A&M (not) hiring Mark Stoops

Stoops is probably a good fit at A&M, culture wise. I have my doubts that he'll get them where they want to go. But we'll see what he can do. A&M has a higher ceiling than UK I believe. But there is going to be huge pressure there after the buyout they just paid.

UK is boned. I'll be astonished if they can do as well as Stoops again.

Last edited:
This hire is such a head scratcher. You’re replacing a guy whose ceiling was 8 wins and couldn’t coach in the big games, with a guy whose ceiling is 8 wins and can’t coach in the big games. Call me crazy, but did Kiffin say no? He’s reached his ceiling at Ole Miss and would be a monster at A&M. Really baffling move.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Never seen so much love for Stoops until today lol. If he done so much good with less, why didn’t Tn go after him 3 years ago? For real… again, if I’m wrong I’ll apologize in 3-4 years.

Reactions: volfaninky
I truly believe they will get the same results. Jimbo recruited at an elite level honestly, and did not get it done. Also, Jimbo was able to recruit based on his name and what he had done at FSU. Can Stoops recruit at the same level and yet cash in on the wins? Honestly, my opinion is no. We can come back to this in 3-4 years. If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize.
If he recruits at Jimbo’s level, I think he will win at a very high level. Think that’s the question.

I will say his top years at UK have been when the East has been at some of its lowest points outside of UGA.

This hire is such a head scratcher. You’re replacing a guy whose ceiling was 8 wins and couldn’t coach in the big games, with a guy whose ceiling is 8 wins and can’t coach in the big games. Call me crazy, but did Kiffin say no? He’s reached his ceiling at Ole Miss and would be a monster at A&M. Really baffling move.
Freshwater would not fit at A&M.

Stoops is probably the most under rated coach in the SEC. Does more with less. Always had a stout defense at UK, and occasionally a great offense.

Everyone wants the flashy name like the Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin or Dabo, or whatever, but Stoops will be solid.

I think he will have success at A&M. Will he recruit well? We will see.

But I like Stoops. I'll be interested to see who Kentucky hires. I don't see them getting much better than Stoops.
Agreed. Stoops is a good coach. Now we will see what he can do with a program that has major resources.

Stoops is probably the most under rated coach in the SEC. Does more with less. Always had a stout defense at UK, and occasionally a great offense.

Everyone wants the flashy name like the Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin or Dabo, or whatever, but Stoops will be solid.

I think he will have success at A&M. Will he recruit well? We will see.

But I like Stoops. I'll be interested to see who Kentucky hires. I don't see them getting much better than Stoops.
As a Vol, I’m happy he’s gone from UK. He’s the best they’ll get and only helps us in the long run.

Reactions: Post4Vols
Stoops never had any real pressure on him to win at Kentucky either. He’s in for a rude awakening at A&M. Of course, he could just be dreaming of a $76MM buyout (which isn’t going to be anywhere close to their offer).

2024 Schedule

Home Games
  • Notre Dame (Aug. 31)
  • McNeese (Sept. 7)
  • Bowling Green (Sept. 21)
  • New Mexico State (Nov. 16)
  • *Arkansas (Arlington)
  • *LSU (TBD)
  • *Missouri (TBD)
  • *Texas (TBD)
Away Games
  • *Auburn (TBD)
  • *Florida (TBD)
  • *Mississippi State (TBD)
  • *South Carolina (TBD)
I see at least four losses next year, even with the talent Jimbo recruited.

Stoops is an average coach. He is 73-64 at Kentucky. His SEC record is 35-55. He has never won more than 5 SEC games in a season. He has feasted on a very easy non conference schedule. The last two years he has won 3 SEC games each.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I wanted him when we hired huepel. His track record says he can stabilize a program. Now winning the sec ans heading to a playoff. Not sure. But soon it will be top 8 or 12 teams go. So easier to make it.

Reactions: DarkVolder

VN Store

Back