention to otherwise.....fwiw.

DVR and skip 80% of it.

This. I never watch the whole thing. I was a bit of the opening, then I fast forward until award annnouncements, might stop fast forwarding for a performance if I like the performer, and I'll usually watch the actors who died that year part tonsee who died.

I've been turned off by the whole movie industry for several years. Looking through Netflix the other night and 75% of the movies they have promote immorality, gay and lesbian, race mixing, sinister, politically aligned junk...

Wait, what?

Reactions: 11 people
When I want to know about a movie, whether it's good or bad, I go to the "movies and music" thread here on VN and I read what other posters have said about movies. So far, I haven't been screwed over by these posted reviews from other Vol fans and have found many good movies to buy or watch TV shows that I wouldn't have payed any attention to otherwise.....fwiw.

Volnation Movies forum is the new IMDB

This. I never watch the whole thing. I was a bit of the opening, then I fast forward until award annnouncements, might stop fast forwarding for a performance if I like the performer, and I'll usually watch the actors who died that year part tonsee who died.

Persons who died in 2016 would take at least 30 minutes for a review of those who passed on.....so many great old & young performers.

My opinion is you wouldn't have this opinion if they shared your politics.

Probably not true. Actors doing politics, any kind, is a real turn off. Reagan made me want to puke during his first campaign, but you learn to tolerate anything.

:blink:

Post of the day.

Reactions: 3 people
You guys go to the ****ty movies and then complain that there are ****ty movies.

Anybody listen to Adam Carolla? I love the segment "what can't Adam complain about?"

Good to great movies in 2016 that didn't depend on running, jumping, chasing, and explosions.

The Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Hellor High Water
Sing St
The Nice Guys
Moana
Sully
Hidden Figures

That's just what comes to mind. Stop seeing ****ty movies.

Hidden Figures is my favorite movie of the year. Every child ought to see it. If you've got kids, neices, nephews, gather them all up and go.

If you can afford it, sponsor a Boys&Girls Club. It is a really important part of Black American history and all children should know it, especially to give all little girls confidence they can achieve anything, and that there is a growing meritocracy.

I admit I don't really care for the majority of politics in Hollywood and I think it's ridiculous that actors and others in that industry are either blackballed or have to keep silent if they have conservative views. For me it's not that they will take their shots or express their views in that forum, it's the adulation they will receive from their peers or the MSM.

It such a circle jerk, this is basically what will be a post Oscar interview -- "Oh wasn't Meryl's speech just breathtaking? I got chills. I mean how courageous of her to stand up as a female artist working in this town in times like these. Just a truly courageous and inspiring speech." What a bunch of bull****. These are the same people that criticize other millionaires for hanging out with other millionaires, but it's ok if they do it because they are "progressive" because they watched a Nat Geo documentary on a coral reef once.

Gymkata Is the worst movie ever down hands-down

Blasphemy!

gymkata4.gif

I understand why people are turned off by politically motivated speeches given at the Academy Awards (and the pompous bull s***tery on the red carpet) but I also don't think that accounts for much of what goes on. If a movie or actor/actress I really like is nominated I will usually tune in (and it's not like you have to sit through all of it, the first half hour and the last half hour catches the important stuff). I like Emma Stone and she has done an incredible number of good movies in diverse roles for a 28 year old. I hope she wins and I doubt she will get political on the podium either.

I have never watched an awards show that didn't either involve an award I was getting or watching the Vols receive their trophy while I was in the stands.

I find music/movie award shows creepy and hypocritical. Most of these tools will say they are "doing it for the art" but crave the attention and vindication of an awards show..

Reactions: 4 people
I understand why people are turned off by politically motivated speeches given at the Academy Awards (and the pompous bull s***tery on the red carpet) but I also don't think that accounts for much of what goes on. If a movie or actor/actress I really like is nominated I will usually tune in (and it's not like you have to sit through all of it, the first half hour and the last half hour catches the important stuff). I like Emma Stone and she has done an incredible number of good movies in diverse roles for a 28 year old. I hope she wins and I doubt she will get political on the podium either.

Hog summed it up best. I've never watched one of these shows and doubt I ever will.

For those of us who don't watch, most of our info about the actual show comes from the news media and their incessant fawning over whoever said something negative about conservatives.

So our impression is that must be what the show is about.

VN Store

Back