A&M (not) hiring Mark Stoops

Stoops couldn’t win in the East and with Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC they are expecting him to win in the West and keep up recruiting against Auburn , Bama and LSU? This has to be the most hilarious hire and cannot wait to see A&M’s message board.

Edit: Just realized that the East and West is done however, doesn’t change the fact that Stoops will still have to recruit that area against Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC.

Last edited:
That's funny. I said a few weeks ago after we beat him that Stoops has simply hit his ceiling at Kentucky and would have to go elsewhere if he wants a shot at a national title.

Good for him. I think people panning the hire should not be so quick. He's 47-28 over the past 6 seasons. Kentucky is not an easy place to win or recruit to. He's been playing with a severe talent disadvantage to much of the SEC and still getting good results. Be interesting to see how he fares at A&M with top-tier talent.

There's a contingent of Kentucky fans that want him gone now that may regret that pretty soon.

Stoops couldn’t win in the East and with Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC they are expecting him to win in the West and keep up recruiting against Auburn , Bama and LSU? This has to be the most hilarious hire and cannot wait to see A&M’s message board.
Stoops took Kentucky as far as they will ever go. Recruiting is all about NIL at this point. He will recruit just fine there. It’s not the route I expected them to go, but I don’t think it’s a bad hire.

It’s hit the Kentucky boards and the views are mixed with most in denial.

Stoops will do better than people expect there. KY is a hard place to win and he’s done better there than anyone who came before him

there are no divisions east and west beginning next year

Stoops took Kentucky as far as they will ever go. Recruiting is all about NIL at this point. He will recruit just fine there. It’s not the route I expected them to go, but I don’t think it’s a bad hire.
I truly believe they will get the same results. Jimbo recruited at an elite level honestly, and did not get it done. Also, Jimbo was able to recruit based on his name and what he had done at FSU. Can Stoops recruit at the same level and yet cash in on the wins? Honestly, my opinion is no. We can come back to this in 3-4 years. If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize.

Stoops is probably the most under rated coach in the SEC. Does more with less. Always had a stout defense at UK, and occasionally a great offense.

Everyone wants the flashy name like the Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin or Dabo, or whatever, but Stoops will be solid.

I think he will have success at A&M. Will he recruit well? We will see.

But I like Stoops. I'll be interested to see who Kentucky hires. I don't see them getting much better than Stoops.

Good for him. I think people panning the hire should not be so quick. He's 47-28 over the past 6 seasons. Kentucky is not an easy place to win or recruit to. He's been playing with a severe talent disadvantage to much of the SEC and still getting good results. Be interesting to see how he fares at A&M with top-tier talent.
Stoops never had any real pressure on him to win at Kentucky either. He’s in for a rude awakening at A&M. Of course, he could just be dreaming of a $76MM buyout (which isn’t going to be anywhere close to their offer).

VN Store

Back