A&M (not) hiring Mark Stoops

They had some familiarity with Elko given his previous stint as DC.

Been solid at Duke.

Hire makes sense to me. I just don't see a Ryan Day or Dabo type making the jump nowadays to another program.

I'm guessing the powers that be at KY aren't thrilled with Stoops given they just gave him an extension and raise last year through 2031.

Nice to be watching the coaching chaos unfold from a distance for a change.

Looks like A&M is trying to hire Duke’s head coach now. 🤣.

5 win seasons under Fulmer got him fired. If he would have continued having 9 win seasons he would have been ok.
What we did wrong was not having a new hire ready to go before firing him. We had no plan
I think I'd stretch "coaching hires can burn it all down to the ground" to include AD hires.

We had no plan when we canned Fulmer and no plan when we hired him as AD either. While things needed to change in those situations, we didn't have a good plan in place either time.

I think the Jimbo situation is going to eventually cost Bjork his job at aTm too. And I'm all for complete chaos in College Station so the portal is full of guys they tried to buy a championship with.

An average coach would not win 10 games at Kentucky. An average coach would be 3-8 year in and year out at Kentucky
In 11 years at Kentucky, Stoops has only beaten two teams who ended the season with a winning record in the conference. TWO. He pads his win total with a weak OOC slate each year, beats Vanderbilt, and picks up 2-3 other wins vs middling SEC teams - usually some combination of South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Miss State, & Arkansas, depending on the year.

He is Fool’s Gold.

I'm somewhat suspicious now of the story that A&M rejected Stoops and not he them.
They rejected him once the backlash began. The problem is they also screwed themselves b/c once it was leaked that Stoops was the guy, then backtracked, other big-time candidates told them to stick it.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Mid tier coaches turning your program down? Tennessee fans know a thing or two, because we’ve seen a thing or two. Welcome to the pit of misery A&M. Bring it back Agggsss!

Reactions: mpfvol
In 11 years at Kentucky, Stoops has only beaten two teams who ended the season with a winning record in the conference. TWO. He pads his win total with a weak OOC slate each year, beats Vanderbilt, and picks up 2-3 other wins vs middling SEC teams - usually some combination of South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Miss State, & Arkansas, depending on the year.

He is Fool’s Gold.
He is at Kentucky tho

Stoops couldn’t win in the East and with Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC they are expecting him to win in the West and keep up recruiting against Auburn , Bama and LSU? This has to be the most hilarious hire and cannot wait to see A&M’s message board.

Edit: Just realized that the East and West is done however, doesn’t change the fact that Stoops will still have to recruit that area against Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC.
I think Stoops would have dd good st A&M, he has done very good at Ky with less talent than most teams he played. He would have a much greater recruiting budget at A&M and much more nil. But he is not going.

They rejected him once the backlash began. The problem is they also screwed themselves b/c once it was leaked that Stoops was the guy, then backtracked, other big-time candidates told them to stick it.
Evidently a lot posting on Elko don’t follow much football.

He’s been one of the hottest names in coaching and for good reason.

Evidently a lot posting on Elko don’t follow much football.

He’s been one of the hottest names in coaching and for good reason.
Didn’t say he wasn’t, but I wouldn’t put him in the “big time candidate” category. That would be Dabo, Kiffin, Day, etc.

Several A&M fans I have spoken with are not enamored with the hire.

Vols fan way down in Aggieland. Aggie fans seem to be very pleased with this hire. Only time will tell. With Texas and Oklahoma coming in next year, they better get this on right, or they could be an also-ran for a long time.

Vols fan way down in Aggieland. Aggie fans seem to be very pleased with this hire. Only time will tell. With Texas and Oklahoma coming in next year, they better get this on right, or they could be an also-ran for a long time.
Everyone but 3 teams has been an also ran for over a decade

VN Store

Back