9-1-16? (Vols' season opener moved to Thursday)

"Tennessee has not played a regular season contest on a Thursday since 1996 when the Vols defeated Ole Miss by a score of 41-3 in Memphis. Additionally, the last time a Tennessee football program opened the season on a Thursday was in 1991 when the 11th-ranked Vols traveled to Louisville and grabbed a 28-11 win over the Cardinals.

However, Thursday football in Knoxville has become a rarity since the formation of the Southeastern Conference in 1933. One must reach back into the record books to 1938 to find the last time Tennessee hosted a football game on a Thursday. That year, the Vols entertained Kentucky for a Thanksgiving Day contest, earning a 46-0 victory over the Wildcats. Even more remarkably, it’s been more than a century since the Vols played a home season opener on a Thursday. The last time that occurred was 1896 when the Volunteers began that season’s four-game campaign with a 10-6 victory over Williamsburg Institute (now University of the Cumberlands) on Thursday, Oct. 22 in Knoxville."

Thanks Doc, this is good stuff. Seems like Thursday night games are good for us!

Reactions: 1 person
Just scheduled off work for 9/1 & 2 . Going to be a great extended football weekend with some really good games on Saturday. Also it gives us extra time to focus on Virginia Tech and heading to Bristol. I like it on opening night at the end of summer with Autumn closing in. I would be against it in the middle of season on a chilly night with a short week of prep.

Reactions: 3 people
I had just sent an e-mail to another donor stating the same thing.

In no way is this "cool." We are not a 2nd tier football squad like ESPN normally trots out on the field.

This was all Hart and all about money.

Vandy and SC will be playing at the same time on ESPN....That should tell you all you need to know about Thursday night games.

Yeah the only Power 5 conference team vs another Power 5 conference team game that night is Oregon State vs Minnesota.

The rest are pretty much all FBS vs FCS (and one or two smaller Power 5 school vs Group of 5 school).

Last edited:
just saw this

"Tennessee's season opener against Appalachian State has been moved from Sept. 3 to Sept. 1, multiple sources at Tennessee confirmed to GoVols247 on Thursday.

The Vols and Mountaineers will kickoff the Thursday game at 7:30 p.m. Eastern, and it'll be broadcast by SEC Network.

GoVols247 will have more on this developing story later in the day."

JUST IN: Vols' season opener moved

I don't like us playing on a Thursday, but I fully understand, and I agree because of these points:

1. Logistically, it gives those in the athletic department two extra days to get things to Bristol and to get things set up for that game. Plus, it gives the coaches and players 48 extra hours to prepare/rest up/heal for the Bristol game.

2. Our game vs. Appy State is way down the priority list for the average college football fan that weekend. There are some great games lined up that weekend and we would not even be an afterthought for anyone other than those of us who bleed Big Orange.

3. For those of you who will be in attendance, the 7:30 p.m. start will be much better from a weather standpoint. It will be warm, but it shouldn't be blazing hot. I would love to be there, but I live near Orlando (behind enemy lines), and there is this thing called work.

4. We gone whip Mountaineers!

5. #GBO #VFL

6. Most important reason... :bammer:

Reactions: 5 people
Let's recap:

Pros:
-Football comes 2 days earlier
-Now we all get to watch the full slate of Saturday games
-Definitely a night game (not scorching hot)
-2 more days to prepare for Battle of Bristol

Cons:
-We're Tennessee so we shouldn't play on a Thursday?

Reactions: 8 people
I had just sent an e-mail to another donor stating the same thing.

In no way is this "cool." We are not a 2nd tier football squad like ESPN normally trots out on the field.

This was all Hart and all about money.

Vandy and SC will be playing at the same time on ESPN....That should tell you all you need to know about Thursday night games.

You think the game hurts our prestige or something? That makes no sense. No one would have noticed the game opposite all the other football games on that Saturday.

(1) I'm sure they didn't have much of a choice.

(2) If they did, how petty would the SEC and ESPN think it would be if Hart threw a fit to keep the game on Saturday.

(3) Maybe money was an incentive (money is always good).

(4) As far as the betterment of the team, we get more rest for the Battle at Bristol.

This is not some slant from ESPN as to the quality of the program. Look at the lineup for Saturday. There are some great game match ups and some one-sided games like ours. Obviously, something had to go to Thursday. If you look at the SEC OOC non-Power 5 games for that day, I'd say ours is the most interesting to watch. Gotta have something entertaining to watch on Thursday night because Vandy v. USCe could get boring. Trotting out Florida v. UMass wouldn't remedy any boredom.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's recap:

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah people are blowing this out of proportion. It's a great move for us to get a couple more days of prep for one of the most hyped games in a really long time. I say it's a good thing.

All I know is I should be able to find a cheaper ticket for better seats

Better hope there are rooms available for Thursday night now. Going to cost the knoxville business a few dollars here.

My god, some of you will complain about the dumbest ****.

Well it isnt the dumbest **** for those of us who don't live in Knoxville and like to go to the games. I would have went for sure but now I have to decide if it is worth it to take off two days of work and my son missing a day of school for App State? I'm thinking I will probably be selling some tickets.

Reactions: 7 people
Well it isnt the dumbest **** for those of us who don't live in Knoxville and like to go to the games. I would have went for sure but now I have to decide if it is worth it to take off two days of work and my son missing a day of school for App State? I'm thinking I will probably be selling some tickets.

Yep, this makes my planned trip down from Roanoke, VA an issue.

I wouldn't care if it was just me coming down- I have flexible hours- but I was planning on bringing two App State graduate friends and my girlfriend (all who have jobs that don't have as much flexibility) to this game. Looks like that probably got screwed up.

Reactions: 3 people
This sucks. I make fun of the Carolina fans for having their opener on Thursday every year. I believe this will be the first game at Neyland on Thursday.

Actually it's great. We woulda been drowned out that Saturday with so many big games going on.

Now we'll have the eyes of the entire nation and get to kick off the college football season.

I love it.

You think the game hurts our prestige or something? That makes no sense. No one would have noticed the game opposite all the other football games on that Saturday.

To some extent, yes. We are better than that. I'm sure Bama would jump all over a Thursday night game.

But beyond that, how are you going to get recruits in to see this game? Being most will be playing the next night, you won't.

For season ticket holders like myself with a 4 hour drive, a wife and 2 kids still in grade school, making this trip is impossible.

It's just a bad deal all the way around.

Reactions: 7 people
Let's recap:

Pros:

Cons:
Cons: people have planned on a sturdy weekend game with hotels booked and coming in from out of town. Now can't come because Friday off is not an option

"Even more remarkably, it’s been more than a century since the Vols played a home season opener on a Thursday. The last time that occurred was 1896 when the Volunteers began that season’s four-game campaign with a 10-6 victory over Williamsburg Institute (now University of the Cumberlands) on Thursday, Oct. 22 in Knoxville."

I remember that game. Small crowd. People had to work the next day, but on Saturday everyone got to follow multiple games by telegraph...

When I was a student I always wondered what it would be like to have a game on a school day. I'm assuming that's a school day

VN Store

Back